Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: Introduction and looking for a bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go
I'm Ben and I am a busoholic.It all started in high school when I was hired and given job release from vocational school.I ferried school buses from the three districts that served the voc school I attended.When buses came out of service and was going up for sale,I would ferry the buses from the maintenance sheds to the vocational school.There they would clean,service and paint over the school logos and names.Then they were usually sold to a dealer.Some were sold to individuals after some begging and but kissing.I was 16 when I got out of high school.I was just to smart for them.I bought a small pick up and toured the south east.I would work a few months and save my money.Then I would travel for a few weeks or a month.I threw my mattress from my single bed in the back of the truck,grab my cooler,stock up on sandwich supplies,soda,and chips.Oh,I should mention that I had a camper shell on the back.I would sleep in my truck at rest areas and truck stops.I would walk up between the big rigs and memorize a truck number and company name.I'd go in and tell the fuel gurl that I was with Unnamed trucking company,truck number 001,and we just finished refueling.I'd then ask if I qualified for the free shower and cup.Every time I got my free shower with fresh towels,hotel style,soap,a pack of shampoo,and a 16 ounce cup that got me $0.10 refills, at every truck stop, owned by the same company.Sometimes I would meet the lonely divorced woman looking for a little affection and end up staying for a few days.I had a blast back in the late 80's and early 90's.Now I want to share some of that with my gurlfriend and our children.I had the idea back in the mid 90's when I was married,but she quickly killed the idea.We divorced not long afterwords.The idea came up again in 1998 and my health went from bad to worse.Things started looking up again around 2001 and I found the internet.Praise the gods of the world wide web,you know who you are.So I started researching the idear in more detail.Glad I did.I started flight training in 2005 to become a private and charter pilot.Not long into flight training,you guessed it,my health went to hell again,and I lost my airman's medical.So I had to quit my job being an aviation line service technician and drop out of flight training.Since 2006 I have been disabled and the doctors can't find exactly what's wrong with me.So that killed my chances of getting back pay and disability,not that I have really pushed for it.I don't like living off other people.So here I am in 2009 looking for a bus and feeling better than I have in 10 years.I have looked at a few buses but haven't found what I want.I am looking for a flat nose rear engine manual transmission bus between 30 and 40 feet long with 6 to 7 feet of roof height.I would even go for a transit or over the road bus in good condition and cheap.Did I mention that I am frugal (AKA cheap @ss) old man.I recently looked at a school bus that almost fit my requirements.I can't remember the manufacture but the driver sat lower than the level of the main floor,rear engine Cummins 6BT,auto,32 feet 68 passenger.Asking price $6500.Offered $2000.Didn't have it but knew I could sell my motorcycle fairly quick to cover the purchase.I'll check the price again when tax time rolls around and offer $1200 and hope to get it for $2000.I am in Spartanburg county in upstate SC and would like to find a bus within a couple hours of me.So that would limit me to western NC,upstate SC,and the north eastern area of GA.I am looking for that elusive perfect bus for under $1500 but could go to $2000.I would consider trading my motorcycle.If anyone has anything let me know.I am planning more for a cash purchase in Febuary when taxes come back.I don't waste time when filing taxes.

Any ole way,that's my intro and bus wants.If anyone is motoring up or down I-26 close to the SC/NC state line,shoot me a PM.I live close to five truck stops.Probably more if I thought about it for awhile.We could meet up and share stories.
argghhh eyes blurring can't read without paragraph breaks

Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Introduction and looking for a bus.

I'm Ben and I am a busoholic. It all started in high school when I was hired and given job release from vocational school. I ferried school buses from the three districts that served the voc school I attended. When buses came out of service and was going up for sale, I would ferry the buses from the maintenance sheds to the vocational school. There they would clean, service and paint over the school logos and names. Then they were usually sold to a dealer. Some were sold to individuals after some begging and but kissing. I was 16 when I got out of high school. I was just to smart for them. I bought a small pick up and toured the south east. I would work a few months and save my money. Then I would travel for a few weeks or a month.

I threw my mattress from my single bed in the back of the truck, grab my cooler, stock up on sandwich supplies, soda and chips. Oh,I should mention that I had a camper shell on the back. I would sleep in my truck at rest areas and truck stops. I would walk up between the big rigs and memorize a truck number and company name. I'd go in and tell the fuel gurl that I was with Unnamed trucking company, truck number 001 and we just finished refueling. I'd then ask if I qualified for the free shower and cup. Every time I got my free shower with fresh towels, hotel style soap a pack of shampoo, and a 16 ounce cup that got me $0.10 refills at every truck stop owned by the same company.

Sometimes I would meet the lonely divorced woman looking for a little affection and end up staying for a few days. I had a blast back in the late 80's and early 90's. Now I want to share some of that with my gurlfriend and our children. I had the idea back in the mid 90's when I was married but she quickly killed the idea. We divorced not long afterwords. The idea came up again in 1998 and my health went from bad to worse. Things started looking up again around 2001 and I found the internet. Praise the gods of the world wide web, you know who you are. So I started researching the idear in more detail. Glad I did. I started flight training in 2005 to become a private and charter pilot. Not long into flight training, you guessed it, my health went to hell again and I lost my airman's medical. So I had to quit my job being an aviation line service technician and drop out of flight training.

Since 2006 I have been disabled and the doctors can't find exactly what's wrong with me. So that killed my chances of getting back pay and disability not that I have really pushed for it. I don't like living off other people. So here I am in 2009 looking for a bus and feeling better than I have in 10 years. I have looked at a few buses but haven't found what I want. I am looking for a flat nose rear engine manual transmission bus between 30 and 40 feet long with 6 to 7 feet of roof height. I would even go for a transit or over the road bus in good condition and cheap. Did I mention that I am frugal (AKA cheap @ss) old man. I recently looked at a school bus that almost fit my requirements. I can't remember the manufacture but the driver sat lower than the level of the main floorrear engine Cummins 6BT,auto,32 feet 68 passenger. Asking price $6500. Offered $2000. Didn't have it but knew I could sell my motorcycle fairly quick to cover the purchase. I 'll check the price again when tax time rolls around and offer $1200 and hope to get it for $2000.

I am in Spartanburg county in upstate SC and would like to find a bus within a couple hours of me. So that would limit me to western NC upstate SC and the north eastern area of GA. I am looking for that elusive perfect bus for under $1500 but could go to $2000. I would consider trading my motorcycle. If anyone has anything let me know. I am planning more for a cash purchase in Febuary when taxes come back.I don't waste time when filing taxes.

Any ole way,that's my intro and bus wants.If anyone is motoring up or down I-26 close to the SC/NC state line,shoot me a PM.I live close to five truck stops.Probably more if I thought about it for awhile.We could meet up and share stories.

-----------------

Much easier Welcome Ben!
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote