Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2022, 09:07 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Is there really that much money out there?

Is there really that much money in the skoolie community? Prices seem through the roof right now. You have a number of "converters" out there charging 50k and up for abominable quality builds. And those guys all seem to have a line of customers out the door waiting!

I see 30 year/300k mile gas engined short buses, with a week of labor and a few thousand of materials and ikea furniture into their conversion, going for 20k+!

There's a handful of 20 year old full size conversions near me and they're asking 15k+. And those conversions are no more then basic cabinets, a dinette, and a mattress on the floor. No electric, no climate, no plumbing.

What gives?

I made it a joke 2 years ago when I listed mine for 10k, and had people genuinely interested and wanting to go through it

Could money be made, or am I overly simplifying a skoolie? Don't get me wrong, if you put 20kw of lithium, solar, diesel generator, and go all out in one, you could very easily get 100k in just parts, but those 100k dollar rigs typically have none of the stuff I mentioned.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:46 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
A fool and his money...

Everyone that's pulled seats out of a bus now is an expert, with many selling their 'expertise' at a grossly-inflated rate.

Personally, if I were looking to get ripped off, I'd prefer it was one of those you mention with no plumbing, electrical, or heat/cooling. At least then I'd just lose my money, & not potentially my life. And maybe it wouldn't be so messed up by the 'experts' that I'd have the option of pulling out their ikea furniture & starting with an unmolested foundation.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:44 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
A fool and his money...

Everyone that's pulled seats out of a bus now is an expert, with many selling their 'expertise' at a grossly-inflated rate.

Personally, if I were looking to get ripped off, I'd prefer it was one of those you mention with no plumbing, electrical, or heat/cooling. At least then I'd just lose my money, & not potentially my life. And maybe it wouldn't be so messed up by the 'experts' that I'd have the option of pulling out their ikea furniture & starting with an unmolested foundation.
And don't forget to add the cost of going to the landfill with all of the junk you have to remove before you can start over.
Old 02-23-2022, 12:42 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
And don't forget to add the cost of going to the landfill with all of the junk you have to remove before you can start over.

Some time in the distant future archaeologists are going to unearth the remains of our current civilization and conclude that Sweden ruled the world.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 12:59 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
anytime there is a Fad.. a bunch of TV shows and Youtube channels making something "popular" theres money to be followed..

with school busses I think a similar mentality to used cars takes the uneducated and layman to come up with what they will pay.. . after all if you can buy a 10 or 12 year old used car that originally cost $45,000 for $4500 (in a normal market).. then paying 10k plus for a 10 or 12 year old school bus that costs $100k or more would be in some people's wheelhouse as reasonable.. add some work to it like removing the seats , converting to RV title, and rattle canning it white. people then perceive that much of the work is done for them.. thus the extra 10k+ in asking price..

I also believe the current auto market wierdness plays part too.. the fact that an Eco Car I bought 3 years ago.. and admittedly at 10k miles and like-new isnt the Norm.. but trade-in value is more(real offers not just kelly estimated) than what I paid new for the car...

..people have the perception that any used vehicle is going to be expensive..

Covid also started an "RV fad" thus brand new stick and staple campers are going to set you back 100k+ for even a pretty average one.. .. make 20-30k for a mid-process conversion seem like a bargain to the money crowd..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 07:19 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Personally, if I were looking to get ripped off, I'd prefer it was one of those you mention with no plumbing, electrical, or heat/cooling. At least then I'd just lose my money, & not potentially my life.
Truer words were never spoken…
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote