Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2021, 05:41 PM   #1

Need help with roof! Sealing, painting, etc... please and thank you!

I have just a few very minor leaks that I’m aware of around the emergency exit hatch in the roof and around a few windows that need to be resealed, but I’m trying to “waterproof” the bus as much as possible to prevent any future leaks. My roof already has a couple coats of tropicool on it, and I keep reading that because tropicool is silicone you can’t paint over it or that new paint won’t stick to it. I was planning on using eternabond tape on all of my seams and rivets on the roof and then I wanted to either put another coat or two of tropicool on over the tape (I was gonna paint the whole roof with it again) or paint the roof and possibly the whole bus with a rhino liner type of paint that would also be put on over the tape. My main questions are...

- Can I paint over tropicool since it is silicone? If so what kind of paint would adhere to the tropicool? If not can I paint more tropicool over the tropicool that’s already there?

- Can I paint over the eternabond tape? Do I need to sand the tape or rough it up at all before painting over it? Should I use the eternabond roof seal tape or eternabond web seal tape? I’ve heard the web seal can be painted over but I’m not sure if it works as well as the roof seal. I’ve heard mixed things about whether or not you should paint over the roof seal tape.

-Eternabond makes a tintable UV protector. Should I use this over the tape and then coat the roof with tropicool?

Will any sort of rhino liner, bed liner, lizard skin, etc. stick to the tropicool?

Basically any info or advice you can give me would be really awesome! I’m hung up on this big time and I’m not sure what my options are or what’s going to be best considering that I already have tropicool as the base and I don’t want to strip what’s there completely and start over.

Thanks so much!

Let’sGO! is offline   Reply With Quote