Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2007, 07:43 PM   #1

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: I THINK I have FINALLY found my SHORT BUS! :D

What's your downside? Nothing. Buy the bus. If that is what you have been looking for, go for it. If that bus gets sold, you'll be kicking yourself. My 1 1/2 cents. Good luck.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
Bus Geek

agreed! Worse case scenario is that it turns out to be a dud and you take it to the scrap yard for most of what you paid for it. Most buses just seem to run forever. Having a sbc makes finding parts and working on it if the need arises easy as pie.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:03 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus
That's what scares me, I just want to make sure the thing lasts if I get it; because when something on an automobile quits it can get very expensive, very fast
That my friend, is the million dollar question.

Look at it this way, you can either play it safe and not get it... or take a chance and have something you've always dreamed of owing (at least I always dreamed of owning a bus)

I say go for it.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:56 AM   #4

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

I think you're splitting hairs. If I were selling something for $1400 and someone asked me to do all that, I'd throw them off my property. I'd also raise the price. Time to fish or cut bait.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:52 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

I agree. Give the guy the $1,400 and change the oil and stuff yourself. That stuff is EASY. You may not know anything about mechanics, but there's always a time to learn. I think $1,400 is a great deal for that bus. I wish I could find a short bus around here for that price. I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. Even if it is a 1985 model. 350 engine parts, the associated tranny's, and the rear ends are DIRT CHEAP relatively. I don't think you can go wrong. If anything breaks, there's always this forum and the rest of the internet to help you figure it out.
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:20 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

As far as color...yes, it needs to be something other than school bus yellow here in Minnesota. The stop arm also must be removed and any mention of "school" on it.

I would not be worried. Yes, costs COULD add up...but not to much to be perfectly honest. A rebuild kit for a small block Chevy is $200 from Northern Auto Parts. I just purchased a roller vortec motor that is complete, but spun a rod bearing for $150. Even a catastrophic failure in the engine department would be relatively cheap. The labor might cost a little, but come on...it's a small block Chevy so just about any backyard mechanic should be able to handle it.

The transmission is likely to either be a Turbo Hydramatic 400 or a 700R4. I would lean towards TH400, but if it is a 4 speed it will be a 700R4. In either case rebuilds are cheap and actually relatively easy, even for a backyard kind of guy. A stock rebuild kit for that TH400 would be about $150 and you could do it yourself with a good book, some feeler gauges, and regular handtools in a weekend.

The rear end is likely to be either a 14 bolt full floater or a Dana 70. Both are rock solid pieces and common enough to be affordable.

My thoughts? Buy it up. You shouldn't be disappointed.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: Chevorlet AT545 Allison auto
Engine: 8.2 litter Detriot Deisel
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via AIM to DizzyIzzy Send a message via MSN to DizzyIzzy Send a message via Yahoo to DizzyIzzy

Buy it1 or i will. Where is it? lol. I Love chevys/GMC's from the 80's easy to fix cheap too and yolu can find parts anywhere. i want one.
Left a bus stop in its place
The bus came by and I got on
That's when it all began
There was cowboy Neal
At the wheel
Of a bus to never-ever land"
DizzyIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:59 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

i have to agree with the rest of the guys that sounds like a perfect starter or keeper bus! small block chevys are amoung the best of v8 engines parts from almost any 80s chev or gm will fit once you learn the chevy ways you can work them all also it will be easier to get tires with that bus 16 inch tires ill bet all that running gear will be compatible with 1 ton chevys if its a dually or 3/4 ton if its a single lots of van parts will fit too! get it live it love it!
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:14 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

oh yea a ton of parts will fit that bus it should have a quadrajet 4 barrell card on it these are all very alike so most carbs will fit in the 80s fuel injection came in around 86 or 87 so you will have one of the last carbed 350s brakes rear ends trannys driveshafts are all pretty standard you cannot even buy a 1 ton for that price in that vintage my 65 chevy 30 foot bus has a 350 in it and does the job well you may have a overdrive tranny there has been some trouble with these but usually they work well that is problably the cheapest bus you could own when it comes to partswhere is bus pix?
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:55 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

The 350 Chevy was used from 1967 to 2005 in various vehicles. It is still being used by Mercury Marine. Sure, there are subtle differences between them all, but I guess a person could say that is offset by the fact that parts from other small block chevy engines also swap over.

You should have a 2 piece rear main seal in that engine. That means stuff from 1967 to 1985 will fit it. Even if it had a 1 piece rear main everything but the crank would swap. The only 350's that lack a lot of interchangeability of parts might be the LT and LS series as well as the L31 Vortec motors. Even then...A LOT of stuff is the same.

The only unique thing on that van will be the short water pump setup. That's not terribly unique, but it is not what you would find commonly on say a truck 350. Does it matter? Nope! You have all the correct brackets and a short water pump is no more expensive than a long water pump.

Assuming it is a Turbo 400 tranny it was used from 1964 until atleast 1992 and possibly later depending on whom you ask. If it is a 700R4 you're looking at 1984-1992 with a lot of interchangeability with the 4L60E still used today.

Your rear axle should be either a 14 bolt or a Dana 70 as I stated before. For some interesting reading check out Billa Vista's 14 bolt bible. I think you will quickly understand how great that axle is as well. http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista...ble/index.html

Don't be scared. Give in to it. It truly is simplicity.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:51 PM   #11
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm

I wouldn't worry about buying it. Mine is a 1990 and I had to change a few sensors and give it a tune-up last year. The only concern for me is the cost of towing if it breaks down since I haul with it so I pay for towing insurance since it's pretty cheap. Parts for it are readily available since they made that model van until the late 90's and I'm sure the suspension/engine parts were used even more recently than that. A cheap investment would be a Chilton's manual or similar DIY manual and read a lot on how to diagnose and cure problems yourself. It's not as tough as it seems if you are brave enough to jump in with both feet. Good luck and post pictures soon.
Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:14 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60
Re: I think I've finally found my short bus!

As far as your bus leaning to the left, it could be bad body mounts (easy fix), or a bad front suspension. Or, it could just be a factory defect. In the mid 90's, Chevy did the same thing to the S-10. A defect or miscalculation in the frames made the truck lean a bit to the left. I have a 96 S-10 and it's always leaned to the left. I call it my "gangsta lean". Nothing you can do to fix it. If it drives straight down the road, I wouldn't worry about it.
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote