Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Impressive MPG -- why?

In Millicent, I'm using Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme Full Synthetic 5W-40 Diesel Engine Oil, which is approved by Cummins. (NAPA Auto Parts has it.) Don't remember exactly what it cost, but I think it was between 25 and 30 per gallon. And don't remember how much it took, but think it was something like five or six gallons. No issues that I'm aware of.

I'm still waiting for Peter to calculate the fuel milage on last week's trip.

Also just changed my Dodge Dakota to NAPA's store brand full synthetic for gasoline engines. I need to make these engines outlive me.

You may want to consider using synthetic transmission fluid also. Supposed to have similar benefits -- at similarly higher price for the fluid. Anything that will help these large and horribly expensive components last longer, seems worth the upfront cost.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #22
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BLUEBIRD
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9

I was unable to find the Valvoline at the local autoparts houses, will have to make a run up 35 where truck stuff is more common for the next oil change. I have 6 gallons of Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic cued up to fill the engine when I go home for lunch today. I had to go to two stores to get 6 gallons. I should be able post mpg numbers after Burning Man.
Xtevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Well, I think I know where the 13 MPG came from. Most likely, there was a fart in the arithmetic, inflating the number.

I just made a 1.700+ mile trip to Arizona, and I did a pretty accurate check on the way back. Prescott Valley, AZ to Dunnigan, CA; 800 miles, 75 gallons. The pencil says 10,6. And that's with a substantial overall drop in elevation. Going out/up there, I burned more, no doubt.

So... "never mind."

Will be interesting to see what happens once I get the engine tuned for more oomph.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #24
Bus Nut

don't forget to change the rear axle over to synthetic oil.
be cautious when you turn up the engine, don't exceed the limits of the trans.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:27 AM   #25
Bus Nut

How long before those fancy shmancy new buses with the 29 speed computer controlled trannies get to be old enough to pick up cheap?

I would think that the newer 6 speed allisons will allow the skoolie owner to have his cake and eat it too.

Does anyone know what final drives these things run and what kind of mpg they get?

Maybe by then, I will have talked the boss into letting me get one.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: ford
Engine: 6.6 Ford
Rated Cap: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
What's the rated horsepower of your engines just out of curiosity? Mine is still at the stock 185hp/474 ft lbs setting.
If you bump the timing up by about 4*, your mpg should improve at least a little. I'm still waiting on the right "time" to do Crazycal's.
nevrenufhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #27
Bus Geek

I might be interested in doing that. But if I understand it right, this is quite a major job. Can you recap what is needed for this?

Old 09-22-2008, 08:50 PM   #28
Skoolie

On your 5.9 it's a little more involved than the 6.6. It'll need a special socket, a selection of hand tools, and a dial indicator. Here's a quick artcle on how: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1994/18-10-94a.htm
When I had my 97 Dodge, I did it similar to the method that is used on the Ford/ New Holland, and IH. Not as absolute presision as the dial indicator method, but it's within a degree of desired timing. Your 5.9 is probably about 13*, and you would only need to go to 15-16*, which is around the same goal with the 6.6, and DT360-466s.
I'll gladly lend a hand to anyone that travels thru, or is reasonably close to Modesto, CA to adjust timing or fuel rates. That, or you be paying for some gas(my pickup gets 11mpg).
Old 09-22-2008, 09:47 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Thanks nevrenufhp! I read that service bulletin and... my timing will stay where it is, unless you decide to visit Clearlake on you own dime! I'm handy, but I'm no engine mechanic. Maybe one day I can take you up on your offer when I travel down that way. Most generous of you to offer!

Now... the fuel rate, and the governor, sound a bit more managable for a shade tree tinkerer. Do you agree?

Old 09-22-2008, 09:57 PM   #30
Skoolie

Yes, the fuel & gov adjustments are rather simple & if you can adjust valves on a gasser, you can do it. For me, diesel performance is a hobby, rather than a source of income, I enjoy it much more that way.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:16 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevrenufhp
...diesel performance is a hobby, rather than a source of income, I enjoy it much more that way.
Dude, I hear that! Decades ago, I worked on cars for a living, and that sure did take some of the fun out of tinkering with cars for sport.

I'll keep your expertise in mind.

Oh, maybe you can recommend a fuel plate for my use? The Dodge/Cummins information seems to be all about spinning the tires away from stoplights, and leaving a cloud of black smoke for people to gape at. (Not that there.... ) But I need to pull a heavy load over big mountains, while I'm perfectly happy to take my sweet time getting up to speed when the light turns green. And smoke is a no-no. And then there is the economy issue, still.
When I get around to it, I plan to just slide the existing plate forward and see what that does. This trick has been reported to be quite helpful -- right here on this forum. But maybe there is a "Heavy RV" plate out there?