Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2020, 12:28 AM   #1

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 72?
Need a mechanic in Asheville

Hello all, I'm in Asheville nc and need to work on my differential. There is a leak and damage of some sort that I'm hoping is the wheel bearings and not the gears themselves. About ten miles out of town I was hearing intermittent rumbling that I took to strips on the road, once stopped I smelled burning gear oil and realized it was coming from the back of the vehicle. I should have fixed the leak in West Virginia, live and learn.
I was considering renting some jacks and doing the work with the help of a local friend but have decided that I should have a professional do it. I'm looking for advice as to finding a bus mechanic in a new town, or better yet someone who knows of a good one in Asheville. I'm considering asking around at the school bus garages and firehouses but do not know if this is frowned upon, don't be shy to inform me if this is a good way to get my ass kicked, you might save my life.
Any and all advice is welcome.
Thank you all so much.

Sid_Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:50 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Actually asking around at the local bus garage and firehouses is a great idea. They may not be able to do the work, but I'm betting they can point you to some reputable, fairly priced places that can.

The gears can be swapped without removing the rear axle. The carrier is held in by the axle shafts, driveshaft and some bolts, after which it's out. The hardest part of the job is simply the weight of the carrier housing and gears - 300+ pounds.

I have an N175 axle in mine with 5.38 gears I am looking to swap (I need a numerically lower ratio), if that'll work for you. It should interchange with the N190 axle, or so I'm led to understand.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:45 AM   #3

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 72?
That's great information, thanks a lot man.
Sid_Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote