Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2020, 10:31 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Vt. registration is very open and willing to take your money!

Most states require proof of insurance even if (like Vt) they don't ask to see it but you do put your signature to it -- stating 'I have insurance'...

I'm sure NJ LEO would care about proof of insurance but not care about the regis. under 'rona.

RE: high hours engine: do a compression test on the engine. Have a lab test the old oil when you do an oil change. Math and science will tell you where the engine is at...

Much easier to plan for (and be looking for a good deal on) replacing the engine at your convenience 6 months to a year from now (and that's only if you drive a lot!) then to deal with rust... You almost always have to deal with the rust first...

And the 2000 is a 5sp with o/d. A good transmission from all accounts...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:56 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
I've been making calls this morning trying to find coverage and, as I've noted on this site before, it's pretty much a waste of time. I learned there is one underwriter in NJ for RVs and they don't cover skoolies. I got that from Good Sam insurance.

I called a towing company near the place I'm going to take the bus and learned it would cost me $250/hr. to have the bus towed. I'd probably be looking at $1000 to move the bus about 35 miles.

The search goes on.

I'm going to get the seller to sign the VT. documents tomorrow then I'll get those out.

This is all taking place at the same time I'm cleaning out my house in preparation to sell it.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:02 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
Vt. registration is very open and willing to take your money!

Most states require proof of insurance even if (like Vt) they don't ask to see it but you do put your signature to it -- stating 'I have insurance'...

I'm sure NJ LEO would care about proof of insurance but not care about the regis. under 'rona.

RE: high hours engine: do a compression test on the engine. Have a lab test the old oil when you do an oil change. Math and science will tell you where the engine is at...

Much easier to plan for (and be looking for a good deal on) replacing the engine at your convenience 6 months to a year from now (and that's only if you drive a lot!) then to deal with rust... You almost always have to deal with the rust first...

And the 2000 is a 5sp with o/d. A good transmission from all accounts...
My neighbor is a heavy equipment mechanic for the state of NJ. I suspect he'll be willing to have a look and provide his opinion of the engine. I agree with your statement about replacing an engine vs. fixing a rust bucket, that's why I made a quick decision when I saw how clean the bus was underneath. I normally don't make snap decisions about vehicles, they make me feel insecure but finding a bus that clean 30 miles from my home was seemingly too good to let slip away. I'll let you know over the next year if I made a good decision or a bad one.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:07 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Is there any such thing as a ferrying service? If I can't find insurance and don't want to pay a towing service $1000 to tow a serviceable bus 35 miles maybe there is a driver service that will provide a self insured driver to drive it for me?
Old 06-11-2020, 02:07 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Have you tried searching the site for Kelly Newsome? She is an Allstate insurer and will take your information get ahold of somebody in your state and basically write the policy with them.

I have not heard a single story of anybody who could not get insured by her.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:56 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSquared View Post
Have you tried searching the site for Kelly Newsome? She is an Allstate insurer and will take your information get ahold of somebody in your state and basically write the policy with them.

I have not heard a single story of anybody who could not get insured by her.
Thanks for the name JD, I'll search for Kelly.

I was talking to my neighbor a little while ago, we were brainstorming about my transport situation and he suggested that I talk to the bus company owner. Good idea, as far as NJ is concerned the bus is still his. He's got drivers who are out of work due to Covid, I could pay one of them to drive a company bus to a destination and I could drive him back to the yard. Seems a good solution if the owner will go for it. I'll ask him tomorrow.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:07 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post
Thanks for the name JD, I'll search for Kelly.

I was talking to my neighbor a little while ago, we were brainstorming about my transport situation and he suggested that I talk to the bus company owner. Good idea, as far as NJ is concerned the bus is still his. He's got drivers who are out of work due to Covid, I could pay one of them to drive a company bus to a destination and I could drive him back to the yard. Seems a good solution if the owner will go for it. I'll ask him tomorrow.
My seller had my bus delivered to me (from Syracuse) for $300 which seemed fair since it covered 30 gallons of fuel and a rental car and ten hours of the driver's time. He had slapped some random dealer's plate (from Florida) on it for the drive. I'm sure the bus had no insurance on it for this drive, since it turns out the seller title-jumped. If there had been an accident on the way, I'll bet the driver would have just split and there would have been no paperwork anywhere linking the bus to me or to him.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:16 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
My seller had my bus delivered to me (from Syracuse) for $300 which seemed fair since it covered 30 gallons of fuel and a rental car and ten hours of the driver's time. He had slapped some random dealer's plate (from Florida) on it for the drive. I'm sure the bus had no insurance on it for this drive, since it turns out the seller title-jumped. If there had been an accident on the way, I'll bet the driver would have just split and there would have been no paperwork anywhere linking the bus to me or to him.
I'd consider it a good deal if I could get it delivered for $300. This seller owns the bus company so I'm not too concerned about it if he agrees to do it.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:33 PM   #29
Bus Nut

I'm happy to report that I just got home from the delivery of my bus. The owner of the bus company went for my suggestion to have one of his drivers deliver it to my friend's farm. It was a quick park it and take the driver back to her car but it's there - WHEW! That's a load off my mind. Maybe I'll make it out to my friend's, about 30 miles from me, this weekend to start planning my work on it.

I got from the driver that she would sometimes drive what is now my bus and thought it was a good bus. She said it runs better now than when they first got it so that would seem to indicate the company put money into along the way.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:45 PM   #30
Skoolie

Chassis: GMC 3500 Thomas
Engine: 6.0 L GAS
Overall a nice feel good story so far ! Best wishes !
skidfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:29 PM   #31
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird 35 shuttle cng
Engine: John deere
Rated Cap: 36
Insurance may or may not automatically cover you. I have state farm and have personal and commercial vehicles. Personal vehicles automatically get 30 days of coverage if it is to replace another one. Commercial (heavy) vehicles have no coverage at all. I must call them with vin and pay to start a new policy before I am covered. I am in California so you situation may be different. Call to make sure.
demoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:51 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoman View Post
Insurance may or may not automatically cover you. I have state farm and have personal and commercial vehicles. Personal vehicles automatically get 30 days of coverage if it is to replace another one. Commercial (heavy) vehicles have no coverage at all. I must call them with vin and pay to start a new policy before I am covered. I am in California so you situation may be different. Call to make sure.
I called my car insurance company first. I made it clear all I needed was a single, one way trip of 40 miles for a transit to a new location only covering liability. I made it clear the bus was NOT air brakes and was under 30K pounds, it made no difference.

I promised my friends (yes I have a few friends - stop laughing) that I would start posting videos to my Youtube channel so they can keep up with me when I hit the road. I figured I'd better learn how to do videos on Youtube so I started by uploading the walkaround I did a couple weeks ago which was the day I bought the bus. I've linked to it below. I also went to where the bus is stored now and took a couple more. I'll post a link when I get them posted on Youtube. Like I said these are learning exercises but maybe some of you will find them interesting.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:06 PM   #33
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird 35 shuttle cng
Engine: John deere
Rated Cap: 36
Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post
I called my car insurance company first. I made it clear all I needed was a single, one way trip of 40 miles for a transit to a new location only covering liability. I made it clear the bus was NOT air brakes and was under 30K pounds, it made no difference.

I promised my friends (yes I have a few friends - stop laughing) that I would start posting videos to my Youtube channel so they can keep up with me when I hit the road. I figured I'd better learn how to do videos on Youtube so I started by uploading the walkaround I did a couple weeks ago which was the day I bought the bus. I've linked to it below. I also went to where the bus is stored now and took a couple more. I'll post a link when I get them posted on Youtube. Like I said these are learning exercises but maybe some of you will find them interesting.

Thanks for the reply. We should have a thread or chart where people from all states and insurance companies can fill in their experiences. Temp permits vs temp insurance vs personal vs noncommercial bus insurance.
Not it.
John
demoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:19 PM   #34
Bus Nut

As I mentioned in my last post, I went to my friend's to have a look at the bus. I took a couple videos. The link for one is below and I'm keeping the other one to try to figure out how to edit/manipluate a video. The linked video is of the engine compartment. I figured some of you might enjoy that.

I took some measurements of the bus while I was there. It's about 35' long. If I cut it off where I'm thinking it'll end up 28' which is what I've been thinking I'd want all along. It looks like I'll be able to do the shortening mostly by following existing seams though I WILL have to make 2 cuts in the floor and one across the outer roof skin. The key is figuring out the correct place to make the cuts so the rear cap has the proper overlap on the roof and floor. If I do it right and don't screw it up, it might not be overly painful to bob this bus.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:22 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Not sure I mentioned it but I'm moving out of my house and my life right now. Hopefully I'll be out of my house by Monday and can start the process or getting it on the market.

To that end I'm moving a lot of stuff to farm owned by my friend where the bus is parked. Today I move a bunch of stuff I'm going to use to work on the bus and put some of it in the bus.

I got these 2 pictures while I was there and thought I'd share them here. Hopefully I can start working on the bus next week or the week after but at least I'm getting everything where it needs to be to do the work.

In the pictures you'll see the bus, the Expedition I just bought in Daytona Beach in February which I knew I'd need to facilitate the move. The trailer I just bought last month. I decide I could buy a trailer which I can use to do the move and the use it for storage instead of renting a storage unit. The car I call the Mala-blue. I inherited it from my wife when we bought her a new car in 2011. I gave it to my friend who will take it to Daytona Beach to be his vacation house car.
Attached Thumbnails
20200624_145112.jpg   20200624_145155.jpg