Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2020, 10:46 PM   #1

May have found a bus, but out of my element

Hi folks, I apologize ahead of time for being another one of 'those guys' that doesn't know much about buses and is here. But I'm willing to learn!

Without getting too far into it, 2020 has done a number on our efforts to get ahead and more than ever we want to park a bus on a piece of land and be done with city life...with people essentially haha.

Up comes a 1980 Thomas with a VT225 Cummins (automatic...perfect) basically already converted for us with less than 200k. Air brakes completely redone. Being sold as is. Quick searches on here bring up potential issues with that engine.

I have a mechanic friend who does work on air brakes and bigger vehicles willing to come have a look at it for us, but the bus is almost 2 hours away, and he's 2 hours the other way. I want to ask in as many spots as I can what to watch out for.

Not going to lie I'm completely out of my element, never even driven one of these things let alone gone after the license. Never been a car guy despite selling them for a while, let alone a bus guy. but like I said am willing to learn. The goal is to drive it 2000km east and just park and be done with moving it.

Last thing I want to do is rush into it and be out thousands of dollars.

It just seems like a heck of a deal and all coming together very quickly with personal and financial circumstances.

Any advice is great, thanks guys.

Brian2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:28 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Don't worry about a CDL. It is not required for one titled as an RV, as RV title makes it exempt. Not sure if you even need the air brake endorsement (may not even be able to get it on a standard Class D license). That being said, there are things you need to know for safety and to make sure you don't get sold a bill of goods on a basket case.

Here is a list of things to check for in general. My compilation from 4-5 years of over-the-road trucking, and I'm sure it's been done before, however, I have added to it and simplified it to make it easier to follow for average folks.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/re...ist-33026.html
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:30 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Hello and welcome!

First off, Cheese_Wagon's list is tops! Take time to read through it. It will enlighten you. Please do not get overwhelmed ... but do go through it a few times.

Secondly, you do not mention where you are located. If you are in Canada, you will have to get an air-brake endorsement (per the many threads here on the subject).
Native is offline   Reply With Quote