Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2020, 08:20 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Everyone is making me nervous about all this. At this point it can have a Moped Engine for all I care as long as it gets me back to Florida.
Not trying to make you nervous, you just need to be prepared. The first bus I drove home was a 6 hour drive and I was totally oblivious to the possibilities of what just could happen. Since then I have been a lot more prepared by making sure I had items like fuel filters, belt, hoses and such just to avoid being left on the side of the road. You will need to know just what engine you have to know the part numbers in case you decide play it safe. Also I bought towing insurance, first from Coach-net and now Good Sam.

Quote:
I fly out December 3rd to pick it up. Why?
Just curious. The shop personnel I have dealt with have been very lenient on the rules that the office folks make. Last month I drained a fuel tank and did an oil change before leaving the school property.

BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:25 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
No need to be nervous, but as said prepared you do need to be. How do you know what fuel filters to buy unless you know what engine it is? Now since you are flying out once you get the bus you can look right on the fuel filters take the number and go get some. Again long term you need to know. If it has been upgraded to what you show that really is a nice setup. Be happy.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:07 AM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBus View Post
I think its a Cat 3116 w/3060 trans. The listing had it as a 6.6L.

I was curious to look for pictures of Cat 3116 and it does match up to the photos from this bus.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:10 AM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas School Bus
Chassis: Westcoaster ER
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Not trying to make you nervous, you just need to be prepared. The first bus I drove home was a 6 hour drive and I was totally oblivious to the possibilities of what just could happen. Since then I have been a lot more prepared by making sure I had items like fuel filters, belt, hoses and such just to avoid being left on the side of the road. You will need to know just what engine you have to know the part numbers in case you decide play it safe. Also I bought towing insurance, first from Coach-net and now Good Sam.

Just curious. The shop personnel I have dealt with have been very lenient on the rules that the office folks make. Last month I drained a fuel tank and did an oil change before leaving the school property.
Which one do you recommend as it is still a school bus.
Coach-net or Good Sam?
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:38 PM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

Go for it no guts no glory it will or it won't I think it will
desparado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:03 PM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: 30k
Engine: Isb 5.9 cummins
I just drive mine home from NJ to mass. Smooth sailing for me, other than a know front main seal leaking. But, I was pretty confident in mine because it just came out of service and I did a thorough check. But anything can happen, even on a perfect running bus. If I was not mechanical, I prob would think twice about it. Unless money is not an option.
Kvan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:09 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: 30k
Engine: Isb 5.9 cummins
Check fluids, and tires, take for a test drive, a long one. If all is good, SEND IT !
Kvan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:53 PM   #48

Wink Double

Quote:
I have like 2k budgeted for fuel just in case. ��
Double that just in case, and for Gods sake take it easy and enjoy the trip. Took me $1100, just in gas, and my Karaoke machine payed for the rest. Bring your Musical instrument and other trade, visit all the places that are historic-natural, that is in this country.

I left LA with $4000 in gas money, and would have burned it all if I did not go prepared with entertainment for hire. My destination? Worcester Mass. Estimated gas usage driving strait (AAA estimate ) was $4500 to $5000. Millage as I drove was almost 1000 miles longer, but cost way less and I enjoyed it more.
The Buss A 69 Bluebird with a 350 Chev. Motor Automatic. 69 passenger.
Edward Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #49
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Thompson View Post
Double that just in case, and for Gods sake take it easy and enjoy the trip. Took me $1100, just in gas, and my Karaoke machine payed for the rest. Bring your Musical instrument and other trade, visit all the places that are historic-natural, that is in this country.

I left LA with $4000 in gas money, and would have burned it all if I did not go prepared with entertainment for hire. My destination? Worcester Mass. Estimated gas usage driving strait (AAA estimate ) was $4500 to $5000. Millage as I drove was almost 1000 miles longer, but cost way less and I enjoyed it more.
The Buss A 69 Bluebird with a 350 Chev. Motor Automatic. 69 passenger.
350 - gas hog, underpowered for a 69 passenger

Auto - even worse.

I figure 6 mpg, 7 if you were lucky (I got 6 with a 429 in a similar bus).
3500 miles divided by 6 = 583 gallons, x $2.11 / gal gas = $1,230 at today's prices... I imagine it was a bit more expensive at the time of your trip.

Also, OP, I have observed phenomenal fuel economy by driving a bit slower than the speed limit (50 in a 55, 58/60 in a 65, 63 in a 70), even with a loaded big rig grossing 78-80k.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:25 PM   #50
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Maybe you should look into transporting something heavy for someone that will help pay for the fuel? For example, I had a big heavy electric motor hauled to LA by someone, who was moving a few things down on the trip in a van.
Can check craigslist, but there is also some specific hauling website.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:28 PM   #51
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
Maybe you should look into transporting something heavy for someone that will help pay for the fuel? For example, I had a big heavy electric motor hauled to LA by someone, who was moving a few things down on the trip in a van.
Can check craigslist, but there is also some specific hauling website.
UShip dot com
Old 11-28-2020, 05:33 AM   #52
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
Do You know when the last time it was used daily?

