Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2017, 04:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 97
Engine: International 3800
International vs. Thomas, keep or sell/buy

Hi everyone. I currently have started a conversion on an 8 window 97 International 3800 t444e w/AT545 (AT looks replaced sometime not too long ago), about 225k miles. Floor is up and metal has been Ospho'd. Almost no rust at all. Bus is in pretty good shape, runs well, just finding that its seeming a little small(short) for my family of 6--wife and 4 kids --lol and 1 more on the way. We don't intend to live in it permanently, just for fun weekends and long excursions out west from time to time, but also dont' really want a full size bus for maneuverability, etc.

Being a little small, I started looking around and found a 97 ThomasBuilt 5.9L Cummins FE (flat nose) AT545, only 145K miles, with all original seats in place, etc. Its an 11 window but is only 3 ft longer than my International d/t flat face, but has about 7 ft more interior length to work with. Haven't had the chance to crawl around, under it, but the pics are showing some rust drippage from rub rails on the sides, at bottom of back door and some on a panel behind a front wheel (can't tell if its surface or more than that). Its an Ohio bus. Otherwise the bus looks good.

My question is, seller of the Thomas is offering me a even trade-in (my bus for his)...
...does that seem like a good trade (value wise)?
...keep my slightly short International or go for the longer, and rustier, THomas?

Thanks!

captnredbeerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
It's really going to come down to the rust in my opinion, It sounds like a great trade unless the thomas is going to need a lot of rust repair. Assuming that both buses have been maintained the same that is.....
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote