Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2006, 12:14 AM   #1
Almost There

I need a Used or Rebuilt Transmission (AT545)

My tranny is slipping like all hell in all forward gears. Sadly I think the best option is to get a Used Transmission (due to my low funds).

I could rebuild it myself (with the help of a friend), but rebuild kids seem to be quite expensive, and who knows, you might need more parts aside from that.

I could pay someone to rebuild it, but Im sure it would be cheaper to buy a rebuilt one already.

So.. any good links on used transmissions, or any info?

Thanks!

ParadigmCrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:05 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1984
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: orig.327, now 429
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via ICQ to abdabbs Send a message via AIM to abdabbs
transmission

Where are you located at ? Dont you have a local pick and pull you can check out ?

I know I could source one out from here in Des Moines for you if you know which one you need. I had an engine shipped here from Illinois for about 120 bucks with CCX shipping. But there is a local yard here that would probably have a tranny for ya.

TonyC in Iowa
abdabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:23 AM   #3
Almost There

Unfortuantly My bus is stuck at a friends house in bumfuck (Holtville CA). Its about 120 miles from sandiego though.

I guess I could get up to sandiego and check it out. Do you know if they do any sort of minor inspection or testing? Or is it really a roll of the dice?

I found one place online that sells AT545's used from 250-350 bucks, which is my price range. But they are in florida

Im also close to mexico, but I bet thats an even more roll of the dice.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:24 PM   #4
Almost There

Well I ended up going with a remanufactured transmission. I found a great deal via a seller on ebay. They had previously listed an AT545 transmission on ebay, but it didnt sell, so I gave them a call. I had him check the part number on the transmission and it matched mine!

The seller gave me a deal 900 bucks NO CORE CHARGE, 150 shipping.

So I got a completely remanufactured transmission for 1050, and I still have my old core, which I can sell to a place near me that buys old cores from transmissions,

The seller had all positive remarks (all 250 of them). Its a dependabuilt reman AT545 transmission. Now I just gotta wait for it to get here... glad I held out and did research before just buying something right away.

I got quotes anywhere from 450 for a used transmission,and anywhere from 1100 to 3000 for rebuilding mine, already rebuilt, or remaned ones.

Hoping I can recover a few hundred from selling my core, which would make this a really good deal.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:27 AM   #5
Almost There

Year: 1984
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: orig.327, now 429
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via ICQ to abdabbs Send a message via AIM to abdabbs
tranny

Good to hear it worked out for ya!

I never went to check on the prices since I didnt see a response about going to look. Dont know what kinda deal the yard I go to gives or anything. When I got my engine out of Illinois the place gave me a 1yr/15000 mile waranty (wish it didnt have the year stipulation on it, 15000 would last me 4-5 years LOL) on it used as long as I had it professionally looked at when I was done installing it.

Just out of curiousity, do you know who they were shipping it with.

Good Luck !

TonyC in Iowa
abdabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:04 PM   #6
Almost There

It was shiped via Roadway Express. It was the only place that would ship it for 150 to where I was. I also had to drive down to the dock and pick it up myself with a pickup truck (they forked it on).

I spent two days taking out my old tranny.

Why is it always the last bolt?! I couldnt get one bolt out cuz the head was rounded, and had to use a cutting torch to cut the head off. heh

Anyways, got the tranny out, putting my new one in tomarrow hopefully.

This is the first transmission Ive ever changed out. I had someone help me with it cuz the fucker weighs about 280 pounds with no fluid in it! Luckily I had a motorcycle jack that worked great for dropping the tranny down.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:04 AM   #7
Bus Nut

One thing I like about working on the bus is that you can get under it without jacking it up! Changed a trans in my 1986 Trans Am a while back. Had to get it 2 feet off of the ground!
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote