Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2019, 01:09 PM   #1

Ideas for build location, Georgia

Hey y'all! My partner and I are getting super serious this year about buying and building our skoolie. We are in the super intensive research phase right now, and we plan to do our build completely so it is a fully-functioning home for us for the next several years (at least.) This is not going to be a minimal build, so it will be impossible to "stealth" build it as I have seen some suggest.

Ideally, we would love to live on-site where we are building to maximize build time. We have two dogs and are thinking of moving back to the North Georgia area in a few months because we have family in the area. We are looking to pick your brain for ideas on where you found a place to build your skoolie. Here are the things I have thought of so far and have not had any luck (yet):

-asking family/friends for space on their property
-asking friends of friends
-renting a house with a large driveway/shop to work on the bus
-renting a small warehouse with space to pull the skoolie in to work
-long-term housesitting for someone that would allow us to build on-site

We feel that this build is not going to happen unless we can find a place to make the build happen where the owner of the property is willing to allow us to build, and we don't want to "ask forgiveness" we'd rather have permission up front. Do you have any ideas? I have been researching this for every spare moment I have had for the last 4 days and I am not sure what else to look for. I think I've read every thread on here that I could find about where you can build your bus. (It doesn't help that we are a little too far out to look for an actual lease on anything, since we anticipate late summer/early fall move.) Please let me know if you have any ideas, I'm all ears!

sleepyrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:38 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Where in No. Ga. do you plan on moving? No.Ga. is pretty lenient unless you're in a HOA. Mine is in my driveway., but anywhere on my property is legal. Go to the UserCP and fill in your location when you have one. Makes it easier to answer location related posts.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:09 AM   #3

Our thoughts at the moment are near Calhoun because that’s where the tools are that we are likely able to use. We are currently in Philadelphia, but making an exit strategy to make it back home near family.

We have family from Marietta to John’s Creek and even Jasper, but none of them can fit the bus on their property, it’s not for lack of family/friend support. I’m thinking of posting an open letter on Craigslist introducing us and what we are trying to do so we can see if anyone is interested in letting us build on their land, or renting out an unused space on their property that we can afford.

You’re so lucky to have property with space for your bus!
sleepyrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:25 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I've been storing buses on some land owned by friends.
They're cool, but its still painfully obvious I need to buy land of my own.

In retrospect I wish I'd bought land first, then buses.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:55 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I built my house while I was racing cars, so I needed space for trailers and such. Built on a 10' basement, 1650sf. You'll notice the long door is taller. I added a panel to extend the height so I could back my Chevy 1 ton van with race car and trailer into the shop. Unfortunately the bus is too tall. But I was able to get it on the left or right of the garage.
Attached Thumbnails
20180707_155825.jpg   20180619_192420.jpg   20180927_144710.jpg  
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, conversion, georgia, ideas, parking