Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2019, 06:50 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
when ive driven my busses across the country I blew all the weight stations.. and had signs in the rear.. "Vehicle in transport, Not in Service, Personal - Not for Hire - No Passengers"..
never got bothered..

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:30 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
I live down the street from Midwest Transit and they have transporters toting buses out of there all the time!
My bus ended up at a self-storage facility that is randomly just a block away from a company that operates school buses for smaller school systems in the area. They have hundreds of buses in their lots and they're constantly coming and going, which was convenient when I had to drive my bus (with no tags or insurance) to my mechanic - who was two blocks away on the other side of this bus services company (also randomly, it's like this spot was created for me). With so many buses around, it was just inconceivable that I would have been pulled over and luckily all went well.
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:11 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchtech View Post
Brad_SwiftFur - The real test will be getting insurance. I have heard that Progressive will issue a policy "commercial for private use". I already have a relationship with a local insurance agent who works with Progressive. I also put in a call to my state's department of transportation, driver licensing section, regarding the legality of my operating a bus that weighs just a hair over 26,000 lbs for the purpose of bringing it home after purchasing it out of state, they affirm that t is legal.
It doesn't weigh over 26k, that's the GVW. I had to go through a title conversion on mine and talked to a few state police officers about it. One of them said I could tell the DMV whatever I wanted for a GVW, regardless of what the title or data plate said. The only catch being that I better be at or under that if I ever get weighed. The GVW on our bus is 29k, but it weighs in at 15.6k empty. When I get it registered as an RV I will claim the GVW is 25.9k to stay under the 26,001 limit. I doubt I will ever get close to that weight.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:16 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
If you're truly worried about the bus's weight, go find a CAT scale (usually at truck stops). I'd avoid Missouri like the plague. They weigh sailboat fuel and charge by the cu. ft.

As for needing a CDL, you worry too much. Spend a little bit of time getting used to your new toy before embarking on your trip northward.

Driving in something painted SBY renders you practically invisible.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:58 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Since we are not required to stop at weigh stations, I think GVWR becomes moot. Buses weigh different rates, some empty may still weigh over 26k and have a higher GVWR. Mine is 19400 gutted. As mentioned erm, the owner of the vehicle sets the GVWR, as verified by my local DMV.

I'm going to start a thread now on "I Got Pulled Over By LEO" to see how many of us have ever been actually pulled over and for what reason? I think we all worry too much.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:42 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Missouri has signs posted, stating "Buses weigh."
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:17 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
When you go to a weigh station, how do they know your GVWR? It is only listed on my title, surely I don't have to present my title at every weigh station.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:04 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
When you go to a weigh station, how do they know your GVWR? It is only listed on my title, surely I don't have to present my title at every weigh station.
Weigh stations aren't concerned about GVWR, they are checking axle weights as you cross the scale or W-I-M sensor but they are also often checking things like IFTA validity and that's gonna be a stickler because school buses very rarely have this since they don't often cross state lines. And yes Missouri does state that buses weigh so you're inviting scrutiny just by passing through the scale. If you have good luck talking your way out of speeding tickets then be my guest!
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:45 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
As mentioned erm, the owner of the vehicle sets the GVWR ...

Not *Entirely* correct. The manufacturer determines the max GVWR based on axles, bearings, springs, brakes, tires, and all that. Most larger vehicles have data plates/stickers clearly indicating these max weights and occasionally listed in the national database of VIN's as well.

Now, we *CAN* register our buses for less weight, mostly to save on weight-calculated taxes where appropriate, but as noted above, if you're caught over that, you can get overweight tickets, even if it's under the manufacturer's GVWR (because you haven't paid the appropriate tax for the weight you're running). If you're running over the manufacturer's GVWR (even if you've declared more and have appropriate tags for it), you could in theory still get an overweight ticket for exceeding the manufacturer's GVWR (in many cases you'll probably be over axle limits at this point, or close to it.)

GVWR's can be changed from the vehicle's "as-built" rating but most states require a certified/licensed auto manufacturer/builder to issue a new Certificate of Origin with the new weight ratings (often with considerable engineering and appropriate parts to go with it). If you, for example, add a "tag axle" or convert the rear to tandem axles, you could certainly justify a higher GVWR but the state will likely want a certification that it was done safely and properly. Your insurance company will too.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:59 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Weigh stations aren't concerned about GVWR, they are checking axle weights as you cross the scale or W-I-M sensor but they are also often checking things like IFTA validity and that's gonna be a stickler because school buses very rarely have this since they don't often cross state lines. And yes Missouri does state that buses weigh so you're inviting scrutiny just by passing through the scale. If you have good luck talking your way out of speeding tickets then be my guest!
None of which applies to my private , non commercial bus, so what are my worries?
Old 05-25-2019, 10:27 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchtech View Post
The bus is in Texas and it is still painted yellow and has school bus signs. It's GVWR is 26,250 and I do not have a CDL. Any chance I could drive it to Wisconsin without any troubles with the authorities?

Tape or paint over all the school bus signs
desparado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:35 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by desparado View Post
Tape or paint over all the school bus signs
Why, do you think they would frown upon this school lettering?
Attached Thumbnails
20190525_232955.jpg  
Old 05-25-2019, 11:13 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

to the OP,

I just spent a half hour typing up a post in the "pulled over by a LEO" thread, 9? of the 10 incidents i listed were in wisco. i tour coast to coast bud, but yes i do spend a lot of time up here.

that being said, they resulted in a grand total of $20 in tickets and a very stern goodbye - so my advice? buy it, cover any numbers and signage, take the stop sign off, drive it up here, park it somewhere that's good for long term, title and plate it, then drive it again wherever. technically the list of stuff to cover in wisco is kinda long
superbusWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:08 AM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Cover all signage, have seats removed and your under 26,000lbs
ddcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:24 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Saying it's a bus on the title does not designate it as a commercial vehicle.
Varies by state.

Here in WA, if it has a GVRW of over 26k or seats 16 or more, you must have a CDL unless it is an RV.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:42 AM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

But removing the seats has to remove 250lbs or more that it is over the 26,000lb limit..
ddcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:59 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddcam View Post
But removing the seats has to remove 250lbs or more that it is over the 26,000lb limit..
GVRW not scale weight. Unfortunately removing weight does not change your GVRW.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:26 AM   #38
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
My tidbits:

The weight of the bus will vary - my GVWR is 25,500
When I bought my bus - with seats, it weighed 16,450. After converting it - I am at 17,240 (Steer Axle 5700lbs / Drive Axle 11,540 lbs). Remember that the GVWR is the maximum weight recommended for the vehicle (not how much it weighs). My bus is a 48 passenger bus - so in the GVWR is the average weight of 48 students + driver + other things.

I have noted that each state varies in regards to large vehicles. If you are driving through a state, it is best to look up the laws for that state - or call the state Dept. of transportation.
I have never stopped at a weight station - except for the mandatory watercraft stops in Nevada, Utah, Montana. But only to do a check on my Kayak.

However, I have a CDL-Class B license with passenger and air brake endorsements. I drive very safely at 55MPH on the Highways. I have never done anything to warrant being pulled over. I have had law enforcement talk with me while I was parked - asking about the bus and interested in taking a tour. I give tours of my bus freely.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:16 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Varies by state.

Here in WA, if it has a GVRW of over 26k or seats 16 or more, you must have a CDL unless it is an RV.
If it's under 26k, has no seats, and the title says BUS, does not make it a commercial vehicle. Other things may decide if a CDL is needed, but it's not because it says BUS on the title.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:30 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Missouri has rotating signs at scale entry that say "Buses Weigh" when for some reason the scale master wants to weigh a bus but I've lived here more than 50 yrs and rarely seen them rotated to traffic and to be honest the weigh scales in MO are open less here than most states,and are not particularily aggressive or mean spirited if you are an 18 wheeler in a decrepit oil splattered pos looking rig you are likely to be inspected otherwise you you will most likely be on your way. I have blown by most scales in most places in most states in various vehicles and have never been pulled over or detained.