Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Need Semi-truck info. (9670 Int. 3406b cat.)

I need some help from those of you with knowledge of "Big" trucks. I'm going this afternoon to look at a 1989 9670 International truck. Has 500K miles, not sure how many on engine yet. 3406b Cat (air-to-air) with 9 speed 3.54 gear. Tandem axle truck with one removed, currently single axle but could be changed back to tandem. Supposed to be a good running truck. I'm thinking about making a car hauler out of it, but will probably have to sell it instead. Guy wants to trade for a pickup I've got. I'd have to sell the Int. for $2500 to make it worthwile. I know there are some truck drivers on here, what do you guys know about these trucks? Are they hard to sell or will I have to sit on it a while? Any help will be greatly appreciated, I'd just like to know a little more before I go look at it.
Thanks!
Brad

bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:27 AM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: Need Semi-truck info. (9670 Int. 3406b cat.)

Couple of guys told me that is a great engine but I couldn't say for sure. Welcome to the truck business. One repair can cost you more than $2500. Be careful.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
Bus Nut

here's a picture the guy just sent, doesn't look too bad.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:19 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: ward flat nose
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466 mt643 air ride
Rated Cap: 84

Cat engine parts are the most expensive of all the competing engines out here. Tho a lot of people will swear that power wise, it's the best engine out here. The engine itself is worth at least $3000 if you wanted to scrap it out. Most older tractors sell between $2500 and $5000. But beware, with this high cost of fuel, there are thousand of trucks for sale a greatly discounted prices. Just check on e-bay to see if you want to join the hundreds already there trying to sell equipment.

Now if you were planning to run the truck yourself that would be a different story, but I gather you don't have such a plan. the mileage seem low for a truck that age, I would suspect closer to 1 and a half million miles, but there are always exceptions. I have a '87 Freightliner with that same engine. It has 1.2 million on it and it has been sitting for the last 5 years. The engine and drive train are in great condition, but I can't afford to put a driver in it ( and pay him/her a decent wage) because of the depressed freight rates and the high cost of fuel and maintenance. I've also got over $9k in the rebuilt engine and tranny, therefore I wouldn't sell it for $5000.

Follow you gut feeling on this one, cause your the one that will have to live with it. Cabovers sell for even less.
kotflb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
Bus Nut

how would something like that do in a skoolie? Probably have to be a doghouse nosed bus.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:38 PM   #6
Bus Nut

what I'd really like to do is build a flatbed car hauler for my personal use, but due to financial constraints right now, I'd probably have to sell it. I just figured it would bring more than my old F150 I'd be trading. But sounds like I might have a hard time getting rid of it. If I didn't need the money, I'd do it just to have it because I think the old cabovers look cool.
Thanks for the input guys!
Old 11-18-2007, 06:20 PM   #7

I don't know what state you're in, but in Kalifornia there is some MAJOR stuff happening with commercial trucks right now. Older trucks are having to put a particulate trap or in some cases, change the engine to meet new standards. Better check in your state.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 11-18-2007, 07:30 PM   #8
Bus Nut

I'm in Indiana. I'll check into that. I'm trying to figure out how to title this truck as non CDL for my personal use. any ideas?
Old 11-18-2007, 07:44 PM   #9

Make a small toter out of it. Register it as a rv. I saw one that had a 28ft box with bed, portapotty and a sink. It was registered as a rv in Tenn.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 11-19-2007, 09:23 AM   #10
Bus Nut

why doesn't anybody make cabovers anymore? seems like a more efficient use of space. and it gives you more room for a monster sized sleeper, although it probably wouldn't be accessible from the cab.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:30 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I think bridge laws pertaining to wheelbase might be a big factor along with allowments for overall length. That might be a good question to pose for Elliot though since he seems to be our guru of all things interstate transportation related. Has anyone seen him in a while?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:02 PM   #12

Bridge laws won't come into play here if he just builds a flat bed car hauler.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 11-19-2007, 07:41 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Well theoretically they still do, but I think he'd be exceeding the axle weight limits if he violated bridge laws anyway. I was just saying I think that was part of what led to the end of cab overs for the most part. That and the preference on the part of truck drivers for a sleeper the size of my last apartment that they can access from the driver's seat.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:58 AM   #14
Bus Nut

I'm gonna call the BMV and see if I can get some info, but you know how that is, it just depends on who you get on the phone. I think it would work if I could retitle as an RV like I did my bus, but I'd have to file a "change of body" form signed by a police officer who has verified the change. That might be difficult since it obviously won't really be an RV like the bus. But there were no set requirements on the form, just a spot to "verify the change has been completed". Maybe if I say it will be used just to tow a fifth wheel camper for personal use they will allow it to be RV. I don't know, I'll check it out. This is one of those things I don't really need, but really want for the neat factor. Plus, dad will be pretty cool when he can take the kids on a bus ride AND a semi-truck ride!
Old 11-20-2007, 07:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
Well theoretically they still do, but I think he'd be exceeding the axle weight limits if he violated bridge laws anyway. I was just saying I think that was part of what led to the end of cab overs for the most part. That and the preference on the part of truck drivers for a sleeper the size of my last apartment that they can access from the driver's seat.
I thought you talking about if he kept it for a flatbed. He would never come close to maxing out the axles. I can't see from the picture if it's a two or three axle truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis441
I'm gonna call the BMV and see if I can get some info, but you know how that is, it just depends on who you get on the phone. I think it would work if I could retitle as an RV like I did my bus, but I'd have to file a "change of body" form signed by a police officer who has verified the change. That might be difficult since it obviously won't really be an RV like the bus. But there were no set requirements on the form, just a spot to "verify the change has been completed". Maybe if I say it will be used just to tow a fifth wheel camper for personal use they will allow it to be RV. I don't know, I'll check it out. This is one of those things I don't really need, but really want for the neat factor. Plus, dad will be pretty cool when he can take the kids on a bus ride AND a semi-truck ride!
You would definately have to make it a toter to get away with that. I don't think the DMV cares what you "tell" them. I think it's different with a school bus. Once you strip all the seats out, it really isn't a bus anymore. Much easier to prove.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 11-20-2007, 05:28 PM   #16
Bus Nut

I called the BMV today and explained I wanted to make the truck a flatbed car hauler. Was told to do a change of body form, and that anything between 16000 and 26000 needs a chauffer's license, under 16000 needs no special license. But, today on the way home I saw a Penske rental truck that said GVW under 16000 on it, and I know you can rent one of those without a chauffer's license. How much do you figure a full size bus weighs anyway? I've got more research to do.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:31 PM   #17
Bus Nut

I found this on the bmv site.

A chauffeur license grants all of those privileges granted by an operator license. In addition, it also permits the operation of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of at least 16,000 but not more than 26,000 pounds (whether single vehicle or combined gross vehicle weight) when used to transport property for hire or as an employee. The chauffeur license does not authorize the holder to carry persons for hire, whether in a bus or a taxicab.

so, the way I take that is that for private use, no chauffeur license is needed. This explains why I see trucks with NOT FOR HIRE on the side. This also explains why anyone with a regular license can rent a 26000 lb truck.

So, A change of body form designating the truck as a flatbed with 26000 (or less) GVWR, and I can drive it for personal use with a regular operator's license.

Cool!
Old 11-20-2007, 10:44 PM   #18
Bus Geek

My 65 passenger, 36 foot long diesel Class C weighs 17,400 lbs without much diesel or any water.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:33 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

You rang?

I wouldn't go near that thing, bdavis. I don't mean to be rude, but I suspect you have a touch of the Big Time Over-the-Road Trucker Hero Virus. You must resist.

The drivetrain would be of interest IF you have a well-thought-out project for it. That engine can put out 500 HP and run a million miles -- IF it is well maintained and not abused. The 9-speed is very strong.

But stuff can also go wrong with that engine. Those things have a history of galvanic corrosion -- which can ruin the block, and then you have a $10.000 boat anchor.

The engine would require an extensive professional inspection to determine if it is any good.

If you mean to just flip the truck for an extra buck -- forget it.

If you want to stuff that GIANT engine under a bus -- go for it! But only if you have extensive skills -- which it doesn't sound like you have, yet. If I had that engine, I would study it carefully to see if it could be modified to run on its side -- under the floor like a mid engine Crown. Of course, now we are deep into day-dreaming-brain-storming territory!

But as a realistic casual trade-and-flip of that ratty old cab-over -- please forget it.

Of course... just my two cents worth!

Oh... Cab-overs went away with the old over-all length limits. Those rules are still quite complicated, but essentially we are allowed to use longer rigs now. And conventionals are much more comfortable to live with, yes.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:53 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Thanks for the input Elliot, I was hoping you'd chime in here. I looked at the truck yesterday, although I do think I could make a nice flatbed car hauler out of it, I think I will pass on it. I don't want to put $1000 in steel for a bed on it and have something expensive go wrong. It could turn costly in a heartbeat. But, I have learned some things about trucks and laws in the process of researching this, knowledge is good. As far as putting that engine in a bus, I would have considered that if I still had my old gas bus, but I'm real happy with the 5.9 in my flatnose. BTW, I'm a metal fabricator for a living which involves anything from stuff you can hold in your hand to giant Industrial jobs. The skills aren't an issue. Thanks again for the input Elliot, I think I'll just buy a new 18' dovetail trailer.
Brad