Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2021, 02:51 PM   #81
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Coachwork?
Chassis: International
Engine: CAT 3208 Marine Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
Most of the buses I have seen locally being released by school districts are emission laden piles of crap. As you say MAXX FARCE. The entire automotive industry has been consumed by this cancer. Finding good buses is going to be much more difficult as time goes on.
“Low-techifying” is going to be needed going forward. Imagine swapping out proprietary ECM parts and systems for universal / open source parts and systems.

Emissions deletion is going to be needed for RV registered skoolies. Also, Many engines won’t run right without the extreme back pressure the emissions system creates, so there’s a need for emissions deletion kits as well.

Also, for those that want the classic look, perhaps window and hood refits. I drive past Oak Grove School Districts fleet yard, I can already imagine the look of future skoolies. School buses are looking more and more like shuttles with each new model year.

If demand for older buses outstrips supply, perhaps repatriate buses from Mexico.

Cheap 3D printing, CNC milling, and laser etching machines are going to create a home brew renaissance, and are making small scale manufacturing and fabrication easily profitable. Metal 3D printing is going to be perfected. All of this means we can make things that don’t have a mass market that used to need a factory.

The skoolie scene is going to get very interesting in the next few decades.

Inner Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:04 PM   #82
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: tc 2000
Engine: P pump cummins
Seems this thread is getting windey, longer and windy but gotta throw my 2 cents out there on this. Cheese-Wagon. It would seem you have written countless articles dispensed a constant supply of warnings and advise on what to look for and why plus i have seen a number of thank you notes from folks you have given longer advise sessions via P.M. I also see numerous nubes wanting instant snap judgements on some "deal" they have found without any details on that would be relivant to make said judgement. May I offer a three tiered solution? First I could see you continuing passing advice through forums that people can choose to listen or not from affar. (Not to mention many usefull articles you have written) This only keeps your presence and exposure up while maintaining your "street-cred" what I really want to suggest from here is market here for yourself by offering a hands on unbiased appraisals. On a case by case basis. Also finders fee based on price or savings for a finder service. Posibly a periodical of busses you have already looked at with naughty and nice lists. Most marine insurance and brokers require a marine aprisal in the boat world, this could provide a framework or model. Your reputation proceeds you well here. Second if you had the shop, parking, zoning ect available, (I recall you were looking into it) I had thought it in the past you could host a conversion shop with how to workshops and bill for parking by the foot for busses at a higher cost than trailer parks or storage yards. (Keep it from becoming a dumping ground of lost dreams) As it would be a "work space" targeted to conversions. I would say look at different boat yards again for policy and example. Third if shop space allowing, move onto build phase. Begin diesel gas swaps as the deals come your way. Initially for your own use as a flagship then branch out as market intrest drums up. I admire what you are trying to do here and kinda wish I could do the same. So enjoy living vicariosly through you.
Oliveguam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:51 PM   #83
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliveguam View Post
Seems this thread is getting windey, longer and windy but gotta throw my 2 cents out there on this. Cheese-Wagon. It would seem you have written countless articles dispensed a constant supply of warnings and advise on what to look for and why plus i have seen a number of thank you notes from folks you have given longer advise sessions via P.M. I also see numerous nubes wanting instant snap judgements on some "deal" they have found without any details on that would be relivant to make said judgement. May I offer a three tiered solution? *snip* I admire what you are trying to do here and kinda wish I could do the same. So enjoy living vicariosly through you.
That means a lot, OG, it really does. And I like your idea, I really do. Unfortunately, after conversations with folks that are in the know about what my knowledge does not apply to, it's very clear now that to make this work and sustain it until it becomes profitable, I would need a good bit more capital.

Also, respiratory problems have been known to destroy me for an hour or so after just taking out the trash, and I have to be extremely careful in open air due to allergic reactions to most anything (smoke, especially tobacco smoke, is like Chernobyl to me). So, since there's no way I could wrench or tackle the DIY aspect myself, I also would probably wind up paying double for a conversion and/or diesel / gas swap. Which would veritably wipe me out, as I maybe have enough to buy materials and barter the DIY for a nice conversion on a suitable bus, through buying pizza and beer for anyone who wants to help.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:27 AM   #84
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ER Transit
Engine: ISC
I like the idea a lot. I was thinking about something similar myself- buying and half converting busses and reselling it all ready for fit out. I’ve got the facility and labor for demo/fabrication/paint. If you’ve got the eye for good deals and the means to move them around, maybe there’s something to it. I would like to imagine there’s folks interested in a solid proven chassis with a roof raise already complete that can just come in and start with the more familiar aspects of the build. Smart folks should see the value in mitigating risk by going this route.

Aside from that, I don’t see a reason to get hung up on capital initially. I started flipping cars one at a time. I rolled the first into the next and eventually I had several cars/trucks/random pieces of equipment all for sale at the same time. It just happened naturally and with very little risk. It was not capital intensive at all, and it really worked very well. I don’t see why you couldn’t proceed in a similar way, going through the process one bus at a time in the beginning to test the waters. Having a physical location and being a real dealer is overrated in my opinion, and certainly not necessary to dip your toe into the game. Like folks have mentioned, if your state allows a certain amount of transactions per year, at least use up the “free” transactions before making a bigger commitment.

There’s definitely a way to make this work for you.
Jaybz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:05 AM   #85
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas Built Freightliner. Allison 2000 tranny
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65 (dognose)
Engine: Mercedes MBE 906 six cylinder diesel
Rated Cap: 35 feet long
Looking for a broker or consultant on a bus purchase

I live in Canada. I'm looking to buy a school bus that was driven in a US. State that does not salt the roads - to avoid rust. I believe I have the plumbing, carpentry and electrical skills to do the conversion. But I'll need help to find a bus that is mechanically sound. I'm willing to pay extra to a broker or consultant who has the knowledge I lack.
David from Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:41 AM   #86
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
If you are still seriously considering moving ahead with a consulting service CW, maybe you could become a site "sponsor" on here and could then advertise your services for newbies and others wanting to get into the hobby/lifestyle?

No conflict of interest, as you would be a legit business entity entitled to charge for your time and services in the bus acquisition process.

How far you could potentially take it is totally up to you?
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:39 AM   #87
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
If you are still seriously considering moving ahead with a consulting service CW, maybe you could become a site "sponsor" on here and could then advertise your services for newbies and others wanting to get into the hobby/lifestyle?

No conflict of interest, as you would be a legit business entity entitled to charge for your time and services in the bus acquisition process.

How far you could potentially take it is totally up to you?
Not a bad idea on the surface, but with the severity of the allergies and asthma to the degree I have it, I have to be extremely careful who I am around and where I go, and quite frankly, smokers and vapers are just too careless about where they light up. If I'm not paying attention to what's going on around me, simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time could land me in the hospital.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:04 PM   #88
Bus Nut

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broachbilly View Post
BUT what I find to be a downer is a member post that they are looking at a bus X-Model (whatever). Price is right etc.

Then comes members posting their opinions on the Year/Make/Model/engine/transmission and don't forget rear end gear ratio...
This was me. Mainly because I didn't know that school buses were built to order for each state & school district with all available options on one or two selection pages. I assumed, like many others that school buses had consistent models and model years much like semi-tractors, coach buses, pickup trucks, cargo vans and sedans.

What is needed is setting expectations (and adjusting expectations), as expectations are skewed in every direction and and all over the map. Instagrammers and YouTuber highlight reels skew expectations to the fantastical.

This is best done with a Wiki article. It's time for the owners of Skoolie.net to integrate Wiki software with their vBulletin forum software. To keep content quality up and problems down, Make the wiki editable by members with 100 posts or greater, with a free-flowing 'edit thread' on the forum to give new users a way to contribute. This will allow skoolie veterans to use their time answering the niche, pointed and specific questions posted, raising the value to everyone in the skoolie community.

