Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2017, 08:58 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: International CE 300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71 passenger / 12 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
a CPS sensor fail, sucks but falls under the repairable on the road category...
If you know what you're doing. (I really don't. I know more than the average bear, but what does a bear know about bus repair?)

Quote:
Ohio busses may get rusty but they tend to run great..
I've wondered about that. It seems that the buses that don't get rusty DO rack up huge numbers of miles and engine hours. I guess you pick your poison.

Quote:
just be prepared(not to be confused with scared) to break down in any bus you have... chsnces are you get many miles and trips out of a well maintained bus without issues.. ive run a ton of miles on both my busses...
-Christopher
I'm always prepared for a breakdown. I've driven old vehicles my whole life (except for my current car, a 2014 Toyota Prius v... AWESOME VEHICLE... 153,000 miles so far with NO TROUBLE AT ALL)...... so in any of my vehicles, there's always a "breakdown kit". (Naturally the one in the '72 Caddy is substantially larger than the one in the Prius!) I usually bring jumper cables, a small assortment of tools, a bottle of oil, etc.

The problem is... the way we roll, a breakdown would probably be a bad thing in a professional sense. If we ONLY used the bus for vacations, and we broke down, oh well. But, we'll be using it as a traveling rig for playing shows all over the place, among other things. A breakdown would probably prevent us from making a show... and then it makes us look flaky, and we fight enough of an uphill battle against "musicians are flaky" as it is! (A facility where we played in 2013, and many times in the past, blackballed us because we kind of broke down en route to our show there, and had to keep the RV parked in an inconvenient but not unsafe place on their property for several hours until the mechanic was able to fix us up. I say "kind of broke down" because the alternator failed, yet there was enough juice in the battery to get us where we had to go. Yes, when we turned off the engine upon arrival, it didn't even click when we tried to crank it again. The funny thing is that WE MADE OUR SHOWS ON TIME... but they haven't had us back since, because of that experience! Go figure!)

So... avoidance of breakdowns would be a really good thing.

I know that a lot of people talk about not wanting to get a rusty bus, but I see it this way. I don't know for sure that I will want to have a bus for a long time. I think it'd be a cool thing now, but I once thought that having an RV would be cool. So we got the RV and used it for the better part of a year, but then once we got our house in early 2014, the RV just sat and sat. I drove it occasionally just to keep everything running, but when I sold it in May 2016, it had amassed maybe 30 miles in 2 1/2 years. I never thought we wouldn't use it. So if we get a bus, we might use it for a while, and then if it sits... will I want to have a lot of money tied up in it? Definitely not. Therefore, there's a certain logic to buying a cheap bus that runs well even if it is cheap because it has rust... or at least so I think. (You or anyone else on this forum can feel free to tell me why you disagree with this statement if you do disagree with it.) We don't make much money, so it's not like we could easily eat a $10,000 loss if we bought a really nice bus and eventually had to offload it for a huge loss because of depreciation or whatever. (We took a $7,000 bath on the RV and that was heartbreaking! It's a lesson learned. We paid $12,000 for it, put about $3,000 into it, and then had to sell it for $8,000 because that's the most anyone would give us for it.)

So it's like this... if I get a $2,000 bus and it rusts out... I'm out two grand, unless you figure that I could probably part it out and scrap the body for close to that much money.

RomaniGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:06 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

choice & risk

In any purchase decision you (and only you) need to rank what is important to you and how much risk you're willing to assume.

My criteria for a bus were:
1. short bus with a high ceiling
2. no rust, I only considered southern Arizona, southern New Mexico, west Texas, and noncoastal central and southern California
3. low cost
4. low mileage
5. good mechanical condition
6. air conditioning if possible

I found a p30 chevy 5.7 gas engine carpenter body on gov deals from Bakersfield with 240,000 miles. But the price was low enough that I was willing to gamble. In my mind I decided that if I didn't like it or it failed on the drive back to Phoenix I would just leave it somewhere and try to resell it. Or just walk away.

I tried to research the vehicle but the district separates the operations from the mechanics and the office had no information about anything., Again the price was low enough that I took a chance.

Turns out I really lucked out. The bus has air conditioning and the district uses full synthetic oil from new. So in spite of the mileage the engine and transmission are in great shape.

So in my case everything turned out ok, but I was willing to accept the risk of losing all of my money.

You need to decide what is important to you and how much risk you can stand. If money is really tight and you're not a mechanic you might consider a dealer, at least you can probably get some kind of warranty or service as they have reputations to protect. I knew that if the engine fell out of my bus when I drove off the lot it was still my bus and my problem, not the seller's

Don't worry what anyone paid for a vehicle or how much profit they'll make. Just decide on the bus you'd like and then balance price, condition, mileage, warranty, distance, etc.

If you're a good mechanic an auction might be a better choice. But auctions are a gamble, mine turned out ok, yours may not.

As an aside, I've dealt with AAA on some small items and really like them. Their inventory looks clean and they know what they are doing. Have no idea on price, but I've found them very willing to talk on the phone and answer any questions (no matter how dumb)
tailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:12 PM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: International CE 300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71 passenger / 12 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailor View Post
I found a p30 chevy 5.7 gas engine carpenter body on gov deals from Bakersfield with 240,000 miles. But the price was low enough that I was willing to gamble.
What'd you pay for that bus, in the end after buyer's premium?
RomaniGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:01 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

$735 total. And further luck, tires are 75% drive, 90% front
tailor is offline   Reply With Quote