Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2020, 05:48 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
I have AAA for RV's on my 5 window shuttle bus. I did not have to show proof that it was already converted. It costs me a little over $200 for RV Plus. My son is on the account. I get 4 tows under 100 miles and 2 tows up to 200 miles. I just have to let the tow company know how long the bus is.

Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 05:59 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Hello, I just got a 1995 40ft Thomas Westcoster school bus in Los Angeles and now I'm kinda scared about driving it cross country to my home in Florida. Any advice and warning about how much fuel I can expect to pay for?
If you travel across on 10 which makes sense, stop by and see us at freedom field in Luna county Nm. Well share a meal or two and maybe share some ideas with you. We fully time in our bus out here.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:08 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas School Bus
Chassis: Westcoaster ER
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
A few notes based on your pictures. The rear tires are not retreads and do not show visible dry rot. Have you looked at the date code? So it would appear they are good as long as not way old. Tire pressure, get a gauge and check them. Biggest cause of tire failure is low air pressure.

Engine looks to be painted recently? A rebuild or replacement engine? if so that puts you in a good place. By the color is should be a Cat.

Fuel additives are a good idea, but they can also loosen junk in the fuel tank. So be prepared with spare fuel filters and know how to change them, as well as have some spare fuel to fill them. If you do not use fuel additives you could run into fuel gelling if you end up in a cold spot. I had fueled in Oregon and by the time I made Wyoming the temps had dropped to 5 degrees. Good thing for fuel heaters or I would have been stuck. I refilled and added anti gel without shutting down till the treated fuel made it way through the engine.
Thank You. I believe it has a Cummins ISB-220 6.7L engine. I put in a request for the code to have the 6th gear on the Allison Transmission unlocked and am just waiting for approval and the code. I also want it governed at 75MPH. I believe the water pump has been replaced recently.
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:46 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
I would advise to avoid areas hit by hurricanes, as fuel may be hard to come by or contaminated. You might consider running the 10 to the 20 into Atlanta, then 75 down to FL.

Also, use anti-gel and Diesel 911 every fill-up to help prevent fuel quality problems -- I've seen a bit of that lately with newly purchased buses on their maiden voyage home.

Moving at night into the morning and planning food / fuel / sleep stops during rush hours will be more low-speed friendly, fewer idiots and will work great if you can adapt to sleeping noon to about 8 pm.

Most hotels/motels have 11 am checkout / 1-3 pm check in, but some will allow early check-in, just make sure parking with easy ingress / egress is available nearby. People are stupid and tend to make things as difficult as possible for larger vehicles by parking too close.

As far as fuel, going by CK's 8 mpg (I got 7.5 running 70 with a Cummins 8.3 that turned out to be sick, rocking a 5-speed MD3060 and towing a car), the route I suggested is 2,750 miles.

2750 divided by 8 = 343.75 gallons, call it 345 just in case.
345 gallons times current natl average of $2.11/gallon = $725 for fuel. Call it $800 just in case.

Fuel really isn't what you should be worried about so much as blown tires, etc. It's good that you way overbudgeted for fuel, because you may need it if a tire blows or a brake hub sticks or something.

By the way, if you haven't seen my posts on the bus safety thread, should you blow a steer tire, do NOT brake. Floor the accelerator and steer against the pull until you regain control, then slowly back out of the accelerator until you can get it off the road safely. Braking at speed with a blown steer tire can cause the rim to dig into the pavement and possibly roll the bus.
Thanks for the advice. I found that the bus has a Cummins ISB-220 6.7L engine with a Allison 2500PTS Transmission. I asked for the code to have the 6th gear unlocked and am waiting for a yes or no. I also want to reset the governor to 75 MPH.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:58 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
Fuel cost is all you are concerned about? Hahahahahahahaaa!

What if you blow a tire? What if the radiator starts leaking? What if?????
That's why I budgeted 3k for the Trip. The less spent of fuel the more for other expenses.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:59 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Ok must be a replacement engine as the 6.7 was not available in 1995. It is odd that it is painted Cat yellow though. There is a fellow on this forum in Florida that can unlock 6th gear if you can not get it done before your trip.

Also check out Skoolie Swarm on facebook. This is a Florida based group that meets once a year for a "swarm" and meets several other times for Tiny House festivals. Really wonderful group.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:02 AM   #27
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I found that the bus has a Cummins ISB-220 6.7L engine with a Allison 2500PTS Transmission. I asked for the code to have the 6th gear unlocked and am waiting for a yes or no. I also want to reset the governor to 75 MPH.
Something to keep in mind, you definitely want to find the engine's max rpm and its 'sweet spot' (most efficient rpm).

I assume if you already have a Class B, I'm preaching to the choir, but there are three key factors in safe highway cruising -- tire size, engine rpm range, and gearing.

Most skoolies are going to have fairly low rear gears -- the Blue Bird I mentioned earlier ran 72 @ 2200 without the 6th gear unlocked because it apparently had an axle gear in the 4.56 range. Most will also usually have about a 37-39 inch tall tire. With the tire height and cruising rpm at a certain speed, you can figure out the approximate axle gear ratio, using a purpose specific calculator such as this one.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:24 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Ok must be a replacement engine as the 6.7 was not available in 1995. It is odd that it is painted Cat yellow though. There is a fellow on this forum in Florida that can unlock 6th gear if you can not get it done before your trip.

Also check out Skoolie Swarm on facebook. This is a Florida based group that meets once a year for a "swarm" and meets several other times for Tiny House festivals. Really wonderful group.
I wish I could attach a pic of what Thomas sent me when I asked about the bus. According to them or the print out the original engine was the Cummins ISB-220 6.7L.

i copied and pasted what they sent me.

C2410-08-220
Cummins ISB-220 Engine (
 Model: ISB-220
 Displacement: 409 Cu. In. (6.7L)
 Rated Horsepower: 220 BHP (142 KW) at 2300
 Governed Speed: 2600
 Rated Torque: 520 Lb-Ft (705NM) at 1600
 Configuration: 4 Cycle - In-line 6 Un-sleeved with EGR
 After Cooler: Air to Air
 Fuel: Ultra Low Sulfur #2 Diesel
 Crankcase Capacity: 15 qt. (14.2L)
 Weight: 1150 lb. (523 kg) with Flywheel Housing and Air Compressor
 Idle Speed: 800 RPM
 Air Compressor: Wabco 18.7 CFM1
 Alternator Drive: Polyvee Belt
 Starter: Denso 3KW gear reduction type
 Certification: 2007 E.P.A./C.A.R.B.
Transmission Compatibility
Transmission Service
2500 PTS Light Duty1
Light Duty Service - School
Note1
: Air Compressor not available on unit equipped with C2075-##-000 Hydraulic Disc
Brakes - Cummins ISB Engine.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:35 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Well maybe it could be original? In any case it is a nice engine to have. Overall it looks like you got a really nice bus.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:46 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

Although at this point it does not matter, but I do not buy that it is the original engine for a 1995 bus.

The specs you put up are for an engine certified in 2007 by the epa. So that would be the year of build, and egr was required then, but not in 95. I do not believe but not sure on it but the Allison 2500 was not available in 95 either. So likely a retrofit of newer engine and trans to meet california emissions. Nothing wrong with this at all. However important to know when buying parts for it.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:19 AM   #31
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
I think its a Cat 3116 w/3060 trans. The listing had it as a 6.6L.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:16 AM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBus View Post
I think its a Cat 3116 w/3060 trans. The listing had it as a 6.6L.
If it's a CAT then I'm really happy because I love the sound of a CAT. I used to drive a Thomas School Bus ER with a CAT C7 and loved it.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:18 AM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Although at this point it does not matter, but I do not buy that it is the original engine for a 1995 bus.

The specs you put up are for an engine certified in 2007 by the epa. So that would be the year of build, and egr was required then, but not in 95. I do not believe but not sure on it but the Allison 2500 was not available in 95 either. So likely a retrofit of newer engine and trans to meet california emissions. Nothing wrong with this at all. However important to know when buying parts for it.
So I got a 1995 bus with a 2007 CAT engine? That's even better. ��
Old 11-26-2020, 11:24 AM   #34
Traveling

Quote:
This is half-assed idiots doing things half-assed. The 2005 Impala I bought in 2016 was listed as being a V8 (WRONG - it was a 3800 Series II V6 -- and knocking badly as opposed to their 'runs good - was turned in for newer vehicle). Someone obviously didn't know what they were talking about, and someone else didn't verify the information.

It is probably a 12-valve ISB engine, unless a newer bus was wrecked and cannibalized to repower this one (not likely). And the 2007 CARB certification would only apply to a 2007 engine. My guess is, you're gonna be staring at a 12-valve ISB or MAYBE an 8.3 when you open that engine bay. It might even be an old Detroit 2-stroke (they were still around through 1995).
Old 11-26-2020, 12:04 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
This is half-assed idiots doing things half-assed. The 2005 Impala I bought in 2016 was listed as being a V8 (WRONG - it was a 3800 Series II V6 -- and knocking badly as opposed to their 'runs good - was turned in for newer vehicle). Someone obviously didn't know what they were talking about, and someone else didn't verify the information.

It is probably a 12-valve ISB engine, unless a newer bus was wrecked and cannibalized to repower this one (not likely). And the 2007 CARB certification would only apply to a 2007 engine. My guess is, you're gonna be staring at a 12-valve ISB or MAYBE an 8.3 when you open that engine bay. It might even be an old Detroit 2-stroke (they were still around through 1995).

The 2007 carb cert is why I think it was repowered for emisssions reasons.

That is not a Detroit, I have a few of them and have worked on many of them.

It would be nice to have someone at the bus look at the tag on the engine to verify what it is, and also the tag on the trans to verify what it is, photos are best.

If it has been professionally repowered it should be a good bus with lots of life left in it.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:32 PM   #36
Traveling

I'm not buying the repower. Factory diesel emissions systems are entirely too complex to be properly retrofitted into an older vehicle. It's also very common for information and pictures to get transposed between listings -- I posted about a member who got shafted in this fashion for this reason, even though they bid on the correct listing and met the reserve.

I think it's probably a 5.9 ISB, possibly an 8.3 ISC, and maybe has a new engine somewhere along the line, and likely a DPF retrofit.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:55 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

What you will find in California and Oregon, maybe others are retrofits for emission purposes. Some engines can have emission equipment added to the original configuration and some engines must be replaced with a newer model. Oregon was paying the school districts 1/2 of the replacement costs and requiring the district meet a fleet average. So some busses must be sold, some retrofitted with ad on equipment and some completely replaced. This is happening in private business also, so you find equipment that in California's case must be moved out of State. You see California officials don't know the air over their State is connected to the air over the rest of the World! So someone in Yreka Ca. must sell their vehicle, and someone 30 miles N. in Oregon can buy it and register it.
Bus ted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:52 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus ted1 View Post
Some engines can have emission equipment added to the original configuration ...
I believe this true in this case.

Quote:
So I got a 1995 bus with a 2007 CAT engine? That's even better. ��
I don't think so but that's just my opinion. I am posting the listings for the buses sold by this school district so that you can see that all have the same engine with the same transmission. I don't think any have been repowered with any Cummins but have had a diesel particulate filter retrofit from FleetGuard for the Cat 3116. The 3116 would be better IMO than the C7. I have two C7's. One smokes terribly and the other has 30,000 miles on a long block replacement. Both have a little over 250,000 on the odometer.

When are you picking up this bus? Are they giving you some leeway on the 10 day requirement.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...&sortOption=ad
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:56 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Everyone is making me nervous about all this. At this point it can have a Moped Engine for all I care as long as it gets me back to Florida.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:00 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBus View Post
I believe this true in this case.

I don't think so but that's just my opinion. I am posting the listings for the buses sold by this school district so that you can see that all have the same engine with the same transmission. I don't think any have been repowered with any Cummins but have had a diesel particulate filter retrofit from FleetGuard for the Cat 3116. The 3116 would be better IMO than the C7. I have two C7's. One smokes terribly and the other has 30,000 miles on a long block replacement. Both have a little over 250,000 on the odometer.

When are you picking up this bus? Are they giving you some leeway on the 10 day requirement.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...&sortOption=ad
I fly out December 3rd to pick it up. Why?