We already have 99.9% of the Wiki's content on Skoolie.net, it's just scattered inside thousands of posts nested in several hundred threads.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:33 AM   #89
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by David from Ontario View Post
I live in Canada. I'm looking to buy a school bus that was driven in a US. State that does not salt the roads - to avoid rust. I believe I have the plumbing, carpentry and electrical skills to do the conversion. But I'll need help to find a bus that is mechanically sound. I'm willing to pay extra to a broker or consultant who has the knowledge I lack.
Hello David and welcome.
You are right that you'll be looking outside of Ontario for anything less than a rust bucket. Unfortunately rust free means its likely you're going to be looking well south or the west coast. I'm near Vancouver and searched BC and in to Alberta for over a year only finding very high mileage and rusty buses before going to the states. Importing a bus from the states can be done but there are a lot of hoops to jump through so do your research on that first. there are only certain buses and certain model years that are allowed to be imported so don't go rushing out and putting a down payment on that beautiful Crown just yet.
So in short figure out what you want, need, what you can get by with and what you can afford. With the current state of our closed borders you're not going to be doing any bus shopping down south right now anyways.
Good luck

Oscar
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:29 AM   #90
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Hello David and welcome.
You are right that you'll be looking outside of Ontario for anything less than a rust bucket. Unfortunately rust free means its likely you're going to be looking well south or the west coast. I'm near Vancouver and searched BC and in to Alberta for over a year only finding very high mileage and rusty buses before going to the states. Importing a bus from the states can be done but there are a lot of hoops to jump through so do your research on that first. there are only certain buses and certain model years that are allowed to be imported so don't go rushing out and putting a down payment on that beautiful Crown just yet.
So in short figure out what you want, need, what you can get by with and what you can afford. With the current state of our closed borders you're not going to be doing any bus shopping down south right now anyways.
Good luck

Oscar
Or you could keep it simple. Buy a bus and register it in the States and store it in the States. That would not preclude you from travelling in Canada. But this would save you a hell of a lot of BS in the importation department.
And if you were really cool. Montana offers some interesting perks for registration in there fine system. If that's not to far from home.

But importation into the States from Canada is not for the weak. And would guess it's cumbersome the other way as well. I did help import a Crown to BC and it wasn't bad at all but that was because it was over 30 years old and there is dispensation for "collectors vehicles."
Old 03-01-2021, 08:51 PM   #91
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas Built Freightliner. Allison 2000 tranny
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65 (dognose)
Engine: Mercedes MBE 906 six cylinder diesel
Rated Cap: 35 feet long
Canadian importing restrictions

Quote:
Hello David and welcome. ...
there are only certain buses and certain model years that are allowed to be imported so don't go rushing out and putting a down payment on that beautiful Crown just yet.

Oscar

Thanks, Oscar. I had not heard of these Canadian importing restrictions. Are these restrictions imposed on the federal level, or is it province-by-province? Is there an example you know of, of a type or model year of bus that cannot be imported into Canada?

Thanks.
David from Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:12 PM   #92
Bus Nut

"Thanks, Oscar. I had not heard of these Canadian importing restrictions. Are these restrictions imposed on the federal level, or is it province-by-province? Is there an example you know of, of a type or model year of bus that cannot be imported into Canada?"

They are National Import Duty Regulations. A Google search by you would be instructive. After an understanding of that then you can tell us what year bus CAN be imported Duty free. I figure if you are willing to pay the Duty you can import most anything.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:15 AM   #93
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokibrabrant View Post
"Thanks, Oscar. I had not heard of these Canadian importing restrictions. Are these restrictions imposed on the federal level, or is it province-by-province? Is there an example you know of, of a type or model year of bus that cannot be imported into Canada?"

