Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2010, 04:15 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: GMC P3500
Engine: 6.2L
I'm new... Q: How can I rig some sort of wood burning stove

I am new to this site, just found it today and after reading thru about 4 hrs of posts I decided to reg. I have been living in my bus for about 5 months now. Bought it for $300, and have put about $200 into it to get it running, belts, etc. But now it's getting cold. I'm boondocking in Northeast GA, Athens, I rent a ministorage spot to store my stuff and there are outlets there which I have plugged up to to keep a sm heater running so I don't freeze. I have been thinking about how nice it would be to have some sort of wood burning stove, or enclosed fire place to heat the bus up when it's cold... and so I'm looking for suggestions/warnings/etc. I'm going to have to rig something to make it work, or find a free wood burning stove some how... I'm thinking if I put a layer of bricks down, and then bolt the thing in, run an inlet & outlet pipe from the barrel out a window I should be ok... right? I don't have money to buy anything so anything I'm going to be able to do would have to be something free or something I can rig up for next to free.

Here's a link to a gallery of pictures I've taken when I first got the bus, then when I was building in a bench seat down one side of the bus. There were 2 bed/storage compartments already, I took one out and reused the wood to make the bench.. but that's all I've been able to afford to do for now. Take a look here:

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c393/ ... k/Skoolie/

I will link to more as I do more...

Old 12-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: I'm new... Q: How can I rig some sort of wood burning st

Wow thanks, that looks perfect... thanks for the links Smitty!
Old 12-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
..."Free" firewood isn't "free" after you've lost all your possessions...
But they do burn nicely! (been there, done that... electrical fire, not because of my woodstove)

As an alternative, ever thought about a solar "can" heater?
http://greenterrafirma.com/solar-air-heating.html

Athens, GA stays "fairly warm" (warmer than farther up Hwy 441 in NC where I lived). Build one of these with a couple of 12vDC muffin fans from junked computers and a used tempered glass shower door. I'm seriously thinking of doing this. We have SOOO many cans (we sell them on the food cart... a couple cases a week). But I will probably use the leftover glass from the bus windows we are skinning over. Solar air heater with FREE computer muffin fans powered by a solar battery charger... once built, FREE HEAT!
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
As an alternative, ever thought about a solar "can" heater?
http://greenterrafirma.com/solar-air-heating.html

Solar air heater with FREE computer muffin fans powered by a solar battery charger... once built, FREE HEAT!

Oh man, that is cool as all hell!!! I'm going to have to think about that one... thanks L!!
Old 12-11-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: 2003 Thomas E-350 shorty
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 24
Re: +1 on Smitty's post RE single wall

I put a wood burning stove in my garage years ago, and silly me didn't do any research. I ran single wall pipe through the ceiling/roof. I used to get "creosote" or nasty black ooze coming down the pipe from where it met the roof. Lucky I didn't burn my garage down. DON'T do this in a living space!!!
See y'all at Burningman, 2011 will be #17! Anybody passing thru Winnemucca NV let me know, I've got bus parking and crash space.