Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2018, 02:53 PM   #1

Year: 1998
Engine: V8
Lightbulb Inspections?

Hello!

My bad if this has been discussed multiple times before, however I checked for threads that were relevant but couldn't find any that answered my questions....

I just put the first down-payment on my Skoolie and will be picking it up by the end of August (this month) beginning of September (next month) so I'm a total noobie and please go easy on me if this seems like a stupid set of questions!!

I live in the New England area and still have almost everything (car, and license) registered in NH because I travel between homes up there and MA a lot. (Purchasing the Bus itself from CT, about 2-3 hours away.) My friends who live in MA will be giving me a space to convert the bus itself but I need to be able to drive it there.

My questions are mainly about getting the Bus inspected and legal to drive.

1.) If an inspection is required, how long do I have after purchase?

2.) Anyone have suggestions on where I go to get an inspection on a Bus? I checked a few websites for trucks and RVs but none of them mentioned Buses...

3.) Will regular temporary plates work for driving it from CT to NH? ( My father happens to be a truck driver and has a CDL license. An A license not an S but I think we can swing that if we were pulled over... Honest "mistake." ;) )

4.) Is an inspection required to register the Skoolie?? (I looked on the NH DMV website and they mentioned NOTHING.)

Any information, even links to different past threads, is extremely helpful. I'm not made of money and am trying to do this as easily but inexpensively as possible. If you have suggestions on shops that do really good work and aren't hella picky on details for stickers, let me know those too.

Thanks!

Thedinosaurmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:07 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedinosaurmann View Post
Hello!

My bad if this has been discussed multiple times before, however I checked for threads that were relevant but couldn't find any that answered my questions....

I just put the first down-payment on my Skoolie and will be picking it up by the end of August (this month) beginning of September (next month) so I'm a total noobie and please go easy on me if this seems like a stupid set of questions!!

I live in the New England area and still have almost everything (car, and license) registered in NH because I travel between homes up there and MA a lot. (Purchasing the Bus itself from CT, about 2-3 hours away.) My friends who live in MA will be giving me a space to convert the bus itself but I need to be able to drive it there.

My questions are mainly about getting the Bus inspected and legal to drive.

1.) If an inspection is required, how long do I have after purchase?

2.) Anyone have suggestions on where I go to get an inspection on a Bus? I checked a few websites for trucks and RVs but none of them mentioned Buses...

3.) Will regular temporary plates work for driving it from CT to NH? ( My father happens to be a truck driver and has a CDL license. An A license not an S but I think we can swing that if we were pulled over... Honest "mistake." ;) )

4.) Is an inspection required to register the Skoolie?? (I looked on the NH DMV website and they mentioned NOTHING.)

Any information, even links to different past threads, is extremely helpful. I'm not made of money and am trying to do this as easily but inexpensively as possible. If you have suggestions on shops that do really good work and aren't hella picky on details for stickers, let me know those too.

Thanks!
Rules vary by state, but
1) no inspection is necessary when purchasing a bus except the inspection you want to make to make sure it is a viable platform.

2) Not needed

3)Temporary plates are recommended and can be purchased from your state before hand if you have all the info, or from the state of purchase when you pick the bus up. Most states do not require a CDL to drive a decommissioned bus used for personal use.

4) you will not usually need to have the bus inspected to register it.

You will need insurance on it, your insurance may cover you under the existing policy in any vehicle purchase you make for a short period of time.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:05 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I know in Virginia ALL motor vehicles including buses and motorhomes require a state safety inspection once a year. Failing to do so can get you a ticket, but does not effect getting or keeping tags/registration.

My guess is if your state has state inspection for cars it will be needed for the bus too. Your state DMV should be able to answer that.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:12 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Rules vary by state, but
1) no inspection is necessary when purchasing a bus except the inspection you want to make to make sure it is a viable platform.

2) Not needed

3)Temporary plates are recommended and can be purchased from your state before hand if you have all the info, or from the state of purchase when you pick the bus up. Most states do not require a CDL to drive a decommissioned bus used for personal use.

4) you will not usually need to have the bus inspected to register it.

You will need insurance on it, your insurance may cover you under the existing policy in any vehicle purchase you make for a short period of time.
In FL I'm not able to get a temp tag for an out of state purchase and have yet to find a state that will issue me one where I'm buying the bus. So all of mine have come home with no tag. Except Texas. They let you print your own!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:37 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
In FL I'm not able to get a temp tag for an out of state purchase and have yet to find a state that will issue me one where I'm buying the bus. So all of mine have come home with no tag. Except Texas. They let you print your own!
You must be the exception. I find it hard to believe you can't get a temp tag in any state in the union. You have to have a way to legally get out of each state with a new purchase.
Of course it helps if it's not a weekend. Ga. certainly issues temp tags. Just tell the truth Charlie, you never made an attempt to get the temp tag and didn't care about driving it home without.
I'm spoiled here in Dawson County, no inspections on vehicles for safety or emissions on any year vehicle.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
I know in Virginia ALL motor vehicles including buses and motorhomes require a state safety inspection once a year. Failing to do so can get you a ticket, but does not effect getting or keeping tags/registration.

My guess is if your state has state inspection for cars it will be needed for the bus too. Your state DMV should be able to answer that.
I was guessing the same thing, unfortunately... especially since they tend to put RVs under the regular state inspection rules. However I'll give the DMV a call just to be sure on the matter. If I can save myself the cost of taking it there and whatever the charge for a bus.

Issue is, I did (brief, yes) a search for somewhere I can take a bus to be inspected and most places said nothing over a ton or never mentioned buses... Guess I'll be calling tons of shops lol.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:22 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
You must be the exception. I find it hard to believe you can't get a temp tag in any state in the union. You have to have a way to legally get out of each state with a new purchase.
Of course it helps if it's not a weekend. Ga. certainly issues temp tags. Just tell the truth Charlie, you never made an attempt to get the temp tag and didn't care about driving it home without.
I'm spoiled here in Dawson County, no inspections on vehicles for safety or emissions on any year vehicle.
Dude - I'm super paranoid and smoke a LOT. I've made every attempt to get temp tags. If you'd been on here any amount of time prior to your 5000 posts in a few months you'd probably have seen all my attempts at getting temp tags.
Don't come calling me a liar.
KY won't issue temp tags, either. Nor Colorado.
Trust me- the whole country doesn't operate like your corner of GA.

I have ZERO reason to lie. I'm 100% real and have PLENTY of folks on here who actually KNOW me.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Rules vary by state, but
I will have to call the DMV about this one I think.... I really want to avoid giving them any information but I want to stay legal and safe, so I'll have to give in this time it seems haha.

However I checked on the website some more and ended up in the department of safety's website for NH. They said a CDL is only required if the bus seats more than 16 passengers for commercial use. Once I get the seats out I should be fine! And even better off once its registered as an RV.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:08 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
In Virginia I have to take the bus to a place that will do big trucks. The rule here is that whatever vehicle you are inspecting has to fit into the inspection bay. So at 34ft for mine that limits me a lot for places to get it inspected.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
In Virginia I have to take the bus to a place that will do big trucks. The rule here is that whatever vehicle you are inspecting has to fit into the inspection bay. So at 34ft for mine that limits me a lot for places to get it inspected.
Good to know! I checked for some more places in NH and might have found one... I'm still going to call and double check they would be open a skoolie...
However they do a lot of government inspections and I hope they'll take it easy on me seeing as a lot of the features will be coming off once I can get to work on it.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:03 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Dude - I'm super paranoid and smoke a LOT. I've made every attempt to get temp tags. If you'd been on here any amount of time prior to your 5000 posts in a few months you'd probably have seen all my attempts at getting temp tags.
Don't come calling me a liar.
KY won't issue temp tags, either. Nor Colorado.
Trust me- the whole country doesn't operate like your corner of GA.

I have ZERO reason to lie. I'm 100% real and have PLENTY of folks on here who actually KNOW me.
I'm sorry, I'm trying to find where I called you a liar.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:48 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
I'm sorry, I'm trying to find where I called you a liar.
Yeah, YOU'RE the victim here, snowflake.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
No temp tags or inspections to report in Illinois, but we've got other DMV rules that don't apply to some other states. OP, it's best to check with the state DMV instead of relying on advice from randos on the internets.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
You never have anything useful to add do you, sounds like a personal problem.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:04 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
WTF (Why The Fuss?)

