Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2016, 11:27 AM   #1

Question Michigan Insurance, titles, Licenses etc.

We are trying to do all our research before diving in and have questions, and all my searching on the forum only came up with old threads that didn't answer our questions.

1. I see some have gotten their commercial vehicle transferred to a recreational vehicle title, what is this process (if its Michigan specific even more helpful)

2. We are planning on buying an approx. 40 foot bus, will we need a CDL license if only using it and driving it for recreation?

3. Insurance, what do you say and how to get it insured?

We bought a firetruck before, and my hubby was refused insurance becasue he didn't have a CDL. the firetruck was stripped and was going to be turned into a personal use car hauler but we had to sell due to all these issues similar to what were expecting with our skoolie. all of this is stressful, i hope it gets fun soon! I know you guys are the experts here, were noobies. help!

also is there a link to a getting started FAQ or something, like a step by step for buying and/or converting a bus...... or books out there>

GingerCADGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:30 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
In Michigan to change title from bus to motorhome you only need to sign an affidavit stating that you've added permanent sleeping, cooking and toilet facilities. I transferred my title 3 days after bringing it home and handed the SOS people receipts for those things since I'd bought the stuff before getting our bus.

Commercial vehicle registration is charged by GVW and personal vehicles are charged by original sales price. Look up "ad velorem" for a list of registration costs by original sales price.

I got my liability-only insurance from National General for about $520/yr. online.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:47 PM   #3

Thank you so much! What about driving the bus home in Michigan, any trip permit required or insurance before you drive it home?
GingerCADGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:51 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
I was told that our existing auto insurance would cover us on the drive home. We drove ours 45 miles home with no insurance and no plates. One of the other members here drove hers cross country like that.

I was also told it's legal to drive the thing home with no plates as long as I had the sales receipt.

Once the bus is titled as a motorhome there's no requirement for a CDL.

Tags
cdl, insurance, license, plates, title