Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2019, 12:39 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
There was a near new Peterbuilt in the local tow yard after tangling with a bull moose at 60mph.

You could kinda tell what it used to be....

SDS can be a bitch........

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:42 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
From what I’ve read those Winnie’s are pretty good. I’ve had 3 Chevy vans now and that’s a decent year. I like my old 1995 G30 and my 2002 Express van but they don’t drive like a 2003 which was a new generation of Express vans.
To me seems like a lot of investment for three months. Why not do a year and three months? It takes a lot of time to learn how I like to RV and to travel and go places takes time. But you know yourself and your circumstances better than anyone else.
Im a solar technician and have large custom systems on all my vans but the off-the-shelf systems like goal zero are very convenient. My experience is it is difficult to get compensated for a nice custom solar energy system when you go to sell.
Happy camping.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:15 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Congrats on your decision. It is hard to beat a product that has been developed over years and years by hundreds of engineers. For specific missions or just for the joy of tinkering it might be fun to build a DIY rv.
Have a great journey.

J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:22 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Near where i live in CT, the fire department responds to a car accident on the interstate. Something had traveled through the center of the car. Like a missle .Lengthwise. Went between the driver and passenger, hitting the sides of both but they survived. The two surviors had no idea what hit them.
Thinking it was a motorcycle, the fire department went looking for it and found a dead moose further up the road.
Police determined it charged the car and ran at full speed and hit the car headon.
It died, but it tore thourgh the center of the car , out the other end and kept going before it died.
Moose are not nice things to hit
yfrank14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:45 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfrank14 View Post
Near where i live in CT, the fire department responds to a car accident on the interstate. Something had traveled through the center of the car. Like a missle .Lengthwise. Went between the driver and passenger, hitting the sides of both but they survived. The two surviors had no idea what hit them.
Thinking it was a motorcycle, the fire department went looking for it and found a dead moose further up the road.
Police determined it charged the car and ran at full speed and hit the car headon.
It died, but it tore thourgh the center of the car , out the other end and kept going before it died.
Moose are not nice things to hit
I have been accused at times as being 'The Master of Understatement' - I hereby pass the crown on to you ! -
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:47 PM   #26
Bus Nut

So I realized I haven't updated in a while -

So far, so good.

Camping has been fun, and I haven't found any serious problems with the rig yet.
(This is after 4 long weekends with a 200-mile round trip.)

The biggest takeaway I think I have right now is that I'm glad I didn't jump right in to a skoolie - since I'm still constantly changing my mind and thinking about what-ifs, but it can stay in my head since my rig is built, and I'm not about to go tearing down walls.

I'll get a more detailed update with pictures this weekend (hopefully.)

Only took 500 skoolie posts to get camping!

(Yay 500th post!)
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:48 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
LOL ... slow learner!

Congratulations on hitting the 500 mark.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
I’m doing something similar. I bought my present school bus and took out the seats getting ready to convert. Then bought a Motorhome so now I can take my time converting the bus. I’m glad I did as the conversion ideas and materials keeps evolving. Yesterday I found some very interesting materials at a surplus yard. The bus is also useful for storage for a this year while I reorganize. I’ve read a lot of people buy a bus and use it to move lol.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote