Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2022, 09:35 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Kitchen cabinets

Good day to all!! Hope everyone is safe and healthy! I’m looking for some advice on how others have installed the cabinets above the stove/sink etc. I have a plan but want to see if there’s a better way that would hold some weight if need be. (Not a body, but maybe a stack of dishes) What wood (2x3,2x4 along the roof) do I want to use metal angle iron or wood along the ceiling? And how deep and tall would you recommend the cabinets be?
Thank you very much everyone!!
Best regards Frank

Rustynails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 02:45 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
I do not plan on

I am not using wood if I can. I will try to find some of the overhead storage from another bus. I have found some fiberglass overhead bins from a shuttle and will attach that to the roof. To me, wood is clunky, heavy and space consuming. I like aircraft composite panels.. like what is often used for a floor.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:04 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Here's the spot in my build thread where I started on my overhead storage bins: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/r...tml#post438971

I used step treads from Home Depot as the basic building material. These are 11" x 4' x 1" and perfectly straight (as opposed to COVID-era 2x4s which are more like Gandalf's staff). I ripped them in 2" widths on my table saw to form the basic structure.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:49 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
My bus is a fiberglass composite shell, and simply screwed a 3/4" x 1-1/2" ledger directly into the wall and roof structure on the inside. To this I secured the cabinets, which are also 3/4" plywood. Rock solid, so far.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:21 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
I am not using wood if I can. I will try to find some of the overhead storage from another bus. I have found some fiberglass overhead bins from a shuttle and will attach that to the roof. To me, wood is clunky, heavy and space consuming. I like aircraft composite panels.. like what is often used for a floor.

william
interesting

i joined a fringe fb group on foamie campers. i'd bet you could use that construction method for light weight cabinets....foam, plwood, fabric, glue... i want to try

i made my own cabinets out of 3/4 ply. and they hang from the ceiling by hinges screwed to the ribs. the lower portion of the cabinet is pocket screwed into the wall.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:49 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
My kitchen overhead cabinets are entirely metal-framed, with no load-bearing wood at all. (I HATE wood!) I rebent some steel formed angle to the angle needed to hang them from the ceiling's curvature, then bolted this angle to the roof ribs using PlusNuts and 1/4" Gr.8 bolts. Above the windows I bolted 6061-T6 1" angle to the structural longitudinal steel tube there, tapping 1/4"-20 threads directly into the 3/8"-thick steel. The cabinets' floors are 12" x 48" x 1/8" sheet aluminum, bolted to the wall 6061 angle and hanging from the ceiling steel angle by 6063 flat 1' x 1/8" hanger strips, with another length of 6061 angle on the outer lower edge. Everything is bolted with stainless 10-32 machine screws and NyLok nuts, or with 1/4" Gr.8 bolts. These cabinets will hold whatever weight is in them, yet they're still quite lightweight compared to making them from wood (which wouldn't be anywhere near as strong anyway). So far, so good.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:05 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Like IJ, I hate wood. Therefore I made my kitchen cabinets out of metal. I welded 1/4" x 20 nuts to fender washers and then welded the assembly to the roof. Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:59 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Like IJ, I hate wood. Therefore I made my kitchen cabinets out of metal. I welded 1/4" x 20 nuts to fender washers and then welded the assembly to the roof. Jack

They are beautiful! Yeah, way to go! Take care of function, then form will take care of itself.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote