Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2016, 05:41 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 97
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: BadMuthaFuka
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: All of us
mouse cryptonite??

man i turned on the lower front heater on road trip other day and filled bus with smell of mouse nest / piss / ****.... nest must be inside the damn heater somewhere. another thing to add to punch list
what can i do do make them never want to get in there to begin with??
no cats! no room for box of cat dung on the bus.
gonna trap them and dig it out but want to have them gone for good

Old 05-07-2016, 06:56 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
I put moth balls in my old cars if they are going into the garage for a while. That keeps them out for sure, however, you have to open the vehicle up and blow a fan through it for a week when you are done.

You could take a co2 extinguisher into the vents. They'll leave that way too!!!
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Mouse repellent

Hey there,

I'm going to reply to this one from my own personal experience. OK now, this sounds weird. . . .but, try hot sauce. Not bragging or promoting any particular brands, but here's my story on 2 counts.

I live in a rented house that's old and in need of a lot of repair on the exterior walls and foundation cement. the previous people living here for years had problems 24/7 with mice. In the summer time there would be that little dark spot moving out of the corner of your eye across a floor, or an empty box of cereal when you least expect it. The landlord would provide me with traps, poison and sticky paper. . . .man these guys are smart, never touched any of it once. Forget about the winter, you could hear them crawling in the walls if you sat still late at night. I even had a cat at the time, and they say even if a cat doesn't chase the mice, it's presence will keep them away. . . .nope not happening.

In one of those lesser known survivalist forums, I heard about using hot sauce. So I did. Bought a few bottles of regular Tobasco and 2 restaurant size gallons of Frank's Red Hot. Poured little droplets of the Tobasco inside the house in all the areas where I found the poopies. And then I took the 2 Gallons of Frank's and poured a thin line between the dirt and outside foundation. After the single foundation treatment and about 2 weeks worth of Tobasco sprinklets all over the areas in the house, the mice were gone. Now I do this from time to time to keep them away, been 2 years and still no returning guests.

Have the same problem with my pickup. Whenever it used to get parked for extended periods of time, I would have critters in the cab and somehow in the bed toolbox. Same treatment, put about 20 droplets of tobasco in the cab and toolbox from time to time and they havn't come back.

Maybe I'm a little off here, but I can prove from my own experience that this works. Give it a try. Its cheap, children and pet safe. . . but you will have the faint smell of hot sauce everywhere for a day or so after an application.
homemadeheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #4
Skoolie

now were talkin! im on it, love that it kid and dog safe, and ill just cook Mexican on the treatment days!
Old 05-07-2016, 08:12 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
I've seen cayenne pepper used to repel mice so using tabasco sauce sounds about right.

Last weekend Roachie developed a fuel leak on the way home and while searching for the leak I found the mother of all mouse/squirrel nests in the engine valley. I'm thinking I'll sprinkle some cayenne along with a little tabasco just for The Halibut (The Halibut is a fish you do things for). Otherwise I'll need to tie the cat out there all winter and he's not gonna like that.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:28 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
And all this time I thought the smell was the Taco Bell wrappers under the seat.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Dang. . . .I ain't gonna lie. There probably is an old Taco Bell wrapper in there somewhere. . . . .
homemadeheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:42 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
also close the outside vent when you park your bus.. and put screen up on the intake vent for the driver console heater..

on my last bus I used window screen inside the heater box so they couldnt get in.. and then placed my 'Fresh / Recirc" Lever in Recirc whenever I wasnt using the system.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:33 PM   #9
Bus Geek

I always seem to have mice out here. Apparently it's actually their house. They do seem to like vehicles too. My cat will just watch a mouse run across the floor without even getting up, but when she hears a mousetrap snap she gets right up and takes care of the cleanup. There should be a pile of mousetraps wherever she eats the mice.

Caught a packrat last year. You'd think it was a squirrel, but an ugly squirrel.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:10 AM   #10
Skoolie

so i tore the dash apart yesterday, located the invaders strong hold and proceeded to show them what the true power of my rigid shop vac was all about! the mice were all i was all then i called in an Tabasco air strike to lay some hate on the battle field while it was accessible .
now , all is quiet on the north eastern front

back to work, im almost done!!
Old 05-10-2016, 10:49 AM   #11
Bus Geek

That reminds me of when I opened a vent and a bunch of baby mice rolled onto the floor in my truck.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:42 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
I have used Drier Sheets in the past when I had classic cars. They smell nice unlike moth balls. Always seemed to work for keeping mice out of cars. I always used 5 sheets per car. Gray beard once told me to do it and it worked.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:55 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Hey, moth balls smell good compared to a mouse nest. Honestly in my experience that does not stop mice because they have made nests in a container full of clothing by chewing a small hole in the lid. It appeared that they froze to death anyway, but the moth balls didn't seem to intimidate them at all. Haven't tried hot sauce yet, except on my eggs.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:30 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Hey...that's the same way you use it on mice! Great with a side of hash browns.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:56 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Mice don't brown evenly.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:59 AM   #16
Skoolie

so far still no signs of mice. the tabasco seems to have done it!