Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2018, 02:45 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
People that have an old long time family agent often get "normal" policies.

The rest of us stress ourselves out trying to get a policy for our bus until we go to an independent insurance agent and ask for the commercial policy for private use. This is only for about 98% of us though. You may be different.

If you get a regular policy through some inexperienced insurance agent, the policy will be cancelled wthin a period of weeks and you'll loose a portion of your insurance payment. I got sucessivey got three policies that were each cancelled within weeks, even after I had made a full annual payment.

Each of us seems to hate getting on this commercial policy for private use. It is the only avenue for most of us to be able to legally drive our buses. It's a commercial policy, because this is a commercial size vehicle. Apparently it would be a commercial policy for private use if you were camping in a dump truck or other large vehicle too. We're usually only offered liability because these buses can cause massive damage by unskilled drivers that the insurance companies don't want to pay for.

Full coverage for me was about $1,800 per year, and they didn't even want to sell me a full coverage policy. It still would have been a commercial policy for private use though.

Sorry for being repetitive but I know how stressful it is to have a bus and no insurance.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Did the OP ever get the insurance sorted out?
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 01:09 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevy C60
Engine: unknown... really!
Rated Cap: 69
Good Sam

I pay $183/year for minimum legal collusion coverage on an old converted bus that is titled and insured as an rv. Good Sam is through National General Insurance. but like the other few companies that will insure homemade bus conversions, it's for "recreational use only." not insured as a full time home.
katix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:10 AM   #24

Can I get some reference companies to call for this? I am in Kentucky. This is exactly what I want to do with my insurance. Keep it a bus and do "commercial for personal use"
BenzElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 02:27 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Freightliner
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
I’ve seen this agent referenced several times on here. Was going to call her after I call my agent in the near future
kellynewsom1@allstate.com has a list of skoolie friendly agents nationwide
352-326-9300

2002 Freightliner FS65 30’
2mchprssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeb68 View Post
Oh i was going to upload the photo copy of the policy he sent but I don't know how to do a pic URL link, sorry,I guess he doesn't listen, because I see what you guys mean, bc on here it says
Business type: He noted "Services"
Personal use: he noted "N"

I emailed him back and made sure he knew what I was doing which was personal vehicle use and thats it, thats when he said that its a commercial auto policy -the only one you can get on a bus. OK (can we say shady)!

Thank you all so much, I am glad I learned something here. If anyone else has any more pointers or advice please do share for me and others. Honestly I am only needing this for personal use, like moving my band stuff around, husbands tools things back and forward to the barn, that sort of thing, and a party bus on our property on saturday nights (yes you can come!)LOL, but it will have to drive on the road some so yeah, does anyone have a bus for personal use without the RV conversion that would be great to hear what you have for that use. This is a really big help. I am located in Putnam County, FL. area. not sure if that matters

Hey man , I live in Orlando as well and got the same 95 international bus , I’m having a really though time with insurance and we have almost the same plans with it , how did you get your insurance?
Neaglebus is offline   Reply With Quote