Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2021, 11:24 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Intermittent Wipers - Upgrade

My International is a PITA when it comes to replacement parts. I have a standard wiper switch with off/low/high settings that works with two motors (one for each wiper).

I want to add intermittent, but the only intermittent switch I can find for the International is almost $200! Whaaaaat??

My switch is a ten blade with 8 actual wires connected.

So, I'm thinking I have to MacGyver something. I'll check what kind of voltage I'm getting to the motors. I'm hoping it's straight 12v. If so, here's what I'm thinking.

Forget the 8 wires. Simply connect power and ground to a toggle, then add an aftermarket intermittent switch between the power and the two high speed wiper connections.

Thoughts, concerns or better ideas??

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2021, 11:52 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2013
Chassis: IC RE
Engine: HT570 / 3500SP
Rated Cap: 4
Can't help, but I like your approach.
Subscribed.
ABBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:21 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Buy the right switch or if your bus has toggles for the current wipers then you can add a pair of aftermarket units.

Wipers aren’t just on / off, you have the cycle switch which keeps the motor on after the wiper moves an inch or so then you have the park switch which turns the motor off when it reaches the park position.
Wire it wrong and you’ll end up with wipers that stop all over the windshield or don’t quit running when you turn them off.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 01:34 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Buy the right switch or if your bus has toggles for the current wipers then you can add a pair of aftermarket units.

Wipers aren’t just on / off, you have the cycle switch which keeps the motor on after the wiper moves an inch or so then you have the park switch which turns the motor off when it reaches the park position.
Wire it wrong and you’ll end up with wipers that stop all over the windshield or don’t quit running when you turn them off.
Well, wouldn't that be a wild ride...wipers randomly working. Woo hoo! ha.

Hmmm. Yes, it's always a bit more complicated than one thinks. Devil is in the details.

If I'm understanding you correctly, your point is how will my proposed circuit know at the various intermittent settings when it should pause the wipers and when and how fast to make them wipe.

So there's someway that the wiper switch knows when the wiper returns to it's resting position. It then rests there until the set amount of time and then wipes again. And even though the motor has power at all times (except when off), the relay is open until it's time for the wiper to wipe. This relay must be able to adjust all this when the intermittent dial is adjusted.

Any ideas anyone?
Old 03-18-2021, 02:04 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
marine parts = boats and ships

MARINCO 76080 one possible solution....

there are "kits" used in street rods for adding intermittent wiper function too.

I suspect you can find stuff from the bus parts companies that can add an intermittent function as well

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:16 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the amount of time between wipes is in the intermittent wiper timer of course.. how long it needs ti stay on each swipe depends on your wiper setup.. some wiper setups control the motor in the wiper switch.. others its internally controlled in the motor. . as i mentioned there are park position switches and then also a park power. that is in play.. each bus manufacturer did it differently..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:47 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
My International is a PITA when it comes to replacement parts. I have a standard wiper switch with off/low/high settings that works with two motors (one for each wiper).

I want to add intermittent, but the only intermittent switch I can find for the International is almost $200! Whaaaaat??

My switch is a ten blade with 8 actual wires connected.

So, I'm thinking I have to MacGyver something. I'll check what kind of voltage I'm getting to the motors. I'm hoping it's straight 12v. If so, here's what I'm thinking.

Forget the 8 wires. Simply connect power and ground to a toggle, then add an aftermarket intermittent switch between the power and the two high speed wiper connections.

Thoughts, concerns or better ideas??

Thanks!

Here is the wiper circuit diagram.
If you need anything else I'd be happy to share.
I also added this to the Amtran RE electrical diagram thread too..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mirror heater and windshield wiper ckt.pdf (60.9 KB, 5 views)
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:15 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
wiper delay circuit

I found this wiper delay circuit that looks easy enough to build.
this circuit coupled with a good 10 amp relay and I think you might get what your looking for.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wiper delay circuit.pdf (11.7 KB, 6 views)
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
intermittent, wipers