No matter if you do know or not,
I'd carry at a minunum:
half a dozen Fuel filters and any tools needed to change filters on the side of the road.
A 2 gallon can a of fuel
a couple gallons of oil
a couple gallons of coolant.
10 feet of good quality 3/8ths air hose and a dozen clamps.
This is a no-brainer stupid question but asking anyways. Should I get an oil change before or after my cross country drive? I can't believe an oil change runs like $300+ on a bus. Once I get back my pastor is going to show me how to do it myself as he changes the churches little bus he's trying to sell. He asked me to but it but my dream bus was a 84pax Thomas Built bus.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:38 PM   #53
Almost There

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
Agree with you Johhny!

Used to be that you'd whip out the AAA card and wait for a tow. Long gone are those days... Their basic membership doesn't even get you 6 miles of towing on a small car. Ain't happenin' on a bus for sure.
CheeseWagon is bring my bus home AZ to NY. The Good Sam representative said they would not cover the bus for roadside assistance *until* it was converted. Any other ideas???

Barbara
Caplansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:58 PM   #54
Traveling

Quote:
This is a no-brainer stupid question but asking anyways. Should I get an oil change before or after my cross country drive? I can't believe an oil change runs like $300+ on a bus. Once I get back my pastor is going to show me how to do it myself as he changes the churches little bus he's trying to sell. He asked me to but it but my dream bus was a 84pax Thomas Built bus.
Cross-country drive, I would do it beforehand. Oil oxidizes from sitting regardless of mileage, and 3000 miles on old oil could kick up the temps a bit and potentially damage the engine. Remember, oil cools as well as lubricates (see my safety inspection thread).
Old 11-28-2020, 05:41 PM   #55
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Cross-country drive, I would do it beforehand. Oil oxidizes from sitting regardless of mileage, and 3000 miles on old oil could kick up the temps a bit and potentially damage the engine. Remember, oil cools as well as lubricates (see my safety inspection thread).
Thanks. I guess I already knew I had to do it just needed that IDK. �� I've driven cross country in a Penske Truck Rental but this trip just has me nervous for some reason. I have Progressive Insurance with road side assistance and Towing. Still just feeling anxious about everything.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:50 PM   #56
Traveling

Also, yes, there is no $30 oil change on a bus, there is no $70 coolant flush, there is no $85 transmission fluid change. Perhaps the minis that are based on cutaway van chassis are on par with those numbers, but that's it.

The reality is that engine oil for commercial diesels such as these ranges from $9-$14 per gallon, and most take 3-9 gallons for an oil change. However, the service intervals are vastly different than the 2500-5000 miles you are used to for conventional vehicles, anywhere from 10,000 to as much as 50,000 miles for some engines.

Cooling systems take anywhere from 7-15 gallons, and also typically require special coolants on newer engines such as ELC with OAT (Extended Life Coolant with Organic Acid Technology).

Brakes can be $2000 an axle, tires can be $250 each for fronts, perhaps $400 each for rears. And while recaps are cheaper, they are also dangerous and illegal to use on fronts, especially for a bus.

Just giving you a heads up, a few more zeros when maintaining and repairing a commercial truck, which essentially is what a skoolie is, even after being decertified by titling as an RV. It doesn't change what it is mechanically, just what it's legally defined as.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:03 PM   #57
Bus Nut

Quote:
I have Progressive Insurance with road side assistance and Towing.
Do you have RV insurance with road side assistance and towing through Progressive or is that what is on your current vehicle(s)?
Old 11-29-2020, 09:05 PM   #58
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Do you have RV insurance with road side assistance and towing through Progressive or is that what is on your current vehicle(s)?
No., my car insurance is through Safco. This is Progressive for the bus/skoolie.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:18 AM   #59
Bus Nut

Quote:
No., my car insurance is through Safco. This is Progressive for the bus/skoolie.
I had Progressive Commercial for a couple of years and didn't realize they offered roadside. The regular Progressive wouldn't touch it because the vin came back as a bus. Recently switched to Allstate for rv insurance and Good Sam for towing.
Old 11-30-2020, 06:42 PM   #60
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I had Progressive Commercial for a couple of years and didn't realize they offered roadside. The regular Progressive wouldn't touch it because the vin came back as a bus. Recently switched to Allstate for rv insurance and Good Sam for towing.
I've heard bad things about Good Sam is not trust worthy or dependable so that's why I ask which one is best.