Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2007, 06:36 AM   #1
Almost There

Re: I'm confused - legalities of buses in Minnesota

While I cannot speak for MN, a lot of states will let you drive it home after purchase just by putting a sign "In Transit" in the rear and front windows. Ohio's law says you cannot have the stop arms or working lights, so the previous owner painted over the lights with spray paint, also painted all the lettering saying "School Bus". NY law says much the same thing, though I painted mine so it looks nothing like a bus, but I had no problem driving it across Ohio and then through Western New York when I first purchased it.

If you want to be completely covered you could call your local sheriff's office or state police barracks and ask what they suggest, since they would be the ones enforcing the law they are the ones to explain the situation to and see what they recommend.

Recently I also received a zoning ordinance violation from my local town stating I couldn't keep my painted bus in the front yard or driveway, since my driveway is only a 50' long pad of concrete between the road and the garage, there was only about 10' of space between the road and the front of the bus so visibility was poor, so I could see where they were coming from, so now it is out next to the barn. It still took them 6 months to realize it was there though...

Old 08-26-2007, 10:14 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

My opinion about city ordinances is that they are hard for a city to enforce or at least my city seems to not enforce them other than just sending warning letters out. The last one I got was cause I had a commercial bus parked outside the house. And the week it was referring to was the week I took off so the company bus with tax exempt plate was not there and my bus which was still yellow with rv plates on was there and I think I missed this person by an hour or two cause it also stated other stuff that was outside that I had outside only while working on the bus and I had gone to the store to get some things.

As for the original question. I don't think you'd have a problem transporting it home since you can prove that you just bought it by showing your bill of sale. Myself I wasn't worried about it and had no problems with the law stopping me along my 600 mile trip home while driving past weigh stations. Now I was pulling my truck behind me so the look as transporting was there. So weigh stations I'm not sure if those that transport them are supposed to stop but I didn't want to find out so I just kept on going. Also another reason I wasn't worried was I have a school bus endorsement anyways so I was legit to drive one regardless. If you want to make yourself feel better you can cover up school bus and remove the stop arm before driving off with it but I don't think it would be necessary.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Tim at UTB in Duluth told me to drive it like it was a school bus on the way home basically. The flashers, stop sign, and color are all illegal in Minnesota unless it is a school bus, but for the ride home he said I would be fine. It was just important that I stop at any railroad crossings, turn on the hazards, look, etc because the train men can call it in and if it looks like a bus you're going to get that fine. That was his only advice for me.