They are National Import Duty Regulations. A Google search by you would be instructive. After an understanding of that then you can tell us what year bus CAN be imported Duty free. I figure if you are willing to pay the Duty you can import most anything.
Actually it has nothing to do with the duty, it's Transport Canada's vehicle admissibility based on Transport Canada's motor vehicle safety standards.
Yes they collect duty but that does not determine what vehicles are allowed.
Search Transport Canada RIV. For all the information you need to determine admissibility.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:17 AM   #94
Bus Nut

And virtually ANY VEHICLE manufactured in the United States will be in compliance with Canadian Safety Standards.
Give me a Break. Duties and import schedules and fees and the sundry assortment of approvals provincially is where things get out of hand.
And conversely it is the same importing from Canada to the US. Customs Baby.
Posting Bonds and VIN inspections. Been there. Both sides of the ledger.
I have sold a half dozen Buses that were destined for Canada....It's not always a nightmare. But it can be exacting.

Over and Out
Old 03-02-2021, 05:09 AM   #95
Bus Crazy

[QUOTE=mokibrabrant;428616]And virtually ANY VEHICLE manufactured in the United States will be in compliance with Canadian Safety Standards.
Give me a Break. Duties and import schedules and fees and the sundry assortment of approvals provincially is where things get out of hand.
And conversely it is the same importing from Canada to the US. Customs Baby.
Posting Bonds and VIN inspections. Been there. Both sides of the ledger.
I have sold a half dozen Buses that were destined for Canada....It's not always a nightmare. But it can be exacting.

Over and Out[/QUOTE

Did I say it couldn't be done? Did I say it was a nightmare? No what I said was it could be done but there were some hoops to jump through. And they must be done in a very specific order to make it go smooth. It appears that you like to stir the sh*t and act like a bit of a drama queen.
Actually it is a requirement of Transport Canada that when a commercial school bus is imported in to Canada it must comply with all Canadian standards including but not limited to Day time running lights, speedometers in metric and safety compliance decals and signs in bilingual language. It is also required that the bus is original as built and unmolested in any way including no seat removal. Oh and the provincial difficulties you speak of are a very simple two hour safety inspection no different then the state inspections done on any commercial vehicle.
Do you always approach everyone with your egotistical somewhat aggressive attitude or are you saving it special for me? Not sure what I said or did to piss you off but obviously you know everything about everything so I'll just sit back so you can show everyone your greatness.
Carry on.
No further need to respond as I really don't care to have any further discussion with you.
David, if you are ready and serious about importing you can message me privately and I'll be happy to discuss the procedures and steps necessary to navigate Transport Canada RIV
Regards

Oscar
Old 03-02-2021, 09:15 AM   #96
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
And there you have it Cheese Wagon. Your greatest obstacle may be overcoming all this noise in order to get your subject matter expertise to those who actually want it.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:46 PM   #97
Bus Nut

WOW...no wonder they named you Oscar. Best original Screenplay.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #98
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokibrabrant View Post
WOW...no wonder they named you Oscar. Best original Screenplay.
WOW!...actually it's because I get grouchy around arrogant people that like to press their superiority on others.
Hey Cheese sorry for the derail.

I'm done.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:44 PM   #99
Bus Nut

Quote:
WOW!...actually it's because I get grouchy around arrogant people that like to press their superiority on others.
Hey Cheese sorry for the derail.

I'm done.
Then you should probably see what you can do about distancing yourself from yourself.
As I view it your personal attacks emanate from your own insecurity. And as a consequence you are projecting.
We have a different take on things. That's how it works. I disagree with you. The vitriol and personal attacks disserve all. More importantly yourself.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:40 PM   #100
Bus Nut

When it comes to conversion prepped buses, the real value add for a lot of people is to have the RV-retitle already done. This can be accomplished by doing a bare bones build out in a way that meets the criteria to be legally an RV, but aesthetically trimmed out enough so it doesn’t look like you’re just meeting the bare minimum requirements (otherwise you’ll catch the ire of the RVIA and they’ll probably demand the government to regulate you out of profitability / viability). You could even source RV parts from totaled RVs, which there’s a steady supply of. Be sure to only install unscathed, new looking parts and don’t reuse gas lines or electrical parts. This will add at least 2-3k to the sticker price including your profit margin, but will make your conversion prepped skoolies appealable to a broader market.