Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2006, 07:44 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Looking for info or recommendations for RV gen set exhaust

I have mounted my Kohler 7KW under the floor of my Crown bus.
Today I finished the install and fired up theunit. The unit runs great and easily powers 2 AC units of 13.5BTU. The gen set has no muffler, and theexhaust is really loud. The gen set turns just 1800 RPM, but the exhaust is loud. I have in the past tried may combinations of mufflers and tail pipes without a lot of noise reduction. Any know what reduces the exhaust noise with the least restriction to the engine. The unit is a Kohler 7KW, with a 2 cylinder gas engine, making 14 HP and has 58 cu in. I'm thinking some motorcycle muffler. Frank

frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:18 AM   #2
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner
Hi Frank,

I have a Kohler 4 kw single cylinder in my motorhome. The exhaust pipe on mine was 1" steel pipe with one swedged joint in it. The OD of the swedge was 1-1/2", so I just went over to AutoZone and asked for the smallest muffler they had that fit a 1-1/2" pipe. They don't list them by size (of course!), so the guy just kinda threw up his hands and said they couldn't do that, but finally got him to bring out the smallest muffler box they had and let's take a look, hit it on the second try, was for a Toyota, don't know the model, but it's quieter than the old one was and you just cut the generator exhaust pipe off leaving the swedged joint and it connects right up with standard sized pipe. It's 12" long, 8" wide and 3" high, more or less, a normal oval shaped car muffler.
With mine, it seems that the motor/generator unit itself makes as much, if not more, noise than the exhaust once a muffler's on it - so the muffler's only half the battle. Fiberglass ceiling tiles in the generator compartment help some. I'd imagine that yours has a big centrifugal fan on it, so not much worry about the heat.

Tom