Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2020, 11:47 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Jacks and Jack Stands

This is a question for the wrenchers here.

I have 5 ton vehicle. What jack do you like for big vehicles? I used my 3 ton floor jack and it really took a lot of effort to get it in the air.

At that time I used two pair of 6 ton stands. I really thought that I was maxing those out too.

So what should I get? I’d like some portability too so maybe an hydraulic bottle jack as opposed to a rolling floor jack.

Thank you!

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:07 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
I like the air over hydraulic bottle jacks. Having onboard air is a big plus in that regard. HF has a 12 ton model that I'm kinda thinking about adding as stabilizers. Much cheaper than the big foot system. I haven't given much thought to jack stands. I was thinking some 4x4 cribbing might be more effective. I'm expecting the front corners to be about 5K each, and the rear in the 13K range. Whatever it is will need to be pretty stout.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:44 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
My general rule for Chinese bottle jacks (actually, for most things Chinese!) is to have twice the advertised capacity than what I think will be needed. In other words, I bought a 20-ton jack for the rear axle of my bus and a 12-ton for the front, then they'll be working at about half their rating. And just to be safe, I also bought a spare 20-ton, and a low-height 12-ton in case a front tire were flat, and some 12"-square pieces of 3/8"-thick steel plate to put under the jacks.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:55 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
When you have something this heavy, I would have backup. agree a bottle jack is good, less to break, and jack stands double rated. BTW, harbor freight had a recall on theirs,
the ones with the notched teeth and swing arm, I would not use those at these weights.
Put some 4x4 under just in case as backup.

I just watched a roof raise video this morning, and could not believe the people inside cutting at it without any backup to hold up the roof if one of the supports let go.
In another one, no backups and the roof DID fall on them, but they did not get killed thankfully.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:19 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Instead of jack stands, which for the weight rating I need would be very expensive and heavy, I have some lengths of 8" x 10" fir. I bought a ten-foot piece and had the lumberyard cut it to four two-foot lengths and two one-foot lengths. These fit well under the tires, and I have no worry about 30,000 pounds of bus falling on me. I made sure to buy a piece with no knots or splits, and if it begins to crack I'll replace it immediately. Cheap, works well, doesn't take much space - what's not to like?

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:25 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
jacks and stands....

currently for the road I have two 20 ton bottle jacks, my entire bus weighs around 6 tons. I also have a 9,000 lb winch that travels with me. At home I have four jack stands each one rated at 6 tons. I will be changing the type of jack stands to ones that have a pin to lock the height in addition to ratchet type mechanism. I dont use them at home... yet, but I also own four single post wheel lifts that are rated, I think, at 20,000 lbs each... maybe more.. I have not read them in a while. They are designed to pick up a wheel. They are linked by cables to that the controls operate all four at once.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:52 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
So much of that kind of stuff is rebranded. Who’s got the good stuff?
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jack stands, jacks