Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2018, 04:21 PM   #1

Thumbs up isolation necessary?

Hello!!

I live in Belgium and it is very cold in winter and mostly it snows every year. When I want to live in a bus... Is extra isolation necessary?

supercoolsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:30 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercoolsy View Post
Hello!!

I live in Belgium and it is very cold in winter and mostly it snows every year. When I want to live in a bus... Is extra isolation necessary?
How isolated you are is entirely up to you, but if it's cold where you are I would want lots of INSULATION. Yes, it is necessary if you don't want to be cold.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:36 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Hello!!

Effective insulation performs a number of functions, just as it does in a home.

It slows down, or prevents heat transfer. That means that it keeps cold things cold, and vice-versa.

Additionally, it helps keep condensation to a minimum which has a significant effect on how comfortable a space is to spend time in, as well as reducing the incidence of problems like rot and mold, symptomatic in damp spaces.

A bus is a horrible environment to make a home in. It's a tin can and, without insulation suffers all of the worst effects of heat, cold and damp. It was insulated from the factory, but the brief was merely to keep it bearable for passengers for a few minutes (usually) every day.

You need to improve on that if you want to live in it, and your heating and cooling bills will thank you.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #4
Almost There

Quote:
Hello!!

Extra insulation is almost always necessary. Most busses weren't intended for long term occupancy. Thus, they're only well insulated enough to be comfortable for the average time a passenger would be onboard.

There was a site that I found the other day (I'll see if I can find it again) but it was basically an R-value calculator to give you a general idea of what you wanted your insulation rating to be based on temperature differential.

For example, if it's -6 outside, and you want the inside of the bus to be at 10, it tells you what value of insulation you'd need to sustain that.

and of course whatever you're using as a heat source would also effect that. but the generality is that whatever wether you're going to encounter, you want to have the best level of insulation as you can afford to.
Yuuyia_Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Hello!!

Yep...if you mean "insulation"...buses tend to under insulated

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:54 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuuyia_Takahashi View Post
Extra insulation is almost always necessary. Most busses weren't intended for long term occupancy.
buss
[bəs]
NOUN
a kiss.

Busses are multiple kisses. Buses are multiple vehicles.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:02 PM   #7
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
buss
[bəs]
NOUN
a kiss.

Busses are multiple kisses. Buses are multiple vehicles.

My autocorrect 1.doesn't catch everything I goof on and 2.Somtimes sabotages me anyway. Nice catch though I guess
Yuuyia_Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
isolation