Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2024, 09:00 AM   #1

install roof rv ac on bus modifications

I have a 2001 International 3800 bus, intend to install standard roof type rv ac unit. most of them fit in a standard 14x14 inch vent hole, the existing emergency hatches are larger, do I leave emerg hatches alone, and cut new hole, or modify one existing hatch, if modify, tips on how you did it please.

Thanks

ed.mangold@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 12:02 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Convert Hatch to AC

I converted the rear hatch from a 24" square to a 14-3/16" square to add a rooftop AC/Heat/Dehumidifier.
We installed the unit before completing the demo to stay cool/warm while we work.

For more photos and detailed instructions, please read the tutorial 'Convert Hatch to AC', below⤵
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 12:17 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Busless for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
I converted the rear hatch from a 24" square to a 14-1/4" square to add a rooftop AC.
For more photos and detailed instructions, please read the tutorial 'Convert Hatch to AC', below⤵
I knew you would ride to the rescue. DeMac is da man!!!
Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 04:20 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Nice work and professional as always! Is that Houghton as quiet as they say they are? I went with a single Dometic Penguin II in the center of the coach. The front and rear are the old Dometic split systems. Rest of the roof is all covered in solar panels
Old 02-28-2024, 03:46 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas MPV
Engine: Cummins 6BTAA
Rated Cap: 84
AC

Personally having used my AC mainly for the dog, I would reconsider a normal rooftop and get a mini split. They are more efficient energy wise and cool way better. Get a well known brand.
powderskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 06:41 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderskier View Post
Personally having used my AC mainly for the dog, I would reconsider a normal rooftop and get a mini split. They are more efficient energy wise and cool way better. Get a well known brand.

minisplits are great if you have the room for the outdoor unit and the indoor unit..

one of my friends used 2 roof airs because he wanted to keep his original bus A/C for when driving and those units are in the bulkheads.. he frequently drives through the desert southwest and the likes of texas / louisiana, etc in summer where minisplit wouldnt touch the heat while driving.. roof airs made sense as they are non intrusive.. he only uses solar for his low voltage appliances.. when he is parking for the day, he is parking in as shady as spot as he can get , runningthe genny and the roof airs..

RV roof air units are also easier to install, even with fabricating metal and supports.. minisplits you really should have HVAC tools, and knowledge of using them or plan to spend $$ and hire out the flares, vac, and test of the system..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 12:04 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Houghton HVAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
Nice work and professional as always! Is that Houghton as quiet as they say they are?
I went with a single Dometic Penguin II in the center of the coach. The front and rear are the old Dometic split systems. Rest of the roof is all covered in solar panels
--------------------

I remember you had considered buying a Houghton and Furrions for your old Mesa Bus.

As far as the noise level.
Yes, it is as quiet as they say. We have a pair of smaller Dometics in our 30' camper and a Coleman in our 16' camper. The Houghton unit moves a tremendous amount of air yet it's much quieter & energy efficient than the others. I have, more than once, forgotten to turn if off when I leave.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 10:10 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
I ended up buying two Furrion units that went uninstalled with the bus to the new owner. I don't think they had the Houghton units in stock. (Covid era) I have heard very good things about the Houghton a/c's. I went with the Penguin II on this bus mainly since I wanted it to be as low as possible. Exterior aesthetics were priority first second to cooling and finally amperage use. The Penguin cools very well but not enough when the coach was dark brown and 100º out. Working on a possible install of this undermountac.com 48v unit. I have been in communication with the owner. I have a decent battery bank to handle this and more. We are thinking of adding another 30kw of batteries for a combined 60kw. This would give us 3days of 2 a/c's running non stop along with all appliances. Generator and solar to supplement when needed. I think Truma has a super quiet low profile unit that they are going to be selling to retrofit crowds.