Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Job: Oilfield Gate Keeper

Full time RVing as a Texas oilfield gate keeper

Thought someone might find this of interest. It's a thread on Escapees with info and links. I have pasted the links here in case you object to viewing Escapees RV website.

Greg White's blog OurRVAdventures.com

Quote:
Also, there is website/blog that pretty much has to do with gate guarding exclusively and it has a public discussion form where all the gate guards chat asking questions and advice and give answers. The website is: http://www.myoldrv.com
Quote:
I am sure you could start gate guarding in a matter of a few days as they are short people during the summer. You may want to contact Gate Guard Services LP in Corpus Christi as they hire you as an independent contractor. They only make a check out to one person of the couple team. It can be made out to whoever you want. Their number is 361-949-6992.
Quote:
Due to the higher unemployment rate, the gate guards who have been doing this for several years have said the gate guards are coming back earlier than they used to. We plan on getting back the first week of September... a lot of guards will be returning then, same as last year. May have to wait for several days to get an assignment the later in the year you arrive.

We were with Gate Guard Services, LP and they furnished an orange reflective vest to wear, and everything else needed for the job. Other companies require you to purchase a T-shirt with their logo from them, and have different equipment and services they provide. As to special clothing that the oil company/oil rig site requires I believe is a expense you have to cover. We were lucky and did not have to purchase any special clothing.....

We have a 32ft. travel trailer bought used, but it was like new(not now though). I am glad I didn't get a high dollar unit to do the gate guard work as the dust, roads,and sometimes residue from drilling rigs, etc takes a toll on them. We do not have a washer/dryer but it would be nice as sometimes it is very far to a laundromat facility. Of course this depends a lot on which company you decide to go with and the size of their water storage tanks and water disposal/septic system. Also how often your water is refilled. Our experience with laundromats was that the washer and dryers were pretty dirty due the the larger amount of oil field workers washing their work clothes in them. A lot of the laundromats didn't keep up with maintenance and had a lot of broken machines. My wife usually went to the laundromat and I stayed up after working the night until she got back from laundry, grocery shopping, etc.....

Also, there is a topic in the discussion forums that is about gate guarding on http://www.rv.net in the workamping topic. These two forums are the most used....
Good Luck.... sometimes it takes constant calling to get hold of anyone at the phone numbers except for Gate Guard Services because they have a specific person that takes calls and gives out information.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Job: Oilfield Gate Keeper

About a year ago I was looking heavily into this gig. Talked with a few recruiters and read tons of bloggers who were guarding. If you are looking for a quick way to make some real decent cash and don't mind being in the Texas desert for extended periods of time then this might be a good match.
Worth looking into.

Great links Lorna. Tons of guys and girls over at escapees guarding. And a few spreading tons of mis-information.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Lorna, you are a truly an amazing person! Maybe it is the name as my wife is also "Lorna" and like you has the memory of an elephant--never forgets anything and can ALWAYS find what she needs to remember in a flash. What's that all about?--I can figure stuff out easy enough but I have to do it over and over again every day! You guys DRIVE ME NUTS! Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

internet helps...
Old 07-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu