Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2021, 01:01 PM   #41
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighNoone View Post
Hahaha, I've thought the same thing. Kinda like a vegan hanging out at a butcher shop. Think for fun on Friday and Saturday night he stands outside the local bar and tells people about the evils of alcohol?

I had visions of 1800s prohibitionist & puritans outside of the western saloon.
"Damn ye sinners, gamblers and loose women......"
Ha.

DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:52 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
The pre-emissions supply problem for skoolies is one of many reasons I'm looking hard at an MCI or other coach chassis for my next build.

Your bus looks really good and it seems to be live able. I like your all electric heating approach. You just need fine tuning, Why would you start on a new bus for a next one?

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:08 PM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Your bus looks really good and it seems to be live able. I like your all electric heating approach. You just need fine tuning, Why would you start on a new bus for a next one?
Kind of off topic...

3-6 extra feet of space for a better layout primarily, and the underbay storage. I could do some pretty crazy things like a recirculating shower, larger fresh/black/grey tanks (think 300gal each),put much of my infrastructure below deck. Also, bunks in the lower deck for visitors.

I can fix most of my existing problems as you pointed out, and I intend to do so. The skoolie build will also be better suited for less than stellar roads than a coach, although not by much. If I can get my desired engine/transmission swap done, I'll have addressed its greatest weakness. #2 weakness: I didn't install radiant heat, and our floor gets cold. Hard to refactor that, although I'll eventually probably do electric there too.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:19 PM   #44
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Cheese wagon calling Cheese wagon

I wrote many paragraphs in response to your missive. At the touch of a button Poof! Dammit.

Any ways.

Insurance. dealer's license. Lawyer. capital.

Doing this as a side business or main income full time deal?

Do you have to deal with county or city laws that might get in your way?

Land to park busses without being hassled about having them parked.

Flood Plain? One flood and your stock is junk. Vandals?

I have thoughts on this subject but not interested in typing it all out again.

785 207 7600 Let us talk you and I and see what sticks.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:36 PM   #45
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
I wrote many paragraphs in response to your missive. At the touch of a button Poof! Dammit.
For future reference, if you mistakenly go back a page (verify this by the forward button being 'lit' or not), you can usually click the browser 'forward' arrow and get right back where you were. For mistakenly going to another page, the 'back' arrow will do the same. If you mistakenly select and delete what you were typing, CTRL-Z will generally undo what you just did. Will call tomorrow, did not see your message until 11:30 my time, no clue if you might still be awake.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:49 PM   #46
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Cheese,

Yup still up for at least the next hour or so

William
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:56 PM   #47
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
I think it would be more enjoyable to just grow pot. Straight forward. Insane profits.

I think it's insane that a turtle top and a Ford G350 are considered buses. I hear guys talking about their short bus build and it's an F'ng Ford Starcraft shuttle. Equipped up the yin yang with everything s man could only dream of. Distributers that jump time, fuel pumps inside the fuel tank, senders and sensors for hatches and fuel caps and low tire air and doors ajar and TCU's and ECMs and DPF and EGR...and whoa. Let me the F off the Bus. I'm buying a Mercury Marguis and staying in motels. It's more assured and cheaper.
I just won't be sitting up as high.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:34 PM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

Just my two cents as a Skooly with an MBA, write a short book. There’s all kinds of apps you can find that makes it easy. Go over different aspects that you need to consider when making a good purchase sell it for 1999 on Amazon. You’ll end up making a name for yourself people will talk about you and how much good advice you give parlay the book sales in some working capital combined with the fact that people trust your judgment and you’ll find investors.
Flying Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:52 PM   #49

Great Solution

Hi everyone,

I know people are buying bad buses and I understand that most bus dealers don't have time for rv conversion or skoolie people. Therefore, the people who understand buses well are not helping a buyer looking for one bus.

My company is much different. We specialize in used, low priced, buses. Our average bus sale is $3500 and most of the time is sold to a single buyer looking for a bus to convert into something cool: skoolie, rv, tiny home, chicken coup, storage unit, hunting shack, food truck, etc. We may be a little more than you can get a bus on an auction for but the extra cost is worth it. We put the bus through a standard DOT inspection and fix any major issues or simply recycle the buses that don't meet our standards.

If you are interested in buying from a school bus expert while avoiding a pile of junk, check us out: https://qualitybusandtruckparts.com/ or give us a call: 888-315-2575
QualityBusGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:31 PM   #50

Smile Would make a great service to the newbies like me

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
I see more and more newbies making bad purchases without doing their research lately. It has given me pause for thought -- perhaps I should become a bus dealer. The main problem is that I have limited startup capital. Thoughts?
Me and the hubs have started saving for our skoolie. We plan on looking for a broker or consultant because we are noobs for sure! We have looked at one and browse the internet all the time. And we don't want to get skewered out of our hard earned shekels. So if you do decide to jump into the consult game keep us in mind. We would need an educated eyes and ears and would surely pay a commission or finders fee or whatever it is called.
TianneH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:35 PM   #51
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TianneH View Post
Me and the hubs have started saving for our skoolie. We plan on looking for a broker or consultant because we are noobs for sure! We have looked at one and browse the internet all the time. And we don't want to get skewered out of our hard earned shekels. So if you do decide to jump into the consult game keep us in mind. We would need an educated eyes and ears and would surely pay a commission or finders fee or whatever it is called.
Sending PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:56 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by TianneH View Post
Check out my Facebook page CROWNING AROUND

platforms are my forte'.
mokibrabrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:14 PM   #53
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
I have a cutaway van skoolie conversion but I’ve had 4 full size buses. It’s been a long time since I built a full size conversion and would like to do another before the all mechanical ones are all taken. Sure wish I’d kept the 69 Dodge gasser, 5 speed with splitter. Hindsight is a bear. I just wanted to say I appreciate your input on this forum Cheese and it would be missed. The idea of taking the best from RVs (engines and transmissions) and combining them with the best from newer emission skoolies (the chassis) has a lot of merit. I imagine the Mexicans and Central Americans might be doing it as we speak. What about making a deal with a shop over the border and bringing them back? May be a bad idea. Just my 2 cents worth.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:16 PM   #54
Almost There

Coachwork: Bluebird 35 shuttle cng
Engine: John deere
Rated Cap: 36
Dealer license

Cheese
I might be interested in helping you out. I had a dealer license here in california years ago but didnt make any money at it because i liked finding buying and fixing up cars and motorcycles and did several hundred by the time i was done with college. So if i do this full time i could make a fortune right? Turns out i hated waiting around for people to come by and when they did they didnt like buying from someone who looks like they just got done working on a car, which i did. It lasted a couple years then i went on to be a cpa. In california we have a lot of buses that cant be sold here but can be transported out of state.I am very busy doing demolition but i have room at my yard for dozens of buses, a landoll trailer for transport, and the money to invest. I am a rotarian and live my life by the four way test
Is it the truth
Is it fair to all concerned
Will it build goodwill and better friendships
Will it be beneficial to all concerned

I like to help people find the best solution for themselves and if i can make money on the deal great, if i am not the best solution for their needs i will steer them to someone who can. It sounds like you have the same mindset. Just because you make money in a deal doesnt mean you cant also give them free true advice in this forum. Let me know if i mighr be able to help.
John mcnamara
demoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:39 PM   #55
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoman View Post
Cheese
I might be interested in helping you out. I had a dealer license here in california years ago but didnt make any money at it because i liked finding buying and fixing up cars and motorcycles and did several hundred by the time i was done with college. So if i do this full time i could make a fortune right? Turns out i hated waiting around for people to come by and when they did they didnt like buying from someone who looks like they just got done working on a car, which i did. It lasted a couple years then i went on to be a cpa. In california we have a lot of buses that cant be sold here but can be transported out of state.I am very busy doing demolition but i have room at my yard for dozens of buses, a landoll trailer for transport, and the money to invest. I am a rotarian and live my life by the four way test
Is it the truth
Is it fair to all concerned
Will it build goodwill and better friendships
Will it be beneficial to all concerned

I like to help people find the best solution for themselves and if i can make money on the deal great, if i am not the best solution for their needs i will steer them to someone who can. It sounds like you have the same mindset. Just because you make money in a deal doesnt mean you cant also give them free true advice in this forum. Let me know if i mighr be able to help.
John mcnamara
Hello John
I really like your four way test and your positive attitude.
Seems like a great way to get through this life.
Stay safe out there
Cheers

Oscar
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:51 PM   #56
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Being a dealer something I've thought about as well. A dealer license is a bit of a pain to get in Virginia, but you can sell 3 vehicles a year without one iirc. Storage is another issue for me, not having a nice plot of land to store stuff sucks.

ATM I would like to do it as a side thing, buy a good bus, remove the seats, strip the floor and repaint, fix any mechanical issues, service it, and resell it. Originally this is why I got #19, but the bus ended up being way better than expected so I'm keeping it and plan to sell the first one I got within a few months.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:41 PM   #57
Skoolie

School buses in the near future will be no different than most any other fleet vehicle on the road.

THEY WILL BE ELECTRIC!

Particularly fleet vehicles that run short distance runs during the day say 200 miles or less. That includes most school buses.

The 2 biggest PROBLEMS now and in the future for fossil fuel powered vehicle manufacturers is meeting increasing tougher safety regulations and increasingly tougher EMMISIONS standards. Going Electric for vehicle manufacturer's gits rid of their requirements for emissions standards and transfers that problem to the electrical generation industry.

BIG WIN for the vehicle manufacturer!

Just like over the road trucking the future is Electric powered fleet vehicles. This will require a change in attitude and infrastructure but nothing that can't be overcome.

The BIG GAS OR DIESEL debate will be a moot point as it relates to a school bus in the very near future!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:45 PM   #58
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
School buses in the near future will be no different than most any other fleet vehicle on the road.

THEY WILL BE ELECTRIC!

Particularly fleet vehicles that run short distance runs during the day say 200 miles or less. That includes most school buses.

The 2 biggest PROBLEMS now and in the future for fossil fuel powered vehicle manufacturers is meeting increasing tougher safety regulations and increasingly tougher EMMISIONS standards. Going Electric for vehicle manufacturer's gits rid of their requirements for emissions standards and transfers that problem to the electrical generation industry.

The BIG GAS OR DIESEL debate will be a moot point as it relates to a school bus in the very near future!
I must respectfully disagree with this one. I see LPG and CNG replacing them. Electric vehicles take an extremely long time to recoup the initial extra investment and I do not see school districts keeping them that long, nor do I see them lasting the typical 12-20 years that most of their ICE counterparts do.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:49 PM   #59
Skoolie

LPG and CNG are still fossil fuels and as such will still have to meet increasingly tougher Emissions Standards thanks to the 535 in Washington DC.

Most manufacturers will stop producing NEW fossil fuel powered vehicles which means you will ultimately have not choice but to change!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:53 PM   #60
Almost There

Coachwork: Bluebird 35 shuttle cng
Engine: John deere
Rated Cap: 36
Dealer license

I got my used car dealer license when i was 24 and it wasnt that difficult to do. The main thing was you needed a physical location zoned for car sales with at least one space. I think there was a test on dealer law and a class that took a day. It was 300 for application and 300 per year plus dealer plates. Things might have changed in 30 years. Legally there is no limit to the number of vehicles you can buy or sell for yourself but you are not allowed even one purchased for resale. You also have to pay sales tax, transfer and registration and insure each one. If you just are doing a few and the profit margin is high enough just register each one but the higher the number you buy and the closer the sales date is to purchase date the easier it is for them to make a case that you are running a business. Many buses in california are limited to dealer only sales because the school district doesnt want any liability. It doesnt take very many sales per year to cover the overhead but then you feel presured to keep buying even if the profit is lower than expected because you have to keep paying bills. It took the fun out of it for me. I used to buy only when it would be crazy to turn down a deal but you cant make a solid living if you have to get lucky every time.
demoman is offline   Reply With Quote