Seems like there are more "measuring contests" on the forum over the last few months. Come on guys. We can't be getting our shorts in a knot, every time some one says something that (may or may not) come out, not to out liking.
If we all reread our posts, BEFORE WE POST THEM, and try to soften anything that could be 'misunderstood, maybe some of the bickering could be avoided.
We're supposed to be helping each other out.

I need a drink.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
No temp tags or inspections to report in Illinois, but we've got other DMV rules that don't apply to some other states. OP, it's best to check with the state DMV instead of relying on advice from randos on the internets.

I'm going to but I was curious if anyone else from the area had dealt with this before and maybe had some pointers on exactly where to start. I've often found with the DMV here that they either know too much (aka, totally unwilling to budge on stupid **** that doesn't even matter and isn't normally practiced etc) or they know NOTHING... We will see!
Old 08-03-2018, 11:46 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
reality is the DMV employees domnt always know how to handle this kind of thing.. Heavy duty vehicle bought by an individual being transported out of state.. i get different answers every time i do it..

Texas was easy like EC said, went online, printed a tag and off I went.. florida gave me a temp tag, here in oregon they were all set to give me a temp tag but then said oh your driver license is from ohio, get a tag there... Ohio said they need to verify the VIN on the vehicle matches the title and just to put a "Vehicle in Transit " sticker on it or get a temp tag where im buying it..

others who have come to oregon were able to get tags..

so this is very much a "who you get at the desk" when you walk into a DMV thing.. its not cut and dry like some want to make it sound..

we all have very different experiences.. the common theme seems to be that if you have a valid insurance card, a bill of sale, and a title and you get stopped they will generally send you on your way.. I havent heard of massive issues with those that do get stopped.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:57 AM   #18
Bus Geek

As it turns out, temp tags seem to be a county decision. In Colo. it's up to each county on whether they issue them or not, but some do. So it's a question no one can answer except after finding out what works in your county. Ky. doesn't issue temp tags, you drive it on the current tag on it. I didn't ask about driving it if the tag is expired.

Chris, one place said they could provide a VIN verification from the state of purchase to show your state in order to get a temp tag.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:45 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
WTF (Why The Fuss?)

Seems like there are more "measuring contests" on the forum over the last few months. Come on guys. We can't be getting our shorts in a knot, every time some one says something that (may or may not) come out, not to out liking.
If we all reread our posts, BEFORE WE POST THEM, and try to soften anything that could be 'misunderstood, maybe some of the bickering could be avoided.
We're supposed to be helping each other out.

I need a drink.
I'm not here to argue or start any trouble. I just like buses.
But when someone accuses me of not telling the truth I feel obliged to correct them.

I love you all.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:52 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

Texas was easy like EC said, went online, printed a tag and off I went.. florida gave me a temp tag, here in oregon they were all set to give me a temp tag but then said oh your driver license is from ohio, get a tag there... Ohio said they need to verify the VIN on the vehicle matches the title and just to put a "Vehicle in Transit " sticker on it or get a temp tag where im buying it..

others who have come to oregon were able to get tags..

so this is very much a "who you get at the desk" when you walk into a DMV thing.. its not cut and dry like some want to make it sound..

we all have very different experiences.. the common theme seems to be that if you have a valid insurance card, a bill of sale, and a title and you get stopped they will generally send you on your way.. I havent heard of massive issues with those that do get stopped.

-Christopher
Yeah same here in FL. They want the vehicle here before they'll even issue a temp tag. They have to verify the vin.
I called Colorado and my driver Shaun even went to their DMV because he didn't believe me when I relayed the info that they wouldn't issue a temp tag.
KY has the ability to issue them, but they're REALLY backward and so behind the times in KY that the county offices are "in a feud" with the main office and the counties simply refuse to issue temp tags. The only office in KY that an out of state buyer can get a tag is in Frankfort.

Colorado simply told me the title and bos were enough to drive around with for 7 days or something like that.

No one notices a school bus much, so I just go get em and hope for the best.
Bus #5 now and no problems.
IF I can get a tag, I'm 100% all for that. But it seems kinda rare to get one doing these transactions.

Tags
inspection new england