Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2007, 01:43 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
identify these bus parts

Hi all:

There are a few things about my 1990 All American that I am not sure about and would like the esteemed folks here to help me figure them out...

First, a switch on the dash labeled "air control accel" but doesn't seem to do anything. This is what it looks like:

Next, I've read elsewhere in this forum about a throttle lock and I suspect that's what this is. It turns and pulls out but seems to not work. Is that what it is? Are they difficult to fix?

Also in the above photo, the high beam switch is on the bottom, but the floor button above it is something that the previous owner called a "hijack switch". It was supposed to make the blinker lights signal a hijack condition but it doesn't seem to do anything - anyone else have one of those?

Next, this bracket is under the bus in front of the steer axle. I am thinking it looks like a spare tire lift/bracket but it also looks like it was never used. I am way off on that?

Finally (at least for now) I have a tachograph. Any idea how difficult it is to remove? The spedo cable goes somewhere under the throttle pedal. It was working when I picked up the bus but stopped working on the way home - perhaps it didn't like cruising at top speed for hours on end....

I appreciate any comments or info you can provide!

thx again - Tony

dentarthurdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:04 PM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: identify these bus parts

I think that air control is some type of cruise control. I don't think it works on mine.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
Skoolie

I was hoping it was a cruise control kinda thing. Wonder how I could troubleshoot it...

I need to think of something clever to do with the spare tire hanger too...
Old 12-07-2007, 07:50 PM   #4
Skoolie

Anyone else have any thought on my mystery parts?
Old 12-07-2007, 09:09 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

My guess is that you have an air controlled accelerator. The switch was probably used basically to turn it off and on. I would suspect that the throttle lock you posted would be part of the same system. Maybe it was all bypassed long ago or eliminated from the system. Heck, maybe they even converted back to mechanical linkage, but my guess is that 17 years ago that toggle switch opened a solenoid to allow the air throttle to work and the throttle lock worked in conjunction with that system.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:26 PM   #6
Skoolie

It's still got an air throttle. In fact, one of the things I was also going to ask was if there was any way to adjust those. The range from idle to wide open is pretty small and it makes the throttle really touchy.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:44 PM   #7
Bus Geek

i noticed the same thing in my new bus. The air throttle is almost an on/off switch....not much in the middle. Good thing the power to weight ratio is so bad in the bus. i think a lot of these buses are meant to be driven at wot all day long.