Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2021, 08:50 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: International CE
Chassis: CE
Engine: 7.6
Rated Cap: 26 seats
Leg #2: 3000 mile trip home , electrical gremlins

So I did post info on the bus and the trip here https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/fi...ome-35918.html

But i didn't want it to get too long, so i'll post each leg as a subject.

Left Detroit yesterday Morning, ran 500 miles to Iowa city , Iowa. had some more heater issues, no heat. eventually i figured out the noise suppression switch was turning off all the fans - so no heat. once I figured that out, it worked ok! I lost 2 1/2 hours of driving time because I had to teach my on line class, and do some provisioning and equipping of the bus.

kind of weird the emergency exit alarm went off and on a couple times - i just reclosed the door and it SEEMED to go away. Slept in the walmart parking lot in Iowa city - right across the street was a steak and shake - and the lot was uncrowded and quiet!

I stopped because I found out I was missing headlight, and didn't want to give any cop a reason to pull me over. I assume these are sealed beam?

Got going early today put in a no stop 400 mile stint (I'm driving solo)
I - hoping for 700 + miles - and Wyoming today - but only made it Sydney Neb, about 60 miles from the Wyoming border. The darned emergency door warning kept going off. Id pull over, reclose, make sure the plungers were going in, unplugging the switches - every 10 miles, Id stop - do something, get going, it was OK till 50 mph, then it would start again. eventually on my 5th or 6th stop, i was able to decipher the electrical diagram enough to pull the plug from the panel that was labelled for the warning alarms. that cured it. I was worried because supposedly the door has an interlock to will not allow the bus to start when the door is open (alarm). but it worked fine, I was also worried I would lose my other alarms, oil pressure, air pressure etc, but they seem to be fine!

I don't know whatI'l do long term, but for now I'm still rolling down the road - and thats good! I'll try for salt lake tomorrow, but since I lose 2 hours for my lecture class, I'll probably fall a bit short.
also seems to be pulling left a bit and some wear on the outside edge of the front passenger side tire. I'd say alignment - bit thats not typical with the straight axel, so maybe camber? air pressure in tires seems fine.

slowstepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:57 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
It may not seem like it in some ways, but this is a great journaling of your trip.

Enjoy it!
Old 05-12-2021, 11:30 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: G27E102
Engine: Cummins ISL 280
Rated Cap: 26,000 lbs
Great story, keep it coming. And please post a few pictures!
Bert06840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:35 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Only made 150 miles today, Floyds and Abraham Lincoln made it worthwhile

OK, so I took off early from sydney Neb intending to drive hard to Salt Lake. But the bus - it didn't feel right, it had been pulling a bit right in the past, but it was much more pronounced today. additionally i was burning through fuel at an alarming rate. I tried to tell myself it was the climb to 7000 feet and the 40 MPH crosswinds.

Got to Cheyenne, and something told me to stop. luckily found a great truck service center. Floyd's Service Center, I highly recommend them. First - air in tires, steering tires were considerably low 70 & 90 lbs, service guy thought that would cure it, but something told me - i better make sure, so I had em put it up on the alignment rack - and all of the specs were dead nuts on.

BUT! the mechanic figured out the front brakes were adjusted wrong, and were dragging - especially the right one. He adjusted that, and I was on my way - a 1/2 day lost in timed, but the bus - it's MUCH better - drives straight no input required to keep it straight, mileage jumped way back up, brakes went from touchy grabby to smooth and predictable.

jumped back in the bus, ran 40 miles up I 80 to the Lincoln Memorial site. I've always been inspired by that place, reminds me what one man determined to do the right thing can do.
anyway I taught my last virtual lecture of the semester from that spot, with Abraham Lincoln in the background - at 7500 ft elevation - pretty cool!

I should make Salt Lake city tomorrow pretty easily - where a couple days of fishing and exploring await!

Bert, I have to figure out how to get photos from my phone to this forum. I'm assuming its a multistep process, but i'll work on it
Old 05-13-2021, 07:57 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
As for photos, my phone syncs with my Google account and I just link them here.

I open my image, right click and select "Copy Image Link", tap on the photo icon when typing my post, paste the link, and voila, image shown.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:18 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
So cool that you figured out the brakes and things are falling into place.

Yes, very cool place to end your teaching semester.

Enjoy the rest of the trip with less demands and better brakes!
Old 05-14-2021, 09:46 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Made it to destination #2, and whats the deal with truck stop fuel prices

OK everyone, made a nice easy no drama run from Rawlins Wyoming to Heber Utah - near park city. great scenery, ight traffic, good weather!

so why do truck stops charge 30 - 50 cents more per gallon for diesel that if I bought it at the regular gas stations? I can't fathom that truckers are willing to pay that premium - but the truck stops are jammed, 3 or 4 trucks in line waiting, and the civilian lines are pretty long too. I go across the street, to Walmart fuel , or a small station, get in and out quick, and pay a whole lot less? I don't get it.

Another discovery today Turns out the air conditioning works just fine - so I have that going for me.

and i am probably now a fugitive. The port of entry sign into Utah says "unregistered vehicles" (that's me on a transport permit) and Busses MUST stop. I didn't, so ???

I'm here for a few days fishing, working on the bus, enjoying family. I'll post part 3 when i start the final run, salt Lake to Fresno California
Old 05-14-2021, 10:14 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: G27E102
Engine: Cummins ISL 280
Rated Cap: 26,000 lbs
Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing your story.

About the gas station thing: chains sometimes odder corporate discounts. I had a company fuel card at some point, for Shell only. The company discount was very substantial, say 20% or so, putting the Shell price for us below the lowest of the bargain basement retailers. I was permitted to get gas at other stations if I HAD to, but I’d have to put in a manual claim, which was a pain and took weeks to get processed and get my money back.

So yeah, putting in some red tape incentives you to behave the way the company wants.
Bert06840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:34 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Cheverolet
Chassis: 3500 Express
Engine: 6.0L V8 Gas
Do you have a pic of the bus? What does it look like?
buslivesmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:51 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Link to Part 3 & photos

Ok heres the link to part 3, and photos of the bus

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/p...tos-36122.html