Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2018, 02:05 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Question Insurance for PERSONAL use of a school bus!

Like O~m~Gish!! I just got off the phone with a local insurance company in Orlando,FL area and I am NOT converting my bus. I am only wanting to rip the seats out and put in electricity, and they said with Progressive. With what’s considered full coverage, the premium comes to $1521. (omg that was like my rent for 3 months) They said if I was to "convert" to full RV it would require proof of receipts from the company who installed it. But me and my husband want to use this bus for his work and they said it would be considered as a Personal commercial policy. IS this accurate to what skoolies are paying, or rather people with personal buses for personal use, because I AM NOT CONVERTING TO RV! I care nothing about that.?????? Please anyone elaberate, or share any other insurance places I may can check for a better estimate. BTW: The bus I have is a 94 or 95 International full size.

On another note folks, can I ask anyone this too... I read that you can change the title to RV *IF* ONE of the three things exisist. (gas, water or electricity) Is this true? Or does it need more or all? In the state of FL, what constitutes being able to actually change the title to RV? B/c I gather it is cheaper if your title is considered RV.

Sorry me and my husband are just new to this and like so many going into this blind, this website is such a blessing. Thanks all for any advice or thoughts. I hope others will find this posting helpful and the answers that follow.

BigDeb68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I doubt many folks are getting full coverage commercial policies in Florida on their bus. I know I didn't. Just the state requirement to be legal.

My commercial for personal policy is about half what you were quoted. Still quite a bit more than an RV policy, but that's not so straightforward to get in Florida.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Update: so I asked the place if I had to have full coverage and this was their reply. (I completely understand the need or want for full coverage in that big vehicle so I kinda agree with him on that) But here is the reply:

>>>Debra, You can drop the collision and comprehensive, if you like, but that only would save you approx. $150. Personally, I would be uncomfortable dropping the uninsured motorist coverage. Just so you are aware, this is a 12 month policy. Unfortunately, I’ve noticed that over the past year, the rates for school buses have increased quite a bit.<<<<

Which is crazy b/c like I heard it was always cheaper and easier if you don't do a conversion and just drive it as a personal vehicle.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:42 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
RV insurance is super cheap compared to a commercial for personal policy, not sure where you were hearing otherwise. I know some folks on here are paying under $300 a year.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:42 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I have a Progressive Commercial policy for private use and I'm paying closer to $600 a year. I only have liability but I did add uninsured motorist (for like $20 or so).

I do have 20+ years of experience driving large vehicles, so maybe that reduced my rates???
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:50 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

It seems to me they are quoting you a "Personal Commercial" policy, and *NOT* a "Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use" policy.

**THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!!**

If he is using the bus for business, it's sort of the same thing as me buying a dump truck for a roofing business to haul off the waste. You *DO* need a commercial policy, since it *IS* a business use.

If I use my bus to haul a dozen or so friends to The Big Game, then that's personal use; (legally) it's really no different than using a minivan.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:00 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Great, yes because I explained it to him that it was for personal use, I am waiting on him to call me back to confirm which he used. Thank you for pointing that out.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:15 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Let me give some examples:

1. I buy a coach bus, with seats, and use it to haul paying passengers as a charter operation. This is a business use and I will need commercial insurance (with government filings), operating authority, IFTA (fuel tax), and all that goes with a commercial hauling operation. I would expect this insurance to be *VERY* expensive - upwards of $5000 per year.

2. I buy a factory built RV for the purpose of transporting celebrities and entertainers across the country. I am available for anyone to hire me, so it falls under rules similar to #1. I could also classify this as a Limousine operation, but still need commercial insurance.

3. I buy a retired school bus, remove all the seats, and use it for moving people's homes (household goods). It's not professional, but all the same, it's still a commercial "For hire" operation. Commercial insurance and operating authority is still required.

4. I buy a dump truck for a roofing business to haul off waste. The truck is secondary to my business, and I am *NOT* using it for hire (I do not haul anything for anyone else). I still need commercial insurance, but I do not need for hire operating authority. This insurance is considerably cheaper than For Hire insurance.

5. I buy a vehicle for a mobile dog grooming business. Bus, RV, van, whatever. I am still not hauling for hire, but I am still driving it as part of a commercial business. Falls under the same as #4.

6. I buy a retired bus and convert it to an RV. Personal use of the bus, so personal insurance will do. Same if I use it to haul my buddies to the game, get groceries, or take road trips. As long as I am not doing it to earn money (because at that point, it can be considered in income-producing venture).
Old 01-31-2018, 03:38 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
While it may be easy to register a bus as an RV, it is harder to insure it as an RV. I believe much more has to be converted for the insurance company to consider it an RV, than does the DMV. You have to have the insurance first, so be aware of the requirements. As soon as you buy the bus and not use it for commercial purposes it can be registered as a personal school bus. State Farm , for example, will not insure the bus for personal use. Progressive will. Progressive quoted me $618 for a year of fuel coverage on a motor home , comprehensive and collision (full coverage) was $400 of that. If your agent said only $150 was for full coverage comp and coll. they are way over charging you for the liability.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:13 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

He said it was ,

a Commercial Auto Policy.

Is this what I needed?

And btw I am NOT using this for business use. -only personal.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:33 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeb68 View Post
He said it was ,

Is this what I needed?

No. You need a "Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use". If, by some chance, you have a farm, you could get an agricultural/farm use coverage.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:14 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
It's called a "Commercial policy for private use".

Go to an independent insurance agent. Not an insurance company, and don't call them directly.

Tell the independent insurance agent you want a "commercial policy for private use" and let them get back to you. They will.

My insurance was $400 the first year and it's been $300 per year since then. Prices seem to be all over the board, from $200 per year to as high as you've heard. Most of us have liability policies because that's all we're offered. Towing insurance is fairly cheap through Good Sam.

Good luck.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:19 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Let me give some examples:

1. I buy a coach bus, with seats, and use it to haul paying passengers as a charter operation. This is a business use and I will need commercial insurance (with government filings), operating authority, IFTA (fuel tax), and all that goes with a commercial hauling operation. I would expect this insurance to be *VERY* expensive - upwards of $5000 per year.

2. I buy a factory built RV for the purpose of transporting celebrities and entertainers across the country. I am available for anyone to hire me, so it falls under rules similar to #1. I could also classify this as a Limousine operation, but still need commercial insurance.

3. I buy a retired school bus, remove all the seats, and use it for moving people's homes (household goods). It's not professional, but all the same, it's still a commercial "For hire" operation. Commercial insurance and operating authority is still required.

4. I buy a dump truck for a roofing business to haul off waste. The truck is secondary to my business, and I am *NOT* using it for hire (I do not haul anything for anyone else). I still need commercial insurance, but I do not need for hire operating authority. This insurance is considerably cheaper than For Hire insurance.

5. I buy a vehicle for a mobile dog grooming business. Bus, RV, van, whatever. I am still not hauling for hire, but I am still driving it as part of a commercial business. Falls under the same as #4.

6. I buy a retired bus and convert it to an RV. Personal use of the bus, so personal insurance will do. Same if I use it to haul my buddies to the game, get groceries, or take road trips. As long as I am not doing it to earn money (because at that point, it can be considered in income-producing venture).

Very well put!

Thank you Brad.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:17 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
And then don't forget that each state has different rules and regulations!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2018, 09:33 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Like O~m~Gish!! I just got off the phone with a local insurance company in Orlando,FL area and I am NOT converting my bus. I am only wanting to rip the seats out and put in electricity, and they said with Progressive. With what’s considered full coverage, the premium comes to $1521. (omg that was like my rent for 3 months) They said if I was to "convert" to full RV it would require proof of receipts from the company who installed it. But me and my husband want to use this bus for his work and they said it would be considered as a Personal commercial policy. IS this accurate to what skoolies are paying, or rather people with personal buses for personal use, because I AM NOT CONVERTING TO RV! I care nothing about that.?????? Please anyone elaberate, or share any other insurance places I may can check for a better estimate. BTW: The bus I have is a 94 or 95 International full size.

On another note folks, can I ask anyone this too... I read that you can change the title to RV *IF* ONE of the three things exisist. (gas, water or electricity) Is this true? Or does it need more or all? In the state of FL, what constitutes being able to actually change the title to RV? B/c I gather it is cheaper if your title is considered RV.

Sorry me and my husband are just new to this and like so many going into this blind, this website is such a blessing. Thanks all for any advice or thoughts. I hope others will find this posting helpful and the answers that follow.
Try this company...Idk anything other than their ad sounds promising

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:37 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
He said it was ,

Is this what I needed?

Nope...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:49 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
... a Commercial Auto Policy.

Is this what I needed?
No. See what Brad wrote - he is right on the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
... a "Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use" policy.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
It's called a "Commercial policy for private use".

Go to an independent insurance agent. Not an insurance company, and don't call them directly.

Tell the independent insurance agent you want a "commercial policy for private use" and let them get back to you. They will.

My insurance was $400 the first year and it's been $300 per year since then. Prices seem to be all over the board, from $200 per year to as high as you've heard. Most of us have liability policies because that's all we're offered. Towing insurance is fairly cheap through Good Sam.

Good luck.
I have to back this up.

AGENT! Independent agent. They will go to bat for you with the insuring company. Usually, to get RV insurance on a conversion there has to be a bathroom and sleeping quarters. You will need to provide the bus title as an RV to the agent as proof it is reg'd as an RV.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:01 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you all so much, This insurance guy says not is telling me after I confirmed this that "It’s the only way you can insure a bus. Yes, it’s for personal use." ( A commercial Auto Policy)

I will look into these other suggestions for sure
Old 02-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Oh i was going to upload the photo copy of the policy he sent but I don't know how to do a pic URL link, sorry,I guess he doesn't listen, because I see what you guys mean, bc on here it says
Business type: He noted "Services"
Personal use: he noted "N"

I emailed him back and made sure he knew what I was doing which was personal vehicle use and thats it, thats when he said that its a commercial auto policy -the only one you can get on a bus. OK (can we say shady)!

Thank you all so much, I am glad I learned something here. If anyone else has any more pointers or advice please do share for me and others. Honestly I am only needing this for personal use, like moving my band stuff around, husbands tools things back and forward to the barn, that sort of thing, and a party bus on our property on saturday nights (yes you can come!)LOL, but it will have to drive on the road some so yeah, does anyone have a bus for personal use without the RV conversion that would be great to hear what you have for that use. This is a really big help. I am located in Putnam County, FL. area. not sure if that matters