Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2021, 10:54 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
What do you guys make of this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/143918024516 ? I've had it on my eBay watchlist forever.
I don't see anything about the wall thickness, which was Simon's concern I think. We've used the Class A Custom tanks for almost 7 years and not had an issue. But I do like the concept of a thicker wall.

For our use, since we use the same size tank for both fresh water and waste (gray/black combined) I like to size them the same...and we need an 1 1/2 fitting for the macerator...so this wouldn't work for us. But your needs are probably different.

rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:07 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
I don't see anything about the wall thickness, which was Simon's concern I think. We've used the Class A Custom tanks for almost 7 years and not had an issue. But I do like the concept of a thicker wall.

For our use, since we use the same size tank for both fresh water and waste (gray/black combined) I like to size them the same...and we need an 1 1/2 fitting for the macerator...so this wouldn't work for us. But your needs are probably different.
Yeah, I'll have to contact them about the wall thickness. I've already bought a 40 gallon gray tank so this should be about the right size for me.

I'm thinking I may place this in a sort of tray that has a small drain to the outside, so that if there is any leaking it won't destroy my floor. I'm not a big fan of irony even if I did kinda like that Alanis Morissette song.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:12 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbee View Post
I'm sure this is somewhere else I the forum buy how long does the 125 last normally? We're going to be off grid the majority of the time. I was aiming for 200 just to be safe having it last 2.5 weeks atleast.
Here’s a useful video about water usage a d tips for saving it

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:41 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
I should add that wall thickness shouldn’t be much of an issue on sub 75 gallon tanks. There was a member here who was selling her tanks that I met to go pick up. They were really thin Walled and blown up like a pillow from the Az heat. Those were 100 gallon tanks and were spec’ed as 1/4” wall at the thickest. I chose not to take them.

So I did receive my Rocco made tanks the other day and last night I drilled a hole for the water level senders. I was truly impressed how thick the tank is. 3/8 or just a hair bigger and that was on the top flat part.

Total cost was just north of $1200 which included $300 freight. One tank was 115 gallons and the other was 18 gallons for the piss
Old 06-04-2021, 03:09 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
How does having tanks under the floor reduce interior height?
He meant tanks on the subfloor with a finished floor on top. Not under the bus.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:42 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbee View Post
Hey everyone! I'm a newbie when it comes to forums. So I apologize if this is in the wrong area. My fiance and I are trying to narrow down the specifications we would like in our bus. We're planning on starting the build from scratch and I'm using Sketchup to help put the design into perspective. We're wanting to carry 150 to 200 gal of fresh water. Being mindful of weight distribution we figured having a bus with pass thru under storage would be a great option since the tanks are quite long. Fiance is 6ft so we planning on a roof raise and wanted to save inches on the interior by not having the tanks under the floor. We're searching for a 35 to 40 ft RE bus. We prefer bluebird to Thomas based on the forums we've read. My question was are there any specific models that have the pass thru storage or is it just hit or miss. Trying to google such things gets me nowhere. Any response is appreciated! Thanks!
Hi,
Welcome to the skoolie adventure. If you are planning a school bus, pass through under storage is not an option you will find on any school bus. You can build it if you like and so.e here at skoolie net have.
There are school buses with under storage known as activity busses. The activity bus storage compartments do not pass through.
A school system may have many regular busses and a minimal number of activities busses. So, that are a bit more rare at auction and tend to attract more bidders.
If you go with a rear engine bus, you have much more room for under storage because you dont have to deal with drive shaft and Exhaust.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:48 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
Good grief.
That sounds like a ton of work.
As we developed our RequirementsStatement, we quickly realized 'hit the road' was our priority, while 'working on the rig for months/years' did not make the bottom of the list.
We full-time live-aboard since 2003.
We thrive on thirty-five gallons of fresh water.
Winters on isolated Baja beaches or summers around remote mountain lakes, we organize a group run to town a couple-three times a month.
I can offer better answers after I read your RequirementsStatement...
re:
using a computer program to design

We avoided all that rigamarole by using appropriate-size cardboard boxes to mock-up our furniture and cabinets.
As we shifted them inside our space, we worked on access and traffic.
After we (mostly) finalized our interior, we cut our window holes for view and ventilation.
Our windows are 36x12 dual-pane sliders for a stand-still house.
We placed these at our eye-level while standing inside... about eight-feet above pavement to discourage peepers.
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flat nose, rear engine, storage bays, storage compartment