Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2019, 11:09 AM   #1

Miles too low?

Hello everyone!
I’m interested in purchasing my first skoolie. It’s a 97 Thomas built International 3800/T444E short handicap bus. The bus looks in great shape. My only reservation is the bus only has 13k miles on it. What are your guys thoughts on a older bus that has very low miles. Is this thing going to have issues from not being exercised enough?

FAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:17 AM   #2
Bus Nut

There's no way that's accurate mileage for a bus that age. 500 miles a year for 22 years? Not gonna happen.

It's very likely that the dashboard cluster (including the odometer) was replaced 13 thousand miles ago. (If it was a spare bus, it might have only seen that much over the past 3-5 years.) Ask for the service records to see if you can get the true mileage - the gauge cluster failing isn't a sign of anything in particular, it just happens with age - but you don't know how many miles the bus has on it.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome,

Your concern is valid. A bus of that age with only 13k miles is hard to believe.

Instrument cluster failures are fairly common on these buses. When they are replaced the odometer starts at 0 again.

Likely that is what you are looking at.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #4

That’s good information! The person advertising the bus is claiming 13K original miles!! I think I’ll need to ask some more questions. Thanks for the heads up Mark
FAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:37 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAB1 View Post
That’s good information! The person advertising the bus is claiming 13K original miles!! I think I’ll need to ask some more questions. Thanks for the heads up Mark
That's because idiots believe what they see on the dash. Dash failure is one of the most common failures on a bus. I'd say 75% of buses out there have had dash replacements with no odometer correction. A 22 year old bus with only 13k on it should be in pretty mint condition.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:43 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
There ARE low mile buses out there.
I've got two at my friends property with less than 100k on them.

But dash failure is much more common and very likely.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:48 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
There ARE low mile buses out there.
I've got two at my friends property with less than 100k on them.

But dash failure is much more common and very likely.
Ya, but it ain't low like 13k. There was another recently here claiming 20k, I'm just not believing it.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:27 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Ya, but it ain't low like 13k. There was another recently here claiming 20k, I'm just not believing it.
I am skeptical.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:05 PM   #9
Bus Geek

An engine oil analysis is cheap, reveals a lot.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:35 PM   #10
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
First, reserve / spare buses don't usually accumulate a ton of miles.

Secondly, this is / was obviously a special needs bus, and as such, routes often are not nearly as long.

Thirdly, if it was not owned by a county or district, but a private school, 13k could very well be accurate. I would still ask for service records to verify, but if it were, for instance, a spare or activity bus for a special needs school, it would certainly not have been used much. So it's not entirely impossible that this is legit.

If there is a way of looking up recalls on the particular model, that could be your clue to determining true mileage, as the mileage is usually recorded when recalls are done.

Look at the rubber cover on the brake pedal. That will be a giveaway. If it is extremely worn, that's a sign the cluster may have replaced. You might also check to see if there is a way to read engine run hours from the ECM, if applicable.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
First, reserve / spare buses don't usually accumulate a ton of miles.

Secondly, this is / was obviously a special needs bus, and as such, routes often are not nearly as long.

Thirdly, if it was not owned by a county or district, but a private school, 13k could very well be accurate. I would still ask for service records to verify, but if it were, for instance, a spare or activity bus for a special needs school, it would certainly not have been used much. So it's not entirely impossible that this is legit.

If there is a way of looking up recalls on the particular model, that could be your clue to determining true mileage, as the mileage is usually recorded when recalls are done.

Look at the rubber cover on the brake pedal. That will be a giveaway. If it is extremely worn, that's a sign the cluster may have replaced. You might also check to see if there is a way to read engine run hours from the ECM, if applicable.
I went to a private school and our bus was just for the extremely occasional field trip.