Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2022, 06:17 PM   #1

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: LTC
Engine: M11
Rated Cap: 48,600#
Looking for Bluebird Mechanic with experience for adv

I would love to find someone with experience as a bluebird mechanic to help me and give me advice as I work on a 2000 bluebird LTC40 doing the radiator and hydraulic drive fan motor replace.

I am a farmer rancher mechanic that can do a lot but I need good guidance and usually get that better from talking to people

CalC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:17 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Actually I think the folder you wanted to post in was

Skoolie tech/ mechanical and drivetrains

then whichever manufacturer made your engine.

Maybe someone will see this because it's a new thread.

You could also do a search on Google for "Replace a hydraulic fan clutch on a school bus". I just did that and got a number of videos that came up. I don't know who made your engine but fan clutches aren't that complicated.

I've never had one go bad so I have no experience to share.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 03:33 AM   #3

This is my first ever hydraulic driven fan motor and it is a challenge but I found service manuals online and have been able to find parts. Bus has Cummins M11 engine
Old 05-22-2022, 09:13 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalC View Post
This is my first ever hydraulic driven fan motor and it is a challenge but I found service manuals online and have been able to find parts. Bus has Cummins M11 engine
Usually the first thing folks do here is put a post in the new members folder to introduce themselves and provide information about their bus. Knowing the particulars about the bus enables members to provide accurate assistance. Is it flat nose, rear engine or conventional (dog house)? The fan is hydraulically driven or is it belt driven and has a viscous clutch?

It doesn't appear that anyone else has seen this thread.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:13 PM   #5

2000 Bluebird rear M11 Cummins

Quote:
I would love to find someone with experience as a bluebird mechanic to help me and give me advice as I work on a 2000 bluebird LTC40 doing the radiator and hydraulic drive fan motor replace.

I am a farmer rancher mechanic that can do a lot but I need good guidance and usually get that better from talking to people
This Bus is a passenger bus used for hockey lacrosse and baseball will seat about 43 people and is based on same bus as Wanderlodge by Bluebird.
Hydraulic pump attached to the transmission pumps Dextron 3 Automatic transmission fluid to power the steering and the engine cooling fan motor. This bus also has a 2-12” fans powered by 12 volts. On a Hayden cooling fan for the hydraulic oil, on the left side of the bus in front of the radiator. Both pass air through the left rear side of the bus.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:38 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
This Bus is a passenger bus used for hockey lacrosse and baseball will seat about 43 people and is based on same bus as Wanderlodge by Bluebird.
Hydraulic pump attached to the transmission pumps Dextron 3 Automatic transmission fluid to power the steering and the engine cooling fan motor. This bus also has a 2-12” fans powered by 12 volts. On a Hayden cooling fan for the hydraulic oil, on the left side of the bus in front of the radiator. Both pass air through the left rear side of the bus.
So it's a rear engine. You making progress with the repair?
Old 05-22-2022, 08:50 PM   #7

I have radiator almost fully disconnected and will get help to move it out and down, to replace hydraulic fan motor. Some of the hoses with huge JIC fittings may need to be replaced because they are very rusted. There are 2, 12 inch 12 volt fans on Hayden oil cooler and one was so stiff it would not spin. I got both fans lubed and working well. I am so pleased that I worked on it near a mechanic shop and that shop will help me as needed. It is very difficult to find anyone willing to work on a bus around here.
I am kinda laughing at myself because that is part of the reason why I turn the ranch over the kids because I was sick of having to constantly fix and maintain machines.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:47 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
At the WonderlodgeOwnersGroup.com, there are alot of threads regarding the hydrolic powered fan. You'll have to sign up for another password, yes. But their discussions are more specific to your pto driven hydrolic pump for the cooling fan & supplying the power steering. Your wide body Luxury Touring Coach has a more stout system than most school buses. Once you get approved by the WOG admin, look in their >Mechanic's Corner for >BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) then find Marty Gregg's Sticky - Hydrolic Fan Motor

These file may help:
https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...c%20System.pdf

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ulicSystem.pdf

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...CoolantFan.pdf

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...Whitepaper.pdf
(not hydrolic fan related, but a good read)
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 10:48 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Thanks for stopping by DeMac. I don't know much about what CalC has but I thought someone who did might drop in if we kept yaking long enough.

Tags
bluebird, experience, guidance, mechanic