Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2019, 06:47 AM   #41
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
The 7231 is not synchronized either. There's a video of a guy who did install one on his skoolie with an automatic trans on youtube.

There's a learning curve to any non-syncro combination. I pretty much plan on shifting into the range I want while stopped anyhow since I really don't see the need to split gears and shift on the fly like one would hauling a heavy load.
I have done that with my truck when empty, just put it in the range I need and leave it. An empty truck is rare for me though. And my bus I am pulling trailers most of the time too. So shifting on the fly is a must for me.

Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:08 AM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
Ah, the infamous B model Mack. My dad drove them back in the day and would tell stories of the "joy" they were to drive. I got the impression it was somewhat akin to flying a helicopter since it pretty much maxed out the use of all appendages LOL!!
Sounds like your main gearbox needed to get re-shimmed (they have a small bit of preload on the shafts).
it certainly needed something - I think I must have been one of the very few that used the 4 speed transmission - most of the miles on that old beast were acquired driving the 5 miles between the sawmill and the railway siding, so there was really little point in using the 4 speed trans - when I applied for the job I was driving a 56, 2 1/2 ton Mercury ( Ford) flat deck as my personal vehicle - the boss saw me navigate into a restricted parking area without hesitation and must have figured I was an experienced truck driver, so he hired me to drive the Mack - it was a LEARNING curve - lol - when I gave my notice a year later, the boss made a personal trip out to the mill to ask me to stay on - offered me $0.05 an hour on top of the union wage ( $2.05 Hr ) and added if I told anyone about it he'd "fire my ass out of here" - he was known as a tight wad, and could be very difficult to deal with, so I took it as a compliment
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote