Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1972
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 366 BBC
Lets talk ordinances and living on private property..

Lets talk ordinances and living on private property..

So I had an idea, since I want 5+ acres of land, and I'd go through all the work to run power etc for myself, why not make a few other pads for fellow RV/Bus/Tiny Home families who can pay me rent? I know most places do not allow you to live in an RV on your own land. Yet they allow Tiny home and RV parks?? What is the difference? Anyone with any experience on this subject? Basically I want to make 5 spots for RV-ers to park on my private land.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:54 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I lived on my own property in an RV for almost three years.

Local ordinances dictated that I could stay a maximum of 180 days a year. Yes, I bent the rules severely.

The "understanding" in the area was they only hassle you if someone complained. Quite a number of my neighbors lived in homes built without permits or lived in RV's. It encouraged all to be tolerant and settle issues without calling the county.

It worked for us. One of my neighbors had live in an old travel trailer there for 18+ years.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:45 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I'm doing likewise. Just be sure to check at all levels. It can be a County thing...or it can be an HOA thing...and sometimes a Subdivision/Developer thing. And I'm sure there are others. Not uncommon to have conflicting "rules".
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:55 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I'm doing likewise. Just be sure to check at all levels. It can be a County thing...or it can be an HOA thing...and sometimes a Subdivision/Developer thing. And I'm sure there are others. Not uncommon to have conflicting "rules".
Any property that is subject to a HOe moaners Assassination is likely to be problematic.

The spot where I lived was out in the sticks. I doubt that I could have gotten away with it if I had been in a more developed area.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:58 PM   #5
Almost There

Year: 1972
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 366 BBC
Thanks for the replies. I’d be definitely looking at rural property. I like the views.
IanT720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:11 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Roger the boonies. But these days, I'm finding raw land, many hours from towns of any size that have maybe a half-dozen landowners in 8000 acres...and they are acting like big city subdivisions when it comes to rules and restrictions.

Getting harder and harder just to be left alone.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:49 PM   #7
Skoolie

It is possible depending on where you are to do so for X amount of time without issue but with the eye in the sky it has become more of an issue.
My old neck of the woods was mostly unpermitted dwellings and trailers and when a neighbor complained about another it became an issue and the county finally decided to do something about all the nonpermitted properties within a couple mile radius.
Wildfire stopped that issue.
If you can put up a barn or other cover and others cannot see you you'll have better luck.
A friend of mine lived in a trailer in his barn and still had issues when the county found out through a neighbor who saw him doing so.
My friends property was more rural than mine for what it's worth and I know the county banned camping on private property in my kneck o da woods and wont even allow an accessory dwelling without a residence first due to all the 5th wheel n travel trailers as homes with a shop/ garage as the structure.
1940s 'Binder 7 window, man cave
Oldcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote