Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Making Money While Full-timing

How many of you full time or have full timed with kids?
How many dont have a fixed income?
Please answer even if your not full timing....

Whether you have an income or not how willing would you be to have your RV have a vinyl graphic advertisement on it to make 100-2000/ month and what would be a fair rental price for lets say full cover? each side? window vinyls yes or no?

i got a business idea to support my family when we hit the road next spring but just doing some market research.

Like this? (1st one)

or this? (2nd one)

nate1191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Making Money While Full-timing

I have heard of (but never been in) RV parks that frown heavily on advertizing in there campgrounds. That means I know of people who were either asked to remove magnetic signs (personally owned businesses) from tow vehicles or asked to leave when the park realized the signs were painted on . They do not want you to use their place of business to drum up business for yourself. I do not know how prevalent that is. Like I said, WE have never SEEMED to have that problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate1191
How many of you full time or have full timed with kids?
We fulltimed with our two kids (homeschooled) for 1 1/2 years (popup camper) in the Chattanooga TN area. Lots of fulltiming families there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate1191
How many don't have a fixed income?
I work part time at Home Depot and David operates our food cart (deli sub sandwiches)... you don't want to do food. By the time our state permit runs out in August, we will probably have another thing to sell that is NOT food.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

thanks lorna! have you heard of scentsy? I know i'm a guy but i can sell anything. haha we have a one year old now and plan to leave next spring in about year. dont know if we can afford a skoolie but i found some decent class a's and class c's and was wondering what you would suggest out of those two.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

We've full-timed in a hard sided pop-up when the kids (2) were little (plus a dog & cat). We have full-timed in a 22 ft Class C... first David & I (plus the dog & cat) then with one of our all-grown-up daughters (sans dog & cat). She currently has the Class C to determine what size skoolie she needs/wants and what she needs/wants in it. FOR US (plus the dog & cat) we decided we needed about 4 more feet of floor space. With our daughter added in (and no pets) it was quite crowded. As for a Class A over a Class C,.. so many variables. It's more the size PLUS the floor layout. Some smaller floor plans are better than larger floor plans because the layout of better. Class A's tend to be able to tow a larger vehicle than a Class C. I have towed my 6K lb Jeep Grand Cherokee behind our vintage Class C. I would rather trust a skoolie over a manufactured "sticks-&-staples" RV. We remodeled the Class C. We know how it is built. There are plenty of skoolies already converted for a decent price (just look on this forum). Our Class C was a temporary thing for us. Now it's a temporary thing for my full-timing daughter. When she figures out what she needs/wants she will be buying either a completely converted or a mostly converted skoolie and we will do a light remodel on it for her.. If you decide to go with an RV... stay far, far, far away from the "all-in-one" bathrooms (where the toilet sits IN the shower stall). The floor is always wet and/or muddy.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

thank you again we were thinking about a 20-25 foot travel trailer remodeled to get us started i can pick them up for 200-300 with no leaks just needs floors and paint ha but then i also have to tow it which my wife has never towed anything and i like driving but i dont want to drive ALL the time and that wouldnt work if she is too scared to drive lol