Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2020, 04:40 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Interesting Alaska Skoolie Story

https://headlinehealth.com/scores-re...alaskan-quest/

Old 03-01-2020, 04:53 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: IH3800
Engine: DT466E
Yah, there was a post on Facebook that the state would allow any Resident to claim the bus and title it if the successfully moved it the 20 some miles (no road or improvements at all).
Honestly a bridge miles from civilization isn't really going to make it any safer, when it floods or Ice dams happen the bridge could easily be demolished or become unusable. Putting a bridge out there is only going to encourage underprepared people and give them a false sense of safety. Fact, that IS the untamed wilds and nature here is hard, unforgiving and unpredictable. If you are counting on a bridge to get you across the river after you get to the far side and the weather changes, you'd better have a Sat phone. No phone service, no readily available food sources, questionable water and fire status, you are really just gambling with your life. If you really have to see that bus, charter a helo with a clear pickup time/date. Or go in the summer and carry to 120 pounds of gear you'd need to cross and survive for weeks, hire a local hunting guide with ATVs and knowledge.
Maligator. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:40 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
The selfie generation + the outdoors = a nice Darwin award entree.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:30 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
We drove by there this summer, in Healy AK, drove 5 miles down the stampede rd (which ends 3 miles latter and becomes the stampede trail, 19 miles to the bus on a wet washed out old road. Can ATV it if you want. Looks like a cool destination, and the story for some reason is big, I think many/most HS kids read it in school. I thought about it, 10 miles maybe, 20 each way...and bears...
matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:21 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
https://anchorage.craigslist.org/zip...081888822.html

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Mo...399562001.html
Old 03-05-2020, 06:35 PM   #6
Skoolie

be relatively easy to move in the winter, put it on some big skis, wonder if someone will do it?

Be creepy to turn it into a snack shack. I mean a (now)famous guy died in there!!

Gonna try to get there this summer, but not all the way just a bit down the trail to say I did (I'm not too young and got little kids).

The one in the movie is down the road at a bar.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:11 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews2001 View Post
be relatively easy to move in the winter, put it on some big skis, wonder if someone will do it?

Be creepy to turn it into a snack shack. I mean a (now)famous guy died in there!!

Gonna try to get there this summer, but not all the way just a bit down the trail to say I did (I'm not too young and got little kids).

The one in the movie is down the road at a bar.
You'll have to hit me up when you get to AK, depending on the month my skoolie might be far enough along to spend a weekend together somewhere. Or perhaps you could pit stop at my property in Wasilla and give me some wisdom in exchange for a free place to park while you replenish or whatnot. I'll be soloing most of the conversion(it's my first) but I have a nice 2 car garage full of tools and a huge driveway, I can fit 15 to 20 cars so 2 buses would be easy mode!
Old 08-15-2020, 08:01 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
I see that there were so many negative incidents of people dying trying to find this that it was finally airlifted out of the area in June.

https://www.businessinsider.com/into...ety%20concerns.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:57 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I see that there were so many negative incidents of people dying trying to find this that it was finally airlifted out of the area in June.

https://www.businessinsider.com/into...ety%20concerns.
I am so glad they did finally get it moved. I really like this photo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Into the wild (air) bus.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	47961

Hey Marc, I've not see you make many posts lately! How have you been?
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:05 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: IHC 3800, 7-window
Engine: DT 444 E, 215 HP
Rated Cap: 48 pass-29,000 lbs
I read an article in an Alaska newspaper that stated that the bus had been moved to a museum, I presume it is the transportation museum in Wasilla, but not sure. Go look at the bus there and stay safe.
harleydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:54 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran RE
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: T444e 7.3L
The bus is at the Museum of the North in Fairbanks. You can also see the movie replica at the 49th State Brewery in Healy. 49th State is also one of the best restaurants in Alaska.

I guarantee somebody will build a memorial on the stampede trail and tourists will still try to get there.
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:49 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Hey Marc, I've not see you make many posts lately! How have you been?
I'll echo this...
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:45 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitsjam View Post
The bus is at the Museum of the North in Fairbanks. You can also see the movie replica at the 49th State Brewery in Healy. 49th State is also one of the best restaurants in Alaska.

I guarantee somebody will build a memorial on the stampede trail and tourists will still try to get there.
my wife as of two weeks ago is working at the hospital in fairbanks.
i sent this to here and she was already planning on trying to go to that museum today.
thanks for sharing.
i had heard and read of it but with momma there i might actually get some pics of it.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 01:10 PM   #14
Bus Nut

I don't think the bus is on display yet. The state still needs to finalize the paperwork and the museum still needs to create the display. It may be several months.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:45 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitsjam View Post
I don't think the bus is on display yet. The state still needs to finalize the paperwork and the museum still needs to create the display. It may be several months.
that sucks?
was hoping momma could get some picks and see the story/history.
she is going to see cool stuff regardless that she loves.
she was an archaeologist when we met and had children and she always missed the traveling and history stuff. now the children are gone and she is a traveling medical lab tech. and just finished 6 months at a hospital next to yellowstone. home for a week . now she is working in fairbanks till november.
since you have spent time in the area. any cool stuff historic knowledge wise that you know of that you know of. that isnt already a public attraction that i could give a lead on in the area?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:50 PM   #16
Bus Nut

It is a public attraction, but not well known and not at all crowded:

I'd highly recommend Wrangel St. Elias National Park. The last 20 miles into the park is down an old railroad tracks with railroad ties sticking up through the dirt. You also cross an ancient rickety railroad trestle with missing planks and a 100+ foot drop into the river below. At the end of the road is the town of McCarthy, population about 20 year-round and about 200 or so during the summer. The National Park has restored nearby Kennecott, which is an old copper mining company town. You can explore the old mine buildings, go on tours, or hike out onto nearby Root Glacier, where you can explore ice caves, go ice climbing, or just marvel at the craziness of it all.

McCarthy also has helicopter and ATV tours of the park. Some buddies of mine had a helicopter drop them off way out in the wilderness and pick them up 10 days later a hundred miles or so further on. It's too late this year, but the Fourth of July is something to see there too from what I hear.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:51 PM   #17
Skoolie

I understand the Museum of Transportation is closed this year (COVID)(In wasilla). Stayed outside it and visited it last summer.

I just went to McCarthy and the Kennecott Mine last week! We did wimp out and not drive our bus up there, the 50 some mile dirt road woulda wore me out. Took a van shuttle for 200 bucks.

Most amazing summer in AK! empty campgrounds, my kids playing with other kids (wouldn't have happened in VT), feel so lucky (We left our Bus up here last summer and flew home).

Hoping to check out Rainbow Canyon next week that BISCUITS JAM mentioned to me last year) Your winter travels down the ALCAN last winter was my highlite of true adventure reading in quite some time! Thanks for writing it every cold nite!