Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: 3126 7.2
I too was seeking BUS ADVICE, and received not one comment

Hi I am just wondering why i didn't receive any response to some questions i posted long ago, and yet i see another user with several answers to the same questions i pretty much posted... PLEASE EXPLAIN???

SilentReprieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentReprieve View Post
Hi I am just wondering why i didn't receive any response to some questions i posted long ago, and yet i see another user with several answers to the same questions i pretty much posted... PLEASE EXPLAIN???
It's possible that the forum was busy when those questions got posted and they got buried under a bunch of new postings... it happens sometimes...
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:31 PM   #3
Skoolie

yes that is possible... thank you for such a quick response
Old 04-14-2018, 01:36 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Make a comment on your original post with the questions so it will re-appear on the 'recent threads' area. Hopefully that will help!

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
what this forum needs is a WIKI.. so people like yourself looking for bus advice.. esp if its common like drivetrain, brands, years, lengths, etc have an easy place to find it.. the search on this forum is crap.. and most dont know about google site search and eventhat isnt great
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbloem1974 View Post
Make a comment on your original post with the questions so it will re-appear on the 'recent threads' area. Hopefully that will help!

John
John, thank you for the advice... that would certainly work, however i purchased the bus and will be picking it up the first week of May...
Going in blind but the little research iv'e done between on youtube and mechanics ive talked I decided to get the bus i was liking and just going for it...
Old 04-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
what this forum needs is a WIKI.. so people like yourself looking for bus advice.. esp if its common like drivetrain, brands, years, lengths, etc have an easy place to find it.. the search on this forum is crap.. and most dont know about google site search and eventhat isnt great
-Christopher
it needs something, but i am not sure what...
Old 04-14-2018, 02:48 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Ya...I still don't understand why this forum does not have a decent "site search". It's as common elsewhere as fleas on feral cats.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:57 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
SilentReprieve,

I'm not one to comment on bus makes/models as I know nothing about them. For topics that I know something about, I am much quicker to reply when the questions are clear (to include reasonable grammar, punctuation, capitalization), not something that the poster could easily find with a simple search, and I have some idea to whom I am speaking (this means a signature with a name - maybe more).

The search thing has me a bit confused as there is a search option up in the toolbar. It is the typical vBulletin search and it seems to work ok for me (here as well as other vBulletin forums). Of course, I don't know what results it is NOT returning so perhaps it really isn't any good. ??? I dunno...
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:11 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
SilentReprieve,

I'm not one to comment on bus makes/models as I know nothing about them. For topics that I know something about, I am much quicker to reply when the questions are clear (to include reasonable grammar, punctuation, capitalization), not something that the poster could easily find with a simple search, and I have some idea to whom I am speaking (this means a signature with a name - maybe more).

The search thing has me a bit confused as there is a search option up in the toolbar. It is the typical vBulletin search and it seems to work ok for me (here as well as other vBulletin forums). Of course, I don't know what results it is NOT returning so perhaps it really isn't any good. ??? I dunno...
Tango may have been a little sarcastic

The site now has a very good, Google Search feature. It always did have that feature if you know how to search Goole though, but the site just made that easier.

There are times when I give the same answer, time and time again ... and there are others where I ignore posts where the OP would have found the answer quickly and easily using the site search.

The "recent" column on this site moves very fast. It's also quite possible that the OP scrolled away.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
SilentReprieve;263908]Hi I am just wondering why i didn't receive any response to some questions i posted long ago, and yet i see another user with several answers to the same questions i pretty much posted... PLEASE EXPLAIN???

A lot of posters here ,especially new ones, throw out a list of questions that the information has been answered many many times. It is almost like the new posters expect someone to do there research for them . My suggestion is to read backwards through the forums , use the crummy search engine and use you tube and do searches for individual parts like "Allison AT 545 transmission instead of bluebird transmissionand remember no one here has to EXPLAIN anything to you. And as others have mentioned, sometimes posts get buried.
Anyhow, nice looking bus!
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetboy View Post
SilentReprieve;263908]Hi I am just wondering why i didn't receive any response to some questions i posted long ago, and yet i see another user with several answers to the same questions i pretty much posted... PLEASE EXPLAIN???

A lot of posters here ,especially new ones, throw out a list of questions that the information has been answered many many times. It is almost like the new posters expect someone to do there research for them . My suggestion is to read backwards through the forums , use the crummy search engine and use you tube and do searches for individual parts like "Allison AT 545 transmission instead of bluebird transmissionand remember no one here has to EXPLAIN anything to you. And as others have mentioned, sometimes posts get buried.
I'm not sure that everyone realizes that the "crummy search engine" is now awesome

They added "Google Search" to the internal search box.

What that does is, instead of attempting to search the internal database, something that never works on any forum I've ever seen, it does this:

It basically opens a google page with the following search:

""Your search terms here" site:skoolie.net"

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:22 PM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetboy View Post

well thank you Rivetboy..It is a great looking bus... wish i didnt have to paint over that beautiful Bus Chrome... I was doing research and schoolie.net was my only place that i felt Could connect with others and really hear their good and bad points... I dont want to talk to a computer, nora taped machine... I like INTERACTION with others.. and HATE typing so much ... but this is how we do now...

Jim
Old 04-15-2018, 01:41 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I think the search engine works better here than most sites. I love that you can use it to search here at the forum, or search Google itself. Many new posters asking questions that have not only been answered, but whole threads that have been dedicated to that single question. One I see often is "Where do I buy a bus?". If you just type that into the search bar it brings up many threads and info on the subject.

What question did you ask that you didn't get the appropriate response to?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:03 PM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I think the search engine works better here than most sites. I love that you can use it to search here at the forum, or search Google itself. Many new posters asking questions that have not only been answered, but whole threads that have been dedicated to that single question. One I see often is "Where do I buy a bus?". If you just type that into the search bar it brings up many threads and info on the subject.

oh i spose it wasnt anything important, just seen that it wa viewed and not replied to by anyone... it was just general questions about the 3126 ... thomas buses... what to look for .. but I decided to buy it anyways

Jim
Old 04-15-2018, 02:09 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post

You know I had not used the search engine since I tried it when first last year. It now links with google so it seems better.
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:15 PM   #17
Skoolie

Old 04-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Tango may have been a little sarcastic
Doh!! Guess I'm a little slow today.. this week....
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Yeah, Steve, you tolerate noobs asking the same thing over and over much better than a lot of us, and bless you for it. "Noob" is short for "new blood" and every community needs a steady supply.

I most often don't answer these sorts of questions because I don't yet have a bus and hence ALL of my knowledge comes from my ~4 years of reading and participating here. So the best I can do is regurgitate the collected wisdom, something that a search engine would be better at.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison cat 3126