Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2022, 11:59 PM   #1

Year: 2006
Engine: DT466
Minimal VOC bus conversion

Converting a bus and accommodating to highly sensitive respiratory systems. Using Havelock Wool. Is it a viable option for insulating the floor? Thank you

coldcupoftea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 12:40 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Build it so you can access for inspection and replacement.

All the natural media can deteriorate over time, horribly affected if moisture allowed in, and maybe colonised by little critters.

Check out Rockwool as well.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:07 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
If you're not going to use the foamboard--understandable given what you posted--I would use rockwool (https://www.rockwool.com/north-america/).

I would avoid using organics particularly inside the walls and floor of the bus because of how unlikely it is to ever truly seal things up on the outside, and all the critters and moisture getting in and causing chaos in the pantry or the potty or simply rotting and reeking. Or mold, my sensitivity.

Rockwool is a mineral (like granite, ceramic, or glass) spun into fibers that are then packed or rarely woven into a sheet. It is already used for fire insulation basically everywhere, it is fabulous for sound insulation, and when you go to resell, you don't have to explain anything, because people might be surprised, but there's plenty of reasons to use rockwool and it won't really need any additional explanations.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 02:31 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
You're going to be living in a tin can full of hundreds of outgassing materials. I'd think insulation behind walls would be the least of them.

These things heat up quickly in the sun.

If you know your sensitivities, you may find most things you will put in a bus to make it liveable will be serious enough to think about.

OTOH I remember back in my homebuilding days that smart folks superheated and vented their homes for a few days to accelerate the outgassing of chemicals in new carpet, paint, appliance oils etc. Might be worth investigating...
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 03:21 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
in commercial construction we still have to go through a 48-72 off gassing period with the building closed up fulll brand new merv 13 filters and all fans wide open including the outside air units at full capacity and usually higher merv rated filter for prefilter and after filter on the exhuast? return systems and a full sometimes 1000$ a pop filter changes after that and then an air quality test.
have had to repeat off gassing a building several times especially hospitals and schools.
and if the county ever invites the EPA for one of those test then its going to take months because of there various new studies that have not finished yet but the buildings are there newest guinea pig. even though they make the standards that you were contracted to build to.
sorry i will shut up now
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 03:49 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
OTOH I remember back in my homebuilding days that smart folks superheated and vented their homes for a few days to accelerate the outgassing of chemicals in new carpet, paint, appliance oils etc. Might be worth investigating...
Yep. Time, temp, & ventilation. Increase 1 or more and the VOC half-life goes down.

We've pretty much been doing what you suggest throughout our build. If it's not raining, we usually have fans pulling air through the bus, occupied or not. And heat where we live takes care of itself. After almost 3 years, VOCs are the last thing I worry about. We simply can't build fast enough for them not to have plenty of time off-gas to negligible levels long before we start rolling.

As far as floors go, VOCs from insulation - no matter what you use - will pale in comparison to the VOCs emmitted from the plywood or OSB covering it.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:52 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Provide very high CFM exchange throughput in warm weather.

Well controlled ventilation is required in cold weather, a godsend for myriad reasons.

The living space being very tightly sealed otherwise is a prerequisite. Plastic vapour barriers.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote