Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2022, 01:59 PM   #1

Litter Box Cabinet?

Soooo...I have a Blue Heeler & a Manx. At home, I built a litter box cabinet (all wood with litter box insert & top is removed for clean up/replacing litter) because the Blue Heeler (we will call him...crazy pup for now) kept getting into the litter. Yes, gross. But, he can't get into it now. Muhahahahaha!
I am currently drawing out a few different plans while saving up for a bus (prefer mid size, willing to go small). My question:
For those that live in a skoolie with cats & dogs, did you build a litter box cabinet into the bus? Like, say, in the bedroom or living area? Similar to the one I built years ago for my Manx (aka little monster).

This photo is to give you an idea of the length of the litter box.

Litter box

SBC71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:58 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
My plan is to have a custom litter box that fits into my tub, which is about 2' x 2' and projects 8" below the floor. It will have a big basket-like handle so I can easily lift it out when I need to use the shower. My shower has a MaxxAir fan above which will double as a vent fan for the litter box.
Old 01-23-2022, 04:45 PM   #3

Nice! Thank you.
Mine won't be portable. Just in one spot with a removable lid. Back to the drawing board.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:17 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Our build plan includes a completely enclosed litter box with flap door and forced ventilation to the outside. We originally though to put it under the washer/drier combo unit but decided the noise would probably keep the cats from using the box while the laundry was being done and the HOURS it takes for one of those units to do a load made that a NO GO.
We will find a new location but we're keeping the ventilation which may actually go into the battery and electronics compartment to keep that bay cool or warm depending on the season.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:54 PM   #5

I didn't consider forced ventilation. I like that idea. I use pine/cedar/(no clue) type litter. House smells like pine/cedar/(no clue). I was thinking of putting the hole (exit/entrance) on the top near the hinge (which will be close to the wall).That way, she can get in and out & the pup can't get to it. Probably near the end of the bed, not right up against it, tucked into a corner for forced ventilation.
Completely agree about the washer/dryer. My cat runs when she hears one. I have a set in the garage.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:28 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

We use a tiddy cats system with pellets that LOOK like rabbit foor or wood pellets. Urine passes through the pellets which sit on a plastic screen and onto an absorbent pad (in the human medical field they're called "chucks"). The solid waste sits in the pellets (buried if the cat behaves) and get dehydrated.
With two cats we change the pad twice a week (just pull out the tray, fold the absorbent pad so that the waterproof side is out and drop in a garbage bag) then scoop out solids and put in the garbage bag. Occasionally we have to add some pellets to replace those that went out with the solids and the ones you find in every nook and cranny of the house (just like litter). One in a blue moon we will dump the whole thing, scrub it, and install all new pellets and pad.
In the skoolie it will be a drawer that pulls out but that has a flap door for their access.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 01-24-2022, 09:04 PM   #7

I use Tidy Cats Cat Litter Pure Nature - 7.5 Lb (Cedar, Pine & Corn). Strong pine smell though, still better than inhaling regular litter dust... I could smell it in the living room (her litter box is in my walk in closet) the first time I put it in her litter box. Whew!
But, it works great. I like that idea of putting a pad underneath the litter. I may try that out of curiosity. A cat behave? Only when my cat wants something, then she behaves. lol
Old 01-24-2022, 10:39 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC71 View Post
I use Tidy Cats Cat Litter Pure Nature - 7.5 Lb (Cedar, Pine & Corn). Strong pine smell though, still better than inhaling regular litter dust... I could smell it in the living room (her litter box is in my walk in closet) the first time I put it in her litter box. Whew!
But, it works great. I like that idea of putting a pad underneath the litter. I may try that out of curiosity. A cat behave? Only when my cat wants something, then she behaves. lol

The pad goes in a tray below a screen which holds the litter pellets that repel the urine so that it falls through the screen and is absorbed by the pad. You might make a mess laying it directly under your current stuff. Surely the cat will claw into it when trying to bury it's presents for you.
Old 02-04-2022, 06:45 PM   #9

Litter box

I built a wall with entry door behind drivers seat. Not only does it keep bus warmer but I keep litter box behind drivers seat and have a small doggy door . Because I don't care where in bus u put litter box. I can smell whenever my cat poops. But not since moving to front of bus. I swear the cat only poops when I am cooking or eating. Unfortunately my dog also likes the almond rocas
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:11 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

LOL "Almond Rocas". I think that's a universal dog thing.
Old 02-04-2022, 09:28 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Litter box

A skoolie fulltimer is Mike on his bus Bussy McBusface. They have cat and built in the litter box in a desk. I found 3 videos of his building and improving the litter box plus porch.

Building Kitty bed with litterbox.

https://youtu.be/jcK02zqx-qQ

Finishing up Kitty Box

https://youtu.be/9Wgt_3fQEts

Kitty door on bottom step with porch.

https://youtu.be/ZrTQ7Bz4hQA

Mike and Kerry built a super nice bus

-----------------

A youtuber who lives full time in RV with two cats name is Nomadic Fanatic.

He gave a review for one of those pricey Automatic Litter Robot.

https://youtu.be/qT-9ThHKmV0
Broachbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:19 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
LOL "Almond Rocas". I think that's a universal dog thing.
Welp, that's another favorite treat that's now been ruined for me.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:02 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Welp, that's another favorite treat that's now been ruined for me.
I hope you don't like almond-covered dates.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:35 AM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Cummins 5.9 ISB 24v
Old 02-05-2022, 09:58 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
It took me a while to get it figured out but now I have the perfect solution.
Jack

Opps, not that one!

I think it's this one.

Guess not.

Yup, here it is.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote