Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2020, 10:14 AM   #1

Question Midwest Transit reviews

Hi everyone!

We are new to this forum and have been lurking for a while soaking up and absorbing as much information as we can in preparation to buy our first skoolie. From a lot of what you guys have posted, you’ve helped us narrow down engines, and have been helpful in us figuring out what we need and what we want, and we thank you so much! We want to buy a short bus with a full hood/engine access and is wheelchair accessible. Adam was a commercial ag farmer with a lot of experience doing work on diesel engines, and Renee was an art student (focus on sculpture and installation) with a few years of metal work experience including welding and pouring (Adam can also forge!) under her belt so we feel comfortable with looking over a bus ourselves and making a purchase. All of this brings me to why I am posting about Midwest Transit—

They have a bus listed that seemed to check some of our boxes but we weren’t sure about the engine yet, and there were limited pictures of the body posted, so I reached out to ask for more pictures. I filled out their contact form and waited. Several days passed, so I sent an email and waited. More days have past, so today, I called to see if A) they were open and B) the bus was available. I (Renee) think my calling may have been the mistake.

I spoke with Tom. I asked if the bus was available, and it was. Awesome. I told him we were curious about it and had some questions about why there weren’t many pictures of the engine, dash panel, and undercarriage. Tom began trying to belittle my questions, and then continued to tell me that I did not need to undertake a conversion unless I was married because it would overwhelm me as a woman if my husband didn’t help. And we would not be allowed to do anything with the bus if we did not have a CDL and (per Tom) because of my line of questions, he assumed we didn’t (my husband does). I told him he was being disrespectful in assuming all of these things, and he then began telling me that my husband needed to take over our inquiry because it was obviously too much.

I was shocked. I’ve bought and sold cars, dealt with dealerships on my husband’s and my car purchases because my uncle owned one of the largest used car dealerships in Memphis when I was younger. I grew up hearing about all of the tricks they used to sell undesirable cars, and how to determine if a car was actually headed for a wholesale auction if it didn’t move after a certain period and even how to buy that car before it left the lot if you wanted it. I thought I was asking the right questions, but Tom was telling me I had to order an inspection and pay a $500 deposit to hold the bus but the inspection was actually $143 but if I hired out for a third party inspection it would be a nightmare because they would rip me off.

I am really hoping this is an anomaly and that Tom was just having a horrid day and decided to take it out on me. They had more than one bus we were looking at, but how do we get around dealing with Tom, or are all of their sales persons of the same mindset?

I know this post is long and more of a rant, but I genuinely hope such a large company truly doesn’t behave this way with everyone who contacts them about a bus who isn’t buying for commercial transportation. I’m looking for feedback on anyone else’s experience with them.

Thank you in advance.

adamandrenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:07 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Midwest Transit is a huge dealer network with multiple yards. They don't like to waste time with individual buyers that are going to spend days/hours looking at single buses.

All of their used inventory is rusty trade ins from Midwestern bus garages. Also the Mexicans and South Americans typically pick over the good stuff.

If you can travel at all I'd look elsewhere.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
All of their used inventory is rusty trade ins from Midwestern bus garages. Also the Mexicans and South Americans typically pick over the good stuff.

If you can travel at all I'd look elsewhere.
I specifically asked about the condition of the rust on the bus, and Tom immediately cut me off saying as the bus was listed in a specific place there was no cause for concern about rust on the bus, because the area was considered "rust free". I responded saying, just because the bus was listed in a certain place doesn't mean the bus didn't travel in a rust belt and didn't have rust. Tom responded saying I was asking the wrong questions.

We are moving on to look elsewhere, but are we right to be hesitant to bid on auction sites since we are so new to the bus buying game? (Edited to add, we're watching govdeals, eBay, CL, and I'm contacting regional school districts to inquire about certain busses I see listed as available.)
adamandrenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:02 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
GovDeals and PS are IMO the best place to get a bus.
Get ahold of whoever is in the contact info and you'll usually get some more info than the listing.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealership, midwest, midwest transit, purchase