Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2021, 09:06 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
For all my friends and acquaintances that are social butterflies and are fulfilled or have their batteries "recharged" by social interaction, those social media sites make perfect sense.
I have my introverted side, and I never really thought I would enjoy being on camera, but it turns out, I really enjoy it, and I have been hiding my extrovert side all these years!

I can tell you exactly why I do YouTube. The main reason is that I'm in a pretty isolating situation right now, caring for my elderly mom, and it gives me a community of people who "get me," which I definitely don't have here in suburban Boston. The other reason - I'm a writer. I worked for years to become a television writer, and finally realized that dream, only to find out how much I hated it. It was just another version of serving other peoples' agendas with my own creativity. I'm too old for that ****. But I still had a lot I wanted to say. I'm either blessed or cursed, depending how you look at it, with the ability and desire to tell my story in a way that makes other people feel as if it's THEIR story being told, and for some people, it's hugely important to feel seen and heard in this way. Not everyone can do this, but I can, so I do. I find it incredibly satisfying, though I know a lot of people don't get it. That's ok, the ones who do keep me going.

I don't have a huge following, but I have a very strong, solid group of people who appreciate what i do, and that's enough for me.

firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:08 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I didn't say all, did I? I said mostly. not all! Hell I'm a "youtuber" lol
I thought you were LOL!
Old 05-15-2021, 09:15 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
It is an error to project yourself and your way of thinking onto others, I promise you this is very much incorrect. For better or for worse in both cases.

That is not even close to what he did. Recognizing a pattern of behavior across a large cohort does not imply universality, this is a strawman.

Recognition of nuance is largely absent from online conversation... perverse incentive structures heavily favor approval seeking behavior over truth or reason.
LOL All righty then. Another thing largely absent from online conversation - at least SOME of it, excuse me, wouldn't want to imply universality - is sense of humor!

I'm guessing it's probably not REALLY fun being a narcissist. It seemed like a funny thing to say, and I didn't imagine anyone would take it at face value because it's pretty silly. Not silly enough, I guess. Sorry!
Old 05-15-2021, 09:18 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Quote:
I don't get it either.We are now a society where everyone is kept exactly at arms' length, no closer nor further. Media platforms allow one to present their life/lifestyle in a completely controlled manner, you see what others want you to see and that's it. Who wants to expose the less-than-photogenic aspects of their life to the mob, after all...

Social media often seems indistinguishable from exhibitionism to me at times.
And I will also say, that's a big fat dish of universal judgement coming from someone seeking nuance.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:20 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebuild View Post
I thought you were LOL!
FWIW I'm a subscriber of yours!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:27 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
LOL All righty then. Another thing largely absent from online conversation - at least SOME of it, excuse me, wouldn't want to imply universality - is sense of humor!

I'm guessing it's probably not REALLY fun being a narcissist. It seemed like a funny thing to say, and I didn't imagine anyone would take it at face value because it's pretty silly. Not silly enough, I guess. Sorry!
Nah I got your tongue in cheek humor- but I do watch your videos from time to time!
No- Its not fun being a narcissist, or at least for someone I know who has NPD ( narcissistic personality disorder). Its a life of breaking trust, losing friends and loved ones, and burning bridges.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:36 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
Nah I got your tongue in cheek humor- but I do watch your videos from time to time!
No- Its not fun being a narcissist, or at least for someone I know who has NPD ( narcissistic personality disorder). Its a life of breaking trust, losing friends and loved ones, and burning bridges.
Yeah, I figured YOU got it - not sure about everyone else on the thread!

And I thought I remembered you subscribing!

Anyone who watched my videos, especially the one I posted today about how no one can figure out why my bus steers like it's on skis, is unlikely to think I'm sanitizing my life! God help me if that's the cleaned-up version.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:41 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
And I will also say, that's a big fat dish of universal judgement coming from someone seeking nuance.
I don't see that in what you quoted. Its certainly not a generous interpretation of what I said.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:51 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
I don't see that in what you quoted. Its certainly not a generous interpretation of what I said.
I'm sorry I didn't generously interpret you!

I'm also sorry I didn't interpret your interpretation of MY words as a generous interpretation! My bad, I guess.

Peace be with you!
Old 05-15-2021, 11:41 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
Another point: when or if I finish my bus ("if" because most people give up and statistics apply to all of us), I'm not going to give tours to random strangers. Our bus will be our home and if you came up to me on the street and asked to walk through my house I'd tell you to get lost. But I do understand that people get legitimately excited, interested, and maybe even inspired when they see something as unique as a converted school bus. So, when the time comes, I'll post a YouTube video walkthrough for all YOU random strangers that highlights the interesting bits without showing off our dirty laundry or private life. In my mind, that's the sort or thing YouTube is good for.
for me, this is the #1 reason to hate having a bus. Other people. I just want to get gas or groceries, not have to answer a bunch of stupid questions about it from wide-eyed folks with goofy smiles.
And the door-to-door salesman guy who came to the house and just HAD to look in the windows after I closed the back door for privacy, as he asked me stupid questions with a goofy smile. GET F-ing LOST!
If I knew I would become a celebrity, I might have thought twice. Then again, despite the hot air coming from a member here with no bus who just wants to troll and tell everyone buying a bus is stupid, no other option comes close to suiting my needs. Definitely not an RV. Nor a box truck. Nor a duley pickup with a trailer. Nor a van. Nor a shuttle bus. Maybe we should send him to FB?
Anyway, thanks again y'all for the wonderful info provided on this site. Carry on with the poop-throwing....
Old 05-16-2021, 12:29 AM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
NPD? WTF? Are you serious? Now we have a medical term for someone being a fu$@ing as*hole? I thought breaking trust, losing friends and burning bridges just meant you were an as*hole?
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:44 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
NPD? WTF? Are you serious? Now we have a medical term for someone being a fu$@ing as*hole? I thought breaking trust, losing friends and burning bridges just meant you were an as*hole?
Old 05-16-2021, 10:29 AM   #33
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
From the schoolies I have seen on you tube some people just want to share what they built while the majority are clearly trying to make money. The ones trying to make money generally have better video quality / editing, will ask you to subscribe, may mention a sponsored product or be selling t shirts.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:11 AM   #34
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Wow I really thought that cartoon was going to be a joke!
So it’s really true now that there is zero responsibility for anyone’s actions
Thanks ECCB
Old 05-16-2021, 11:21 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Quote:
Wow I really thought that cartoon was going to be a joke!
So it’s really true now that there is zero responsibility for anyone’s actions
Thanks ECCB
lol please... I'm not saying that at all.

I'm saying that personality disorders suck and cause a ton of grief. But they're no uncommon and the people who have them are often just as miserable as their victims.

Old 05-16-2021, 11:40 AM   #36
Bus Crazy

Just bustin balls Charlie
Cheers
Old 05-16-2021, 11:43 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Quote:
Just bustin balls Charlie
Cheers
I figured... but damn internet conversations can be trying at times!
Sarcasm and irony can go right out the window so easily on here.
Old 05-19-2021, 03:17 PM   #38
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3
I draw inspiration from YouTube and Instagram and I'm a firm believer that if you benefit from a system and are able to pay in or add to the system you should so I post my stuff to hopefully inspire others. Another reason I post on Instagram and Facebook is to share will friends and family that I can't see as often due to covid or them living far away. Many of them are fascinated by the project and I can share them my public profile which is easy for them to access and view as I add to it.

I plan to start posting YouTube videos for a similar reason to the last one, to show friends and family what I've done but I also understand some people dream this dream but can't live it like the rest of us so they live out though us. It's entertaining to others to imagine their build by watching others build.

Lastly I want the process to be something of a digital journal and posting on multiple places publicly helps keep access easier for myself in the future in the terrible event that I might lose local data, it'll all be in the cloud.
aswallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 05:41 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswallie View Post
I draw inspiration from YouTube and Instagram and I'm a firm believer that if you benefit from a system and are able to pay in or add to the system you should so I post my stuff to hopefully inspire others. Another reason I post on Instagram and Facebook is to share will friends and family that I can't see as often due to covid or them living far away. Many of them are fascinated by the project and I can share them my public profile which is easy for them to access and view as I add to it.

I plan to start posting YouTube videos for a similar reason to the last one, to show friends and family what I've done but I also understand some people dream this dream but can't live it like the rest of us so they live out though us. It's entertaining to others to imagine their build by watching others build.

Lastly I want the process to be something of a digital journal and posting on multiple places publicly helps keep access easier for myself in the future in the terrible event that I might lose local data, it'll all be in the cloud.
Thank you! This is exactly why I look at Instagram and watch tour videos on YouTube. I think, would this feature or floor plan work for me? Is this a good idea, should I put it into my build? How did they make it? How could I make it better or cheaper? I get tips on how to conduct myself once I'm on the road. I appreciate all these people trying to impart their knowledge to others. If they make a few ad dollars for it, good for them. People sell how-to books all the time, I see YouTube as similar to that. But I can fast-forward it to 2x on YouTube University.

There are also a few people that go to interesting places or are just entertaining (to me), and I just like to watch their videos. From reading their video comments, there are a lot of home-bound people from disability, sickness, or maybe even just a fear of change or the unknown that can't travel, and live/dream vicariously through these videos.

I'd probably do the same, but I have a hard enough time figuring out how to post a picture on this site.
RoadsideJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:08 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Two Cents, and they are all mine, unless the wife says otherwise.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote