Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: International
Rated Cap: 27
Licensing Help

I live in Iowa and will be getting my first bus soon enough. Its a 1994 Blue Bird with an International engine. If have looked around for about a month now but i really dont know if I will need a license or not. I am not of legal age for a CDL but I have the opportunity for a bus so im taking it. I have read the DMV website and it tells me that if the vehicle is designed to carry 16 of more passengers then i will need one. I have also heard that if it is registered as a motorhome, i would not. If any other iowans have found ways around a CDL, id love to hear them.

nolan m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Re: Licensing Help

I am in Iowa (Ames) and my bus is registered as a motorhome, no CDL needed. I have many friends here with buses too and you just go in and fill out a card stating that you bus has certain motorhome features.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: International
Rated Cap: 27

Somewhere in some site it also gives requirements to be a motorhome, having features like a sink, heat other than engine, fridge, ect? does any of that really matter or is it still easy to get by those. My bus will just be a bus with some couches and stuff for tailgating every once in awhile, not a full conversion for a few years yet.
nolan m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolan m
Somewhere in some site it also gives requirements to be a motorhome, having features like a sink, heat other than engine, fridge, ect? does any of that really matter or is it still easy to get by those.
Well you can write on the card that your bus has anything you want, there are no inspections in Iowa.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote