Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: My Skoolie Stereotype Rant

I agree, but I usually only hear these negative stereotypes from older people... No one my age (26) has ever had anything negative to say to me about it.. Most of my friends really like it.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

I've found that other than the cops, I have had mostly positive reactions to my bus. My friends all get a kick out of it. If I were single, I would DEFINITELY be living in it. I'd probably STAY single, but I couldn't handle a woman who didn't like the bus anyways. Anyways, who cares what people think. Everybody is worried about getting a big fancy house and having the nicest car on their block. That's sad. Some people don't understand anything that's different from what they do.
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:32 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I'm with Phill on this one. People around my own age seem to think it's great. Some older people do scoff at the idea, but only until they see it and some of the work done by others. I think the idea people seem to get is that you have some 40 year old bus with a big wood stove in it, lots of love beads, and a paint job that could only be accomplished after a few hits of acid...not that I have anything against that if that's your thing. The skoolie crowd is multifaceted and very accepting. If others just don't "get it" then who cares about them anyway?
Old 10-11-2007, 05:18 AM   #4
Almost There

Agreed, the people in the 20's to 30's love the idea, the older crowd keeps asking when I am going to paint it to look like the Partrige Family Bus. Everyone is keen on the veggie oil concept though.

Chicks dig the car, err, bus. My local cops love it and the state troopers on the highways never give us a second glance. About 1 in 10 cars that passes us slows down to take it all in and usually wave.

Everyone at work wanted to see it so bad I actually brought it in one day and within 5 minutes security wanted to tow it because they wouldn't believe it was mine until I was able to open the door and start it with my keys. We even took it to lunch that day. I found that after most people saw it and understood the total concept they were much keener on the idea.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:37 AM   #5

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

If you go through life concerned about what people think about you, you're not going to be a happy camper. Either they get it or they don't. Take the wind out of their sails before they have a chance to say anything. Tell them you rode the special bus when you were younger and you wanted to get one when you grew up. If it's your neighbors, tell them you're starting a halfway house for parolees and you needed something large enough to carry 20 people. Tell them that their wife/daughter liked the bus, especially the bedroom. Tell them you bought the bus to smuggle illegals across the Canadian borber. Tell them if they don't shut their pie hole, you'll park on top of their minivan. Or you could show them some pictures of RV crashes and some bus crashes and ask them which one they would feel safer in. Either way, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:10 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 351 windsor
Rated Cap: 72

Here in Arkansas I make a big deal out of being super redneck with my big ol bus. I tell people that I am the super white trash red neck king of all white trash rednecks.(Even though I am native american) I always get a positive reaction. People are always curious and freindly to me. If they don't like my bus, that's tough. My wife and grandkids think it's cool. They know and appreciate the hard work involved. We are all proud to have and use buster.
Dave
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
Bus Nut

I agree. I somewhat like the fact that people think it's trashy. Most people though seem to like the money saving idea of it all. I'm doing my conversion up pretty nice and taking a lot of time on the small details. My bus definitely gets some stares and if I stop, I always have somebody asking me questions. I like to drive with the door open. I've had people ask me questions while sitting at stoplights. I usually tell them that I'm converting it to my new house. They usually don't have a response.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:44 AM   #8

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC10Chief
My bus definitely gets some stares

It's the teeth!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:24 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: T444E 3800
Rated Cap: 36

Wait a minute, we're all not hippy freaks driving around in a bus? I thought we were too. If I were single I would live in it!! I'm just happy to be a weekend wierdo driving his bus around. It really is freeing to be able to drive anywhere and be able to pull off somewhere and hang in comfort for as long as you want. I love the bus and everyone is just jealous that they don't have the personality to own one.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:05 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Are there seriously RV parks where you can't stay if your rig is older than 10 years? Wow. I wouldn't want to stay there anyways. I like to boondock, camp at Wal-Mart, state parks and places like that.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:06 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

If I had $450,000 to blow I wouldn't blow it on a prefab home on wheels, I'd just have a newer skoolie with a little more kick. I can't see spending that much for that many extras that you really don't need.

On a trip I took last spring I did get a few compliments from some people that bought prefab units, and these people were retired. I'm not sure if it was my concept of doing it to have the wheelchair lift or not but it might have been. Buying a wheelchair lift rv on the used market just doesn't happen at a reasonable price. And even then they are usually one where you have to walk in and the wheelchair goes up a sling lift of some sort. The skoolie is nice for my friend cause she can raise and lower herself on her own. She likes riding in the bus too.

My biggest problem sometimes is finding a place to park where I can drop the lift without having someone block the door.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:42 AM   #12
Skoolie

Coachwork: Amtran

2 of 3 RV parks here use that 10 year rule...most use it to keep out the "riff raff" and will normaly look at it if its over 10 years old and in the slow season..
Demonknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:10 AM   #13
Bus Geek

everyone loves my bus.....even the cops and the border patrol.

phill and i stayed at a nice rv park in texas and even people with $100k motorhomes thought the bus was great.

there's been very very few people who have ever said bad things to me about the bus.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:26 AM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: Chevorlet AT545 Allison auto
Engine: 8.2 litter Detriot Deisel
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via AIM to DizzyIzzy Send a message via MSN to DizzyIzzy Send a message via Yahoo to DizzyIzzy

I don't mind the associating me with Hippies or The Grateful Dead. I am a Hippie. I am a sandal wearing long hair that sells ice cream and does concert photography for a living. I followed the Dead & Phish for many years and loved it. The only difference is I shower and work. lol

As for the bus it will be painted up with a modern paint job and very non hippie in its looks.
Left a bus stop in its place
The bus came by and I got on
That's when it all began
There was cowboy Neal
At the wheel
Of a bus to never-ever land"
DizzyIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:52 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
phill and i stayed at a nice rv park in texas and even people with $100k motorhomes thought the bus was great.
And that's when mine was still yellow and said SCHOOL BUS in giant letters across the front.

I can't even tell ya how many people have told me "I always wanted to do that"... I'm thinking to myself... if you wanted to, why didn't ya? Ya only live once.