Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Lubrication...

I went out to start the bus for the first time in about 3 months. Ok, the truth is this wasn't the first time. I actually tried to start it a week ago, but it was 40 degrees colder than yesterday's temps of 20 above and it wasn't having anything to do with it. I'm sure if I could have gotten some ether in there or been able to plug it in it would have been fine. Anyway...I digress.

My ignition switch was really hard to turn. No having lived in Minnesota my whole life I understand that that will happen when it gets cold, but this was far worse than should be normal. Likewise, my column shifter for the tranny was really stiff and I could tell that it was from a lack of lubrication. So...what should I use for both? I could easily spray some Aerokroil in the ignition and maybe some more on the shifter or even some white lithium grease on the underhood linkages, but what is the proper lube for this stuff? I know my manual specifies, but I cannot find it right now for the life of me.

Thanks,
Andrew

Old 01-28-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Lubrication...

Sounds like grease to me, it gets firmer as the temp goes down and at those temps I bet it won't budge. You may have to pull it apart and remove the grease and use oil or something not so viscous at lower temps. I guess you might dilute it down with some kind of spray and hope it runs out the bottom. Also never put any liquid into a lock with tumblers or you will get stranded with a non working lock. Use graphite or a regular lock lubricant where the liquid evaporates and leaves teflon or graphite behind to lube the pins. I rented a moving truck once and it was the same way, during the day the ign lock worked fine, early in the morning it wouldn't hardly turn